Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Georgia <snip> Rep Of Ireland

• 29-03-2003 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Well okay I guess! But we could have done without the knife throwing act...! :eek:

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

READ THE ****ING STICKY PLZ

Game itself was fairly crap but glad we got the points and the usual Dumphy slagging of Mick ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

great result.....but what was that about not putting scorelines in the thread titles??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Did you not know the score BKDZR ;)

Went for a swizz and missed the knife being thrown

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

who got the second?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Doherty, about the only thing he did in the whole match.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Very professional performance by Ireland. We looked solid at the back and their goal (I think?) was their only shot on target during the entire game.

We won it late on but on the balance of things we deserved it creating several decent chances during the 90mins

On a different point, I know everyone wants O'Shea at centre-back but I think there's a case for leaving him on the left and dropping Harte for good. Nothing got past O'Shea today and he more than shored up our weakest position in defence.

BTW, half time in Tirana - Albania (
    1-0
    ) Russia. Should we be happy ... or apprehensive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Midfield was far from international class more like Nationwide class.

We need a good world class midfielder :(

Duff and O Shea played well
    kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Midfield was ****e, defence was pretty good, defo keep o shea on the left he was up and down the pitch all day, with a better picth we have the best attacking defenders in the premiership(carr, finan and o shea)

Carsely spent a lot of the time pointing to areas he shuda been coverring himself

Albania have done us a favour by beating Russia 3-1. Let's hope they've nothing left for next Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

READ THE ****ING STICKY PLZ

Oops :( Sorry guys I forgot...

When it became clear that Kilbane was going to end up on the left wing, should'nt Mark Kennedy have got the call? He's been playing terrific stuff for Wolves this season - scoring a good few goals too.

...and on the threatening behaviour, Doherty had a bottle thrown at him as he celebrated his goal running round the back of the Georgia net...it smashed against the upright.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

When it became clear that Kilbane was going to end up on the left wing, should'nt Mark Kennedy have got the call? He's been playing terrific stuff for Wolves this season - scoring a good few goals too.

Wolves wouldn't release him because of worries over his hamstring, they don't want him injured at this stage of the season :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Republic of Ireland international Kevin Kilbane's been struck by an open penknife during his country's Euro 2004 qualifier away against Georgia. It hit the Sunderland midfielder on the arm during the Republic's two-one victory. Other missiles
    were thrown onto the pitch and scorer of Ireland's opening goal Damien Duff was struck by a plastic bottle.

The powers that be will come down heavily against that....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

Well done Ireland! We got a very valuable 3 points. Lets home we can bring this into the next match, cause Albania showed they can play by beating the Russians 3-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

anybody hear johnny giles say in the post match talk after brian kerr interview that doherty picked up a couple of girls before with brian Kerr.

he meant to say goals.

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Dunphy sounded like he'd either smoked a few spliffs before the match or was out on an all nighter before coming in to work.

"and here we see ehhhhh..................20 secs later with eh BLANK mumble" and so on :).

Got the result showed that they can create good chances, midfield is where it is going all wrong, kind of Ironic considering what our defence was before and during the WC.

Doherty ran around like a headless chicken looking uncomfortable on the ball (nothing new there) but did work hard and tucked away the winner.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Yeah, sounds like a good result considering the circumstances. 3 points in the bag anyway.

Does anyone know if there are any highlights of the match on TV? I didn't see the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

Maybe Sky News will show the goals, but I dont think theres any highlights I'm afraid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

highlights from all the euro matches on eurosport now, probably repeated tomorrow, or umm.... you'll see the goals in the build up to the next game
    euronews too maybe
    :confused:

not really worth hanging around for anyhoos

Originally posted by irishgeo
    anybody hear johnny giles say in the post match talk after brian kerr interview that doherty picked up a couple of girls before with brian Kerr.
    lol
    Yeah I defo heard him say that too.

I think Giles is having some kind of mental block with regards to the big Donegal-man. After all, a couple of weeks ago on the premiership he twice refered to the guy as 'KEN Doherty'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

all three of them are senile
    gotta love it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

Originally posted by parasite
    highlights from all the euro matches on eurosport now,

can't believe eurosport was ditched by cabelink for a channel that gave me big brother 24 hours a day last year and is now showing security camera footage of a bunch of wannabe tossers in a hair salon.

ukraine 2-2 spain looks like a cracking match
    - spain equalise in 83rd, go ahead on 87, ukraine level in injury time

germany 1-1 lithuania :eek:
    ...an embarrassing result like this had been coming to them

Originally posted by knobbles
    germany 1-1 lithuania :eek:
    ...an embarrassing result like this had been coming to them [/B]
    .... whereas I'm sure Germany 1-5 England was easy for them to swallow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Albania better not do what they did to Russia on us. This is great opportunity for us, but we have to take advantage of their mistake. Hopefully the Swiss will slip up aswell. We are back with a shout.

Carsley should be shot for ducking in the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

Originally posted by Pigman II
    .... whereas I'm sure Germany 1-5 England was easy for them to swallow?

of course! their biggest humiliation ever but i had other results in mind...
    Germany - Faroe Islands 2:1 and faroes hit the post near the end

they also had a very late winner against albania in a world cup qualifier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

albania dont look so friendly any more

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by ciano
    Well done Ireland! We got a very valuable 3 points. Lets home we can bring this into the next match, cause Albania showed they can play by beating the Russians 3-1.
    I wouldn't pay too much attention to that result. Russia are known to be shít away from home. I reckon Ireland will beat the Albanians 3-1.

ireland atm are no great shakes either tho...

Albania have an impressive home record im not sure we will beat them but Georgia game gave me a little more confidence starting to look like a Brian Kerr side ie: ****e players looking and playing well as a team with good outlets.

With Keane Duff and Docherty as an attacking force i can see Ireland creating chances.

kdjac

Will any of the players injured for the Georgia game make it? any chance Keane might still make it or has he said that he wouldnt be at either?
    I'm still confident enough that we'll beat albania. If we win in Albania it will look a like the goal of qualification would be doable tho still quite a task.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

we had nothing in midfield at all apart from a bunch of grafters, would be nice to have robbie keane up front on wed and duff back in midfield, would at least give the opposition midfielders someone to worry about.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by Pigman II
    Nothing got past O'Shea today and he more than shored up our weakest position in defence.
    Except for the lad he fouled on the edge of the box allowing Georgia to equalise :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

That was carsley fault. i mean was he afraid of the ball. He looked like a girl.

Fullbacks can cover the wingers but when they unsupported opposing fullbacks double up on them ,Carsley and Kilbane didnt do their jobs against Georgia at least Kerr will make them see the error of their ways and rectify it for wednesday or they get dropped and someone else put in ,either way i actualkly have faith in the manager.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

In fairness lads one of his teammates had just had a knife thrown at him in the same area of the pitch. If I was in the wall I probably would have had other things on my mind too. I thought Carsley did fairly well apart from that. Midfield will be better when we can put the likes of Stephen Reid back on the right and pull duffer back to the left wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Whether you think we got lucky, and might have lost, or whether you think that but for bad Carsley defending and a refusal for a blatant peno we would have won 3-0, it doesn't matter.

The 3 points were the important thing, and they will be again on Wednesday. I hope to God we get the win against Albania, and I think we can and will, but I think it will be more difficult than Saturday.

Don't think Georgia should be shut down for the knife incident, the other teams should have to play in the same indimidation that we did. Georgia had better get a hammering from the crowd when they play over here, but probably won't from the passive masses in eircon tops.

• Advertisement

Apparently Keane joined the squad today, still not sure wether he will play tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Very important win and the lads did well. Thought the missliles were a disgrace. Didn't know what to expect next.

Duff played a stormer in his 'roaming role' and seemed to be enjoying himself. Still prefer him on the left and let him roam from there. Doherty had a nightmare. He aint striker material. He said yesterday that he will decide this summer which position he wants to play in. I reckon centre half is for him. Maybe Im been harsh but I thought he didn't play well at all. O' Shea had his good patches and his quiet patches. That's probably due to the fact that Carr had a class game on the right wing and the Irish went through him. Carsley was all over the place. Duno did he know himself that he was positioned on the right of midfield. And he should have made himself usefull and stuck his head onto that free kick.

After watching it again i dont think Doherty deserves as much stick as hes getting. He didnt play that bad if you ask me, The Times agreed with me.

He was nothing compared to Duffer tho :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I agree that Doherty aint up to international standard, and you lot can laugh all you want, but if Crowe gets a chance against Norway and makes an impression, hell be a better option that Doherty.

Roll on Albania.

Advertisement