Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which DSL router?

Options
  • 28-03-2003 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of getting residential broadband when eircom (or preferably utv) release it. They say i don't have to get their dsl modem, so i'm thinking of saving money and buying one seperately. What do i need to know about it?

I can tell it probably needs to support PPPoE, and since i'll be using it for a few machines, i'd like 4 RJ45 sockets, and it seems like i'll need one RJ11 to connect to the wall socket? That's what all the machines on adslguide.org.uk seem to have, but when i looked on newegg.com (where i tend to buy hardware, cos it's cheap), all their devices have 4 RJ45s for the PCs, and then a further RJ45 called "WAN". Is this just the american system? I'm pertty sure they use RJ11 for phones, but maybe DSL microfilters use RJ45? Or are these devices intended to be used with a dedicated DSL modems with RJ11 in and RJ45 out to the router?
    If this is the case, why do newegg not seem to stock any integrated DSL modems / routers like the ones on adslguide?

Sorry if this question is big and cumbersome! any help would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

RJ45 are ethernet connections. The router needs a modem to connect to it.

You can can get a router with a built-in modem. Make sure its compatible first as BT ADSL is different to the EIRCOM ADSL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

I would recommend the D-Link DSL-504

it has 4 ports for 4 PCs, and a built in DSL modem

google for features or reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Stan: I would recommend the D-Link DSL-504

Anyone have any reccomendations for a wireless variant?
    Or point me in the direction of a resource (website) which reviews and discusses wireless routers?

Many Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

D-Link have a wireless variant. google for it

it is about twice the price though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Hi, microdirect.co.uk are selling this router for £ 63.45 sterling, inc VAT. It looks decent. Supports RADSL and PPPoE.

I'm not too knowledgeable on routers. Can anyone see (from the specs) why this one might be a Bad Purchase[tm]?

They're selling it as "unbranded" but the photo seems to have a great big dirty brand name scrawled across it - can anyone make it out?

Thanks,
    mo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by Balfa
    Hi, microdirect.co.uk are selling this router for £ 63.45 sterling, inc VAT. It looks decent. Supports RADSL and PPPoE.

Any adsl modem will support radsl, jsut for some reason theres a rumor eircoms radsl is pppoa(just like esats service) probably something to do with costs. I cant seem to tell what connections it has. the reason the other where using rj45's instead of rj11 is because thats the uk standard for BT lines, (and also irish isdn line). you could have bought it if you wanted and purchased and rj45-rj11 convertor for about 10 euro. I think they even sell them in argos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

BT dont use RJ45. Any modem you get in the UK has a RJ11 connector on it; they just supply a cable to connect into a BT socket. RJ45 is whats used in networking, e.g. on cat5 cabling and is also used for ISDN here.

Originally posted by bkehoe
    BT dont use RJ45. Any modem you get in the UK has a RJ11 connector on it; they just supply a cable to connect into a BT socket. RJ45 is whats used in networking, e.g. on cat5 cabling and is also used for ISDN here.

I'm pretty sure that BT lines some with a rj45 connection as standard. Though your right modems come with a stard LJU, you then have a convertor from rj45 to LJU/RJ11 not unlike this unit

Unfortunatly you cant see the other side of that adapter, only the RJ11 connector, and I suspect that they're just calling the standard bt sockets 'rj45' by mistake.

im saying its a rj45 connection because i've a few BT and NTl phones around(don't ask) and they use an rj45 conenction. Also take a look at this site, and its phone conenctions for the uk

• Advertisement

None of those are RJ45, and none of the stuff at http://www.solwise.co.uk/telesun.htm is either. Could you take a picture of the connector on these phones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭DSLinAbsentia

I'm using a Netgear DG824M Wireless Router/Ethernet Hub/DSL Modem all-in-one. Very nice piece of hardware. You can probably get it for about 200 euro from dslwarehouse.co.uk or some such outlet. Good range on the wireless aswell - 4 houses either side of me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

I know what RJ11 and RJ45 connectors are. And yes, BT do use their very own proprietary connector. Boston, any modern telephone that have removable cables will have an RJ11 socket on the telephone, but in england, there's this big skanky BT connection on the other end of that cable that goes into a big skanky socket on BT's wallbox. We have one of those skanky BT wall boxes at home, that we fitted yonks ago, so that we could buy our own telephone in the north (back when you couldn't buy your own telephone and still had to pay telecom eireann for phone rental as well as line rental).

Have a look at the "TEL" socket on the first image on that http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters.htm site you posted above. That's the big skanky BT socket i'm talking about, and it's about 4 times bigger than RJ11, and at least twice as big as the RJ45 beside it.

Now getting back on topic, has anyone seen a DSL modem/router for sale cheaper than that microdirect one i posted? I don't really care about features as long as it works in ireland and has at least 4 ports on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

The Solwise SAR715 is sold to ireland via solwise website

Their forum say that it will not work via eircon dsl because it is setup for PPPoA rather than PPPoE but will work through configuration changes here
    I have not got one yet but am considering because the solwise modems have good reviews from adslguide.org.uk , are at good prices plus the support looks comprehensive on the forum there :):)

Originally posted by Balfa
    I know what RJ11 and RJ45 connectors are. And yes, BT do use their very own proprietary connector. Boston, any modern telephone that have removable cables will have an RJ11 socket on the telephone, but in england, there's this big skanky BT connection on the other end of that cable that goes into a big skanky socket on BT's wallbox. We have one of those skanky BT wall boxes at home, that we fitted yonks ago, so that we could buy our own telephone in the north (back when you couldn't buy your own telephone and still had to pay telecom eireann for phone rental as well as line rental).

Have a look at the "TEL" socket on the first image on that http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters.htm site you posted above. That's the big skanky BT socket i'm talking about, and it's about 4 times bigger than RJ11, and at least twice as big as the RJ45 beside it.

Now getting back on topic, has anyone seen a DSL modem/router for sale cheaper than that microdirect one i posted? I don't really care about features as long as it works in ireland and has at least 4 ports on it.

to me it looks about the same as an connection on isdnlines which afaik is rj45. anyway the point was that bt don't use rj11 and i think thats been established.

back on topic, VIA's offers two adsl services one pppoa and one pppoe, last i heard anyway. the new r-adsl service is pppoa, though this isn't from a reliable source. just say that site may be talkign abotu via's current services

Advertisement