Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ngggggh f*ckin hexxagon.

Options
  • 29-03-2003 1:01pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm addicted. NGGGGGH.
    There HAS to be a strategy for this but I cant for the life of me see it. I mean, I've tried hugging the walls, I've tried making the "biggest" (in terms of capture) moves... I've tried only expanding, I've tried jumping like a lunatic.... some of these are clearly better then others but nothing is emerging as a decent strategy.

I've googled for strategies and there arent any out there. I'm even thinking of coding a simple a-life simulator to test different approaches...

My heads wrecked!

DeV.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

What are you talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

fixed :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

oh , you're up! :p

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Cracked it.

And no I didn't cheat.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

There are 58 places on the board. You managed to kill every piece on the board?

Care to explain?

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ManWithThePlan

Fnckin hell that game is hard.

I think it's best to try to move your tiles to green hexagons that will also kill some of the opponents tiles. So the green hexagons will spawn a new tile for you and you will kill some of the opponents tiles aswell.

That being said.. my highest score is only 15 :confused:

Its not impossible to score 58 but its bloody hard....

The best tactics I have some up with is mostly to expand slowly where possible though a judicious jump can kill his pieces in the early game and that can an excellent way to section off parts of the board.
    I've found if he jumps a piece, its usually good to move a piece into where he was. Similarly its generally bad to jump unless you are jumping from an area where you have very few pieces and you are going to get at least 3 of his.

DeV.

I got all 58 - a perfect win - by turning every one of the computers stones so that he had none left to play with. :D

How I did it i will leave up to you to figure out. It was perfectly ligit and done utilising a small fault in the computers logic.

*Hint - don't know if you got this yet but the computer doesn't seem to be able to see 2 moves ahead. So for it's next move it is very clever but for the following one it is about as thick as 2 planks. Lengthways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

yeah I've noticed that its not too bright about the second move in a chain but I havent figured it algorithm for the first move so I cant work out how to entice it to make a particularly dumb move (dumb in terms of a few moves later).

Did you kill them at the very start of the game? I've managed to kill two groups but the third is always too big and concentrated to kill...

DeV.

Yea I got it at the start.

And I just tryed to do it again and it's not working. So, either the program learned it's lesson (not likely) or it was a 1-in-a-million (likely) or I've forgotten what exactly I did to get it (highly likely.) :p

I'll see if I can do it again though.

yeah cos I've played it a hundred times and I've only ever managed to nail two out of the three starting groups.

Plus there seems to be some sort of random seed in the program as it doesnt always respond the same way to the same opening move...

When I saw you get 58 in 11 games I must admit to being HIGHLY suspicious! :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

CS cheater scum tbh.

Prolly playing in wirefram :D

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

**** my top score has gone! :(

One main thing is to concentrate on the walls. get the wall and you are half way there - the rest can be changed to suit your needs.

It does seem that some of the times the computer is 'clever' and some of the times the computer is dumb as feck. Btw it doesn't matter how many times it says you have played it - what matters is how many times you have finished it ;)

-edit - hey clown man stop pushing my beautiful name down the list!

Whoot!

Selling autographs now €10 a pop. I have an automated mail service up and running to handle the pressure. :p

Anyway where was I ... *

*annoyingly smug grin grows old and fades

Pah!

Clearly photoshopped!

*grumble*

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

Why did you ever tell me of its existence!!

"Maybe i'll get it this time...." :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Gordon's life slowly ebbs away!

You know I am actually getting worse at that game as time goes on. When I got 44 it was actually my 2nd proper go at it and now I can't get above 34! DAMN YOU "GAME"

OK I just got highest score also.There is something that you can do when opening your moves that ensures you of winning. It's spoilt the fun of the game for me so I'm not going to tell anyone which is why I prsume the other top scorers haven't. I say |3rian on 46 wins it though as it is a proper defeat.

Those white jewels are like a frickin virus, man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

i really liked this game, until i got the max score, the programmer should have sorted out the, win in around 5 moves bug

still trying to get more that 46 but, its really tricky, and sometimes you can just go on a run of countering the computer and rack up a high score, i think the last few moves a vital and can clinch it

Advertisement