Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving grinds

• 29-03-2003 9:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭

Have just finished 3rd year exams and am thinking of giving grinds to 1st/2nd years to pass the time till work experience/earn some cash.

Can anyone tell me? How much should I charge(i'm one of the good comp sci students, and am good at explaining things so I'm told I should charge more)? Also should I charge more for harder subjects that other potential grinds givers wouldn't touch with a barge pole?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I assume from the link in your profile you're a UCC student, I'm a fresher and have already received three or four e-mail's from postgrads and students offering to give grinds. There are only two subjects in first year CS that people will be looking for grinds in, the programming module ( CS1100 ) and the maths module ( MA1015 ). Since everyone is offering grinds for the programming module then you could probably capitalize on the lack of maths people giving grinds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

I saw your email charging 25euro per hour and I laughed out loud. But then I found out its a fairly standard fee, so bleh. For me, grinds speed up the process of learning loads of notes by skimming over it and pointing out the important stuff and explaining things really quickly so you don't have to read all long paragraphs. I would happily pay 10euro for a 1 hour grind, since it would save me 3 hours of painful, boring study. But 20 or 25euro is gone too far for me... its a pity that this is standard. But if it comes down to failing or forking out 25 euro, I will probably pay up :<
    Also should I charge more for harder subjects that other potential grinds givers wouldn't touch with a barge pole?
    cs2020 comp systems? :) Aren't you happy with 25per hour?! Stop exploiting our desperate disposition; have some COMPASSION!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I gave grinds in CS2020 last year while still in 2nd year. people were very happy with it. (charged a lot less back then actually ;) ).

I was told to charge €30 an hour for grinds actually, but I decided that was really pushing it so went for €25. Don't worry I won't go higher than that, then enquiry about charging more for hard subjects was under the assumption that the standard rate was a lot lower

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

25 euro an hour?
    bugger. I've been giving grinds for 15!

Advertisement