Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New GBA

Options
  • 29-03-2003 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Just priced one of these by ringing up GAME. 150 Euros.

I already have a GBA and have to say the one thing that abosultely annoys the crap out of me is the lack of a back lit screen. You can forget about playing it in any kind of dark location.

So, question is, is the new one worth the asking price. I know, I have to say that it looks super cool. Anyone got one yet ? Shinji ? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I couldn't resist getting one.

It's expensive - especially when placed alongside the €80 GBA, but the light is an absolute godsend. The screen seems sharper and isn't as reflective either. It's also tiny, around the size of a mini-disc player. Only negative is the absense of the headphone port, because the sound is as tinny as ever.

It also comes with a coupon that if you send away your receipt for a GameCube bought in March/April, you'll get €50. Considering some of the deals going in the UK at the moment, it might be worth taking a trip across the border to pick one up.

Oh, and try GamesWorld in town, I got mine there for €125.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I got myself the black one. Man, it's bloody cool. In work at the moment so can't wait to get it home to play some of the games on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

No headphone socket?

Might pick up an old GBA with an afterburner then - headphone would be a bit of a must for me.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by TinCool
    Hey,

Just priced one of these by ringing up GAME. 150 Euros.

Nintendo said it would be “at around” €129 - €139

more details... http://gamire.com/gamire/newsitem?batchstart=40&id=413

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

I'm gonna have to see one before I buy it.. How good is the light?
    Like can you play in pitch dark? And is the screen bigger than the original gba?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Zukustious

I think Nintendo are ripping us off here. They're just fixing the faults of the previous GBA, and they aren't even doing it properly. There's no headphone port.

I bought a GBA in the hope of reliving the good old SNES days. There was many a fantastic RPG game to play on that. It was the best console ever, in my opinion. So far, the GBA hasn't lived up to my expectations so there's no way I'm gonna dish out €150, unless there's some sort of deal involved with trading in an old GBA. Similar to what Microsoft did when they lowered the price of the XBox.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

they are bringing out a lil (CHEAP) thign that goes on side that allows u to plug in headfones.....i know it should have come with it but at least u gett o use headfones...

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

To use headphones you need a headphone adapter that plugs into the multiport (same port used for recharging). It looks like it's done this way cause there's no room on the tiny thing and yeah, it also means more money to Nintendo. It's not really that expensive and I got one myself when I ordered a black gba sp from lik-sang over a week ago.

Originally posted by monument
    Nintendo said it would be “at around” €129 - €139

I actually paid €139. The guy on the phone must have been thick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

gameboyadvancesp_010703_small3.jpg
    gameboyadvancesp_010703_small2.jpg
    gameboyadvancesp_010703_small1.jpg
    gameboyadvancesp_010703.jpg

Sexy

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Mind the silver one. The paint scratches very easily to reveal the black plastic beneath. Better off going for a dark colour in the long term.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

150 yoyo's!!!!

Another case of overpricing by those rip off merchants Game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Zukustious

I hate it. The shoulder buttons suck and the whole thing is very small. I can't imagine holding it without my hands getting uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I've installed an Afterburner light in my Origial GBA and it works great.
    That's a cheaper option.

Anybody know if Flash Advance Carts are compatible with the new GBA ?

Originally posted by deadl0ck
    Anybody know if Flash Advance Carts are compatible with the new GBA ?

Mine works fine in my spanky black GBA SP. The internal workings of the GBA SP are identical to those of the older GBA.

Thought so...just checking to be sure.

BTW - Have you had any problem with Metroid Fusion on the Flash Advance ?

Mine keeps losing the save info.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thats what you get for being a roms monkey.

Good Retort !!

So you have no ROMs at all then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

20030324l.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Got mine in Game Henry St...€140 for the machine..€35 for Metroid, €35 for Zelda..just gotta get my girlfriend to go visit her mother for the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

Hey NekkidBibleMan,

How'd you get the SP for 125 squids ? Trade-in or something ?

Advertisement