Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your Favourite AD doing the rounds!

• 28-03-2003 7:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭

Whats your favourite AD thats doing the rounds on TV at the moment?

My personal fave is the SkyNews Sports AD's (the one's with the snooker player)

Whats ur's?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

I like the Smirnoff ad where the dolphin trainer does all the stunts because his dolphins are too reluctant to.
    The US Navy should get that guy out to the Gulf if the dolphins are too scared to disarm those sea mines:D
    I have never been a big fan of Nike ads.I usually saw them as average and more often than not pandering to the Man U fans.The stickman ones are OK but TBH I dont think they are anything special,unlike some people.
    Despite the fact is it a blatant rip off of the Smack My Bitch Up video I like the new Northern Ireland anti drinking ad,I suppose because I liked the video it is based on.
    "Anyone enjoys a drink.Nobody enjoys a drunk"
    Well,in my opinion there are one or two ways to enjoy a drunken blonde like the one in the ad..........:)

Particularly since in one part she tries to kiss another girl,indicating a bit of pre match entertainment,so to speak:D

Mmmmmmmmmm,drunken lesbians.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Carlsberg Nightclub.

If Carlsberg Did Nightclubs they would Probably be the best nightclubs in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Originally posted by Elmo
    Carlsberg Nightclub.

If Carlsberg Did Nightclubs they would Probably be the best nightclubs in the world

bit old aint it??

theres no add really i like atm [except the one for ariel with yar one, who baby gets all messy, oh yeah...:rolleyes: ]

the music from the BPM add has been going through my head for about 3 weeks now :(

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I like the new advert for Tennents Lager.

And some of the Smirnoff Ice ads (pity about the drink)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Nike soccer freestyle ad with the stickman.
    Or (a bit old now) the John Smith ads with Peter Kay I think it is. Funny stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i like the one where some guy is on the internet and spots a site with a web cam. the web cam is in his room. and then he shouts "Jason".

ditto for the other one where his son puts his car up for sale for €2

i think it's McDonalds who did them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

The mints ad with the dog coming out of your mans mouth is really funny but its been banned I read why did the public complain?:confused:
    I'm getting tired of those Lunpolly ads with the annoyning girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

You'd think with the amount of money Nike have they'd be able to come up with a better character than "Stickman".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

the renault "ass shakin' " ad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

I saw a good Budweiser ad on the Discovery channel there last night about a a couple in a shopping mall, it had me in stitches :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

This one is v.old and i only ever saw it once but it was my fav add ever so i thought it post it anyway...

It started with a woman giving birth...the baby comes out @ speed and goes flying through the hospital bashign through doors etc....it flys outa the hospital and start growing and geting older and older still flyign through the sky passing trees / city etc...then it goes to an old man and drops to the ground...

The caption reads - "life is shrot ....play more - X-Box"

even thought i hate micrsoft it thought it was a brilliant add and dont know where it went !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

"Its got to be....FRD!"

AARGGGHH!! I hate that effin' Ad.

Oops. Wrong thread!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by smuckers
    The mints ad with the dog coming out of your mans mouth is really funny but its been banned I read why did the public complain?:confused:

Yah, I liked that ad. Damp dog - perfect description of hungover mouth.

Can anyone give us any reason why someone would find that ad offensive? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭oneweb

Originally posted by Tusky
    It started with a woman giving birth...

Yeah I saw that once. At first I thought it was awful, as it went on though I found it funnier.

My best for the moment is the Michael Winner(I think) - he's driving along talking about car insurance for the older people. He bumps into the back of a woman's car (and makes the funniest 'what was that' kinda gesture). This woman consequently starts going bezerk at him. He nonchalantly turns round as he's talking about the service and tells her to "relax, it's just a commercial" :D

Anyone find that a lot of the ads are better than the bits of television between them?

It is what it's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Most cringeworthy ad lately is one of the new Daz ads. Mother finds "off white" bra in sons bedroom. Walks to the pub with arm stretched in front of her, holding the offending item, and confronts her son. Absolutely terrible........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭EL_Diablo

The heineken green energy festival ads about the band.
    "We don't want you in the band anymore."
    "MAAAAAAAAAA!"

or
    "Tranformers? Wheres the S? I'm working with a bunch of saps"

But of the old ones it has to be the Tennents ad with the talking pints
    "There's been a murder"
    "Can i do it I've never done a murder"
    "Shut up or I'll murder you"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

Originally posted by seamus
    Yah, I liked that ad. Damp dog - perfect description of hungover mouth.

Can anyone give us any reason why someone would find that ad offensive? :confused:

i read it was because it scared the sh|t out of kids, which i find believable, as it scared me and i'm an 'adult' :(:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by Tusky
    even thought i hate micrsoft it thought it was a brilliant add and dont know where it went !

that is one of my all time favourite ads. it is pure genius. it got banned in the UK because it offended too many people. was probably pulled here at the same time
    Originally posted by EL_Diablo
    "Tranformers? Wheres the S? I'm working with a bunch of saps"

i saw that last night and i think it is much better than last years attempt where we saw someone weaving through an empty pub and some guy screaming and shouting at a busker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Like [JcCM]Murderer, my fav is one of the Sky News Sportsline stings....

Game of tennis, girl serves an ace, in by about a foot, chair umpire calls it out, she (ugly) looks on in disbelief, Umpire says "Game to the pretty one, the pretty one leads 5-love!" He smiles leeringly!

Genius. Pity that there has not been a sports bulletin on Sky News since war broke out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

Originally posted by The Gopher
    I like the Smirnoff ad where the dolphin trainer does all the stunts because his dolphins are too reluctant to.

Is the dolphin trainer dude Rhys Ifans?

Imo the one for the chewing gum/dog breath was funny and shouldnt have been taken off air...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

anyone of the sprite ones especially the sprite shaving system one

about the dog breath one my 4 year old cousin cant sleep due to nightmares after she see's that add(well it happened twice anyway)..........same goes for when she watches stargate sg1, farscape, angel/buffy etc..... i dont get to watch much tv when she's around................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Samara

I like all the WKD ads, some are old but funny, the guy in the shower wondering why the shampoo won't rinse off, the guy on the beach showing off and his mates dig a hole under his towel....all pretty amusing...then again, I am so easily amused :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

The budweiser one where the eagle goes off to get a bottle of Bud and terrorises the people in the cafe. Heh I want an eagle like that.

But I love that "pretty one leads 5-0" too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by Panda
    Is the dolphin trainer dude Rhys Ifans?

no.

Game to the pretty one is classic. (As was the 'Ave it' football one).

The heino Transformers ads are indeed brilliant....must be the quality of the people working on them,..... :)

Originally posted by mooman_00
    my 4 year old cousin cant sleep due to nightmares

4year old? How about 22? Well, not quite :p but it is an ad of very poor taste (no pun intended) It's just not warranted. If anything I'd just not buy the product. Ppl have different tastes and I don't think the majority would find the humour outweighs the vulgarity of the ad.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by oneweb
    4year old? How about 22? Well, not quite :p but it is an ad of very poor taste (no pun intended) It's just not warranted. If anything I'd just not buy the product. Ppl have different tastes and I don't think the majority would find the humour outweighs the vulgarity of the ad.

I'm not attacking you here....but WTF IS SO OFFENSIVE ABOUT THE AD? :) The wet dog is representative of the taste in yer man's mouth after a night on the beer. And a great representation it is too. The dog coming out his mouth? Come on, that's not even slightly disturbing. You've seen worse that that on the Simpsons.

You've seen worse that that on the Simpsons.

That's true, but the Simpsons are not as realistic (obviously).
    that's not even slightly disturbing.

I personally think the ad is disturbing. The wet dog is nothing, it's the actual process of it "coming out of" the bloke's mouth that is. Just as I wouldn't care to watch a baby coming out of a woman, I wouldn't care to see that ad!`

It is what it's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Just remembered about the WKD ones! Fave one of those is the brick wall one!

Sprite ad's are good aswell...

Smirnoff Ice is good aswell...

Carlsberg....

All good.

But that Pampers ad with the baby bottom... thats just the best of em all.. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭simon_partridge

In the UK we get a Guinness one with a hurling player about to take a crucial penalty (?) and it says "What must be going through that young man's mind?" and "Will he be going home to a hero's welcome?", all in an Irish accent, and with lots of flashes between a packed welcoming bar and the hurling "ball" resembling a 16 ton weight. We never find out what happens as it ends with the cue flying through the air to hit the ball, and making a Guinness head. That's quite funny. Is it out in Ireland?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by simon_partridge
    Is it out in Ireland?

Yep.

The one for the UK Yellow Pages is hilarious! He(James Nesbit) tries to cut his girl's hair (sure why pay so much for a haircut) but fails miserably. The mother arrives home to the shocking result. They all go to the hairdresser. NOW I KNOW THAT MY YOUNG GIRL'S HAIR IS A MESS BUT I'D VERY MUCH APPRECIATE IF YOU COULD FIX IT, I'LL EVEN PAY YOU DOUBLE. thank you very much, wink , all while throwing his hands about the place so the wife, who's sitting in the car, can see his annoyance.

:):D:) excellent stuff!

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

My favorite ad right now is Barry Spinekers new one for Walkers crisps in which he buys all the tickets at Croker for a match between Dublin and Kerry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

"Will he be going home to a hero's welcome?", all in an Irish accent
    That's the voice of Michael O'Muircheartaigh, legendary GAA commentator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭simon_partridge

Originally posted by Fidelis
    That's the voice of Michael O'Muircheartaigh, legendary GAA commentator.
    Was the clip taken from a real game, then? And if so, was the goal scored??

You really should try thinking before posting :)

no, and its irrelevant :)

Nope...

The team defending was the Killkenny hurlers (Booooh!) and the hurler was some English guy!

btw, going back to the thread,

Just saw the new Sprite 1... The shaving system, must try it sometime :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I love the WKD adds also..

There is one that is shown in the cinema (havnt seen it on TV). Anyway all the lads are on holiday and one of them gets the eye of this chambermaid and then later on he meets her in the nightclub and they get on really well. The next morning she is going around the rooms collecting all the bedsheets and the guys mates pour some WKD on his bed so when she collects the sheets she thinks he has p***ed himself...its sooo funny... i also love the WKD ad where the bloke brings his girlfriend up to his flat and all the lads are cleaning just wearing jocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Sprite shaving Ad is very good. Also like the one with the old ladies running through the walls in a parody of that Levis' one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭Tom

The new Honda Accord ad is very clever and worth a watch. It is up on their website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'm with Tom on this one ... I think the new honda accord advert is really slick and keeps your attnetion well.

I've watched it in full 3/4 times now despite knowing exactly what it's for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Originally posted by [JcCM]Murderer
    Nope...

The team defending was the Killkenny hurlers (Booooh!) and the hurler was some English guy!

The guy is also holding the hurl completely wong if you look at him.

Also love the heineken ads, the best one is when they are doing a 'gig' outside the house and it looks like it's a concert, and they all run in when the guards come. priceless.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

I like the Sure for men ad ,were the guy is gettin dressed to go out and is kung fu fighting,
    then in the taxi he is fighting and , he pays and jumps out then in the restaruant he impresses the family of his girlfriend by not havin sweat patches under his arm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭T.G Catter

I really like the smirnoff dolphin one..... totally craaazeee, but cool...

Originally posted by Tom
    The new Honda Accord ad is very clever and worth a watch.[/URL]

Thats actually gud as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

the NikeFreeStlye ads.

soccer,
    basketball

and, a stroke of genius,

frisbee. brilliant

HAHAHA...lol!

just after seeing a Burger King ad on tv.

Bus driver with a load o tourists and he's like "on the left the Grand canyon..big ole hole in the ground" n speeds on b4 any pixels can be taken.
    Same with the Hoover Dam..
    and then drives straight through Las Vagas at speed!

Spots a Burger King and pulls over! [tis funni to me anyway :p]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Agreed the Honda Accord ad is the business.

Anyone know if it is a genuine one take, or has it been digitally enhanced.

Heh, i think youll find its lots of takes composited together. Most of the motion looks a bit off. Id guess theres a fair amount of CG in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Sprite, you know it's just not right. (Shaving one)
    Love the bit when he's walking into the bathroom and he playfully ounches himself in the face...

What an ad.

And the one where they hang the guy upside down from a roof with Sprite on the soles of his shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    Sprite, you know it's just not right. (Shaving one)
    Love the bit when he's walking into the bathroom and he playfully ounches himself in the face...

What an ad.

And the one where they hang the guy upside down from a roof with Sprite on the soles of his shoes.

You always had good taste man !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

i love the wkd ads i think there class or the sprite one, the john smith one where there is a group of lads doin fancy skills with a football and the fella booted the ball away is class

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Sprite ads are usually funny, the one where the lad gets bitten by the snake...man that cracks me up. I love all the Sky News sport ads, theres at least 2 snooker ones, a tennis one and a cricket one...they're all hilarious. The one that makes me laugh every time I see it is the John Smiths spring-board diving one. Pure class.

I'd laugh at a stick if it pulled a funny face. :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement