Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is there any ppl left on IOL NOLIMITS

Options
  • 29-03-2003 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

it was only a few months ago that i found out a load of people were kicked of Nolimits for "excessive usage" and now they have a 75 hour per month limit, but i was just wondering is there anyone still on Nolimits, because i am still, and i'm on it a hell of a lot more than 75 hours per month. plus out of curiousty ive been keeping it on most nights from 6pm to 7.55am in the morning and constantly over the weekends, but i haven't heard a peep from ESAT BT. so am i alone here or is there anyone else out there still on IOL nolimts?????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

i am.
    still alive.
    wouldnt be on it 75 hours a week tbh (practically off all during the week) , maybe a bit less.
    iv been on it since like september 2000, and had dsl (trial) from febuary 2001 to november 2001, so never used it during that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Patrick

I'm on it too. It's great really. I leave it on most nights :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Don't keep your NoLimits connection running unless you need it, it's unfair as Esat have to pay Eircom by the minute. All you're doing is giving the rat more money, unless of course you need it for downloads, etc, in which case it's fair to keep it on (IMHO). What I have is a 90 second timeout configured on my ISDN router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭p2p

I'm still on no limits myself
    Urban is bang on, u really shouldnt leave it
    on for longer than you need it.
    Keep in mind this could affect decisions made
    by UTV when putting together their FRIACO offering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

/me hand up
    Been on it for bout 2-3 years. No probs with it except for that mysterious phantom http problem that appears now and again to kill my web viewing pleasure :p Although there were people booted from it about a year or so ago, I'd still watch my usage.

Dizz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

I am still on it despite them trying to kick me off :D

I have a disconnect now after 5 minutes inactivity.

The service has been pretty crap since Esat launched Netsmart with http ceasing intermittently all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Kenshin

I'm on it too.
    I don't think they've ever had the ability to know how many hours a month you're using it for...
    I use it a lot, but dont usually leave it on while I sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭skrobe

yep im still on it, and use it more(90hrs offpeak) than 75hrs a month(i thought this was 100hrs anyway) but i do use it alot during peak hrs so i cant see them doing anything to me, or to anybody else as utv is too good an opposition:)
    j

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Synkronite

Im still on No Limits- and was almost kicked off in what became the start of Ireland Offline. At present I use roughly 100-120 hours a week offpeak and none on-peak. I'll be getting ADSL in a couple of weeks, so this could be the end of the best internet service Ive had for the last 3+ years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by daveirl
    Isn't this more Net/Comms than IOFFL anyway?
    Pah, do you people ever sleep:)

Moving to Nets/Comms as I do my little tantrum dance and stamp my foot (or rather one of my feet).

Still on NoLimits btw. And the http problem is still happening to me occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭brian_ire

Don't keep your NoLimits connection running unless you need it, it's unfair as Esat have to pay Eircom by the minute. All you're doing is giving the rat more money, unless of course you need it for downloads, etc, in which case it's fair to keep it on (IMHO). What I have is a 90 second timeout configured on my ISDN router.

in my defence, i only left it running as some what of an experiment to see if i got any response out of ESAT BT. also in fairness now its not up to the consumer (ie. me) to be "fair" to a big ol' multinational corporation, i believe it's the other way around. as its been said many times before, call your product 'nolimts' and what do you expect; but sure we all know where this is goin' so i'll stop before i start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭tech

Im still on No Limits And have been since it came out over 4-5 years ago Id say its a great service, I thought they would have killed it off when Esat Bt came into the picture and made a whole new service like NetSmart

I use its 3-4 hours a night and alot of the weekend..... Im a happy customer :))

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Callan

Im still on "No Limits". Im getting cable of ntl tomorrow so ill be cancelling it shortly.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Also still on No Limits. Have been for over 3 years now. Happy to still be on the service! I thought the 75hour cap was only a rumour? Yes they can indeed tell how long you've been using the service, as the bills list the amount of hours spent online. Since I got ISDN, I would use over 100 hours per month...

Used to get the http errors too but haven't experienced the problem in a while now, besides, it's a small niggle...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Yep, I'm still on it too, and I leave it on pretty much every night after people stop using the phone/whining about using the phone, to download stuff... :P

It does sound like the 75 (70?) hour thing is a rumour. Heh...

Haven't had any problems with nolimits for a long time, esat have by and large been keeping it in good shape :)

That's a nice idea uw, but you do have the benefit of having ISDN with its ~1 second dialup time, compared with 45 seconds or so on pstn.
    Waiting for proper dsl/wireless coverage [and a job, and money to afford em... riiiight] :)

zynaps

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Eye

Eye too am a happy no limits user

i have to say i've been told the limit was 150hrs/month but either way i still think it's a myth coz for the past 5 months or so i've been milking it for all it's worth, usually getting between 6-8 hrs a night from it.

only using it during off peak hours and according to DU meter getting about 200-250 hrs/month

tiz a great service and look forward to getting a letter from iol soon ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Still on NoLimits here too and use it practically daily. Still get the odd http outage too and while it's annoying, it seems to be getting less and less frequent.

The 75 hour limit wasn't by any means a 'rumour' - it was officially announced by Esat and was one of the (many) catalysts for the formation of IrelandOFFLine... but it seems that Esat/IOL never actually implemented the limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

I'm still on it for about 6 hours a day or so \o/

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by Bard
    The 75 hour limit wasn't by any means a 'rumour' - it was officially announced by Esat and was one of the (many) catalysts for the formation of IrelandOFFLine... but it seems that Esat/IOL never actually implemented the limit.

Was this around the same time that they were going have your connection dropped every 2 hours of use? this never happened either (and at the time when it was impossible to connect, I wish they had introduced that 2hour disconnect, which I think BT do to their customers)

Anyway, NoLimits pwns! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I also heard about the cap, and I don't think it was implemented, but with so many people using it for so long, it could only be a matter of time. I also remember hearing that they would never kick anyone else off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

I get the feeling that they [esat] are probably not paying too much attention to the service, much the same way as ntl's cable users seem to be left to their own devices.

No problem.... :)
    (download download download)

zynaps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

yup i to am a NOLimits customer from bascially since they started offering it. I use it about 5/6hr a night during the week and then more at the weekend though it depends what i'm doing. I actualyy was oblivious to the whole big thing about people getting kicked off it and only learned about it when i joined boards. i think i'll have to be parting with the service soon as i've been told that its not compatible with ISDN so i'll have to get netsmart instead. Aside from the different caps for netsmart plans r they're any other bad thnig about it?

Advertisement