Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P2P 2k Network Probs

Options
  • 29-03-2003 4:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

this is doin me sheggin head in.

2 Pcs (IBM-450 and Barb) Barb is a 233mmx

I have DSL and ICS setup on IBM under RASPPPOE

From the IBM, I can access all the shares on Barb, no prob and transfer files back and forth.

However Barb cannot either see the IBM or cannot connect to it (not found on server, blah blah) depending on what mood its in.

Its not an account problem as it was working fine for a while. Recently it has been giving me crap, like not connecing shares at logon, but work fine when I boot into windows.

I uninstalled all protocols and services on both machines and re-installed them, then re mapped the drives, worked fine after booting the IBM.

Now having rebooted Barb im at the original problem I speak of. IBM can see and acess Barb, Barb somtimes sees IBM and cannot access it or cannot see it, or claims the workgroup details are not accessible. But while this is going on, IBM can still access barb

Sorry if this is a bit of a rant, but its pi$$in me off!

can anyone help me, im considering refereshing the OS, but would rather fix it "properly"

TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

ibm has 2 nics

1 goes to internet

1 goes to lan

firewall is on on both nics

turn it off on the one leading to barb only

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

i only had the firewall on the DSL nic :(

its wierd, on IBM I click on network places, computer near me and it says "worgroup not accessible..." blah, blah, yet my shared drives on Barb can be acessed.

If i go to Barb now, I see both computers in netowork paces, but if I try to access it (IBM), it claims the computer is not accessible, wrong path!

i even uninstalled the firewall, no difference. checked for virus's on both machines.....nothing.

the network was working with the firewall in place before too

wreckin me buzz!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Possibly one of the machines is becoming browse master and the other doesn't like it.. Try and force one to be browse master and the other not.

Bit of a long shot, only really seen this problem before on win95/98 machines.

GAv

yea, it feels like sumfin along that track.

how do I force a brouse master?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

sorry, I can't find the option for windows 2000. As I say, it was only with 98/95 I encountered it before. It was in the network properties on those OS's.

Gav

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I just saw this thread and thought the same thing (browser) .. check your event log .. look for something that says that the computer browser service could not be started or similar ... you'll have to go into the computer managment screen and set it to automatic (in the services section)

Thats kinda funny, I always say the same thing to others about event log, and do it on other' computers!!

anyho, services wise, nothing has been disabled since it was working fine, just rechecked my services and nothing strange there.

In the event log (on IBM) however, there is a couple of interesting errors:

Event Source: ipnathlp
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 30013
    Date: 3/31/2003
    Time: 2:35:39 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: IBM-450
    Description:
    The DHCP allocator has disabled itself on IP address 169.254.239.200, since the IP address is outside the 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 scope from which addresses are being allocated to DHCP clients. To enable the DHCP allocator on this IP address, please change the scope to include the IP address, or change the IP address to fall within the scope.

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: Dhcp
    Event ID: 1007
    Date: 3/31/2003
    Time: 2:35:39 PM
    Description:
    Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 00022AF16B2D. The IP address being used is 169.254.239.200.

and earlier:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: NetBT
    Event ID: 4319
    Date: 3/30/2003
    Time: 6:28:12 PM
    Description:
    A duplicate name has been detected on the TCP network. The IP address of the machine that sent the message is in the data. Use nbtstat -n in a command window to see which name is in the Conflict state.

and on Barb:

vent Type: Error
    Event Source: MRxSmb
    Event ID: 8003
    Date: 3/29/2003
    Time: 5:03:12 PM
    Computer: L2M3N3
    Description:
    The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer IBM-450 that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{0CA2B9C1-36EA-4190-A. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

I dont usually look for help, as I like to figure out stuff myself.

But any ideas out there?

there was a couple of NAT errors too, but im not too worried about them ATM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

er... does ibm-450 have "obtain an IP address automatically"? (found under TCP/IP properties) or are you telling it what IP to use? ..

its on DHCP, I thought ICS automatically fixed the Ip of the NIC that shares the connection?

Hmm

• Advertisement
Advertisement