Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saddam: exeunt stage right

Options
  • 29-03-2003 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

I wonder how Saddam Hussein will exit power (assuming he is actually warmer than room temperature at the moment). Will he go out like Hitler, with a cyanide tablet and a bang? Will he be done-in by one of his somewhat less-than-loyal henchmen? Will his disgruntled voters string him up from a lamp post either by the feet like Mussolini or by the neck? Will he go up against a wall like Ceausescu? Will he die in mysterious circumstances like Pol Pot? Will he leave in an bulletproof vehicle under the stern gaze of coalition guards for the graybar hotel? Will he catch the last train for the coast and live out his life in wealthy splendor somewhere friendly?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Éomer of Rohan

exeunt is plural. exit was the word you were looking for. As to wondering how Saddam will remove himself or be removed from Iraq, do you really think that that is important? Surely, my right wing friend, even you are more concerned with the death of innocent iraqis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

/edit/ cancelled post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

it may be none of the above.rather than make him a martyr the coalition may wish to capture him and try him for something -probably some sample war crime.also if that is the case he will probably appear dishevelled looking for the camera like a hobo ,routine procedure in these type of arrests,i just dunno if they are targetting him for execution or not .there are undercover agents working in baghdad supplying gps coordinates for bombing raids etc. but i'd say most likely they wish to snatch him if alive if possible but that's only my guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

i forgot about the attack on him a week or so ago so maybe he wil dissapear under a pile of rubble or something ,maybe they will want some dna for proof of death?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by pro_gnostic_8
    No, it is Not, my pedantic friend. EXEUNT is a well-established stage direction for ONE or more actors to leave the stage............. EXEUNT OMNES is the commonly accepted pluralism. Could you pls check out a dic before you begin rubbishing a fellow member of this community with smart-assed, condescending critiques?

Hate to be pedantic (no, really I do) - but 'exeunt' IS a plural form. Strangely, I always thought it was singular and meant to leave the stage finally and without return... but, as you suggested, I checked the dictionary and it says "Used as a stage direction to indicate that two or more performers leave the stage.". Oh well!
    Originally posted by daveirl (in reply to pro_gnostic_8
    Nothing wrong with what you said. You needn't have deleted it.

Doesn't matter, does it? I quoted it (above) :D

As regards how Saddam bows out... I don't really care HOW as long as he does. It's possible he's dead already. It's also possible he'll be taken out covertly by a special force of hidden operatives. Whatever way he goes, the fact remains that his removal is (apparently) the top objective of the US Army - and after the disasters of the past, I'd imagine that they're going to be fairly committed and resolute in reaching that particular goal.

According to a Reuters article on Alertnet though, he's 'ready to die' and will, "pushed to the wall, die like Hitler in a bunker. He will never accept any arrangement because he must think about what his people think about him," according to Lieutenant General K.S. Randhawa (Ret.), an Indian who once trained the Iraqi Army.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Take it to the English board! (heh, never thought that I'd say that on boards. Although, never thought that I would ever think that I'd say that on boards.)

As for Saddam, I reckon he'll get off scot free tbh. Maybe he'll not be found. Then 5 years later he'll be tried for war crimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

But surely, Saddam is his own plural, as is the Pope and so are some monarchs. Didn't some extremely royal person once say something like: "We are not amused"? So I think I should be given the benefit of the doubt and read as making good grammatical sense when I write "Saddam: exeunt stage right". And yes, I know that Louis the Sun King said something French like "L'etat c'est moi", so maybe the French don't approve of the royal we, but then the French don't approve of much these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Solution to get out of a hole is to climb out Tom - first you have to stop digging:)

(Snagglepuss always said "exit")

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

Well, I suppose the best response to the "exeunt/exit" controversy on my part would have been a simple "Doh!" It is hard to post on a board which has so many arts students on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

It's an interesing question (and I don't mean the exit/exeunt dispute :) ). I'm not sure the Americans are really interested in dragging Saddam up before some war-crimes court. He'd probably just use the opportunity for tiresome grandstanding like Slobodan has been doing, plus he'd be well within his rights to say "well, it was you guys who funded me in the first place" which might be embarassing.

Secondly, it's hard to work out what kind of end Saddam envisages for himself. If he's genuinely bought into his own hype he probably believes he'll still triumph, but if he's even half-sensible he must know his time in the sun is just about over. So which does he value more, his legend or his life? If it's the first, he'll die fighting or by his own hand, if it's the second he'll come quietly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by TomF
    Well, I suppose the best response to the "exeunt/exit" controversy on my part would have been a simple "Doh!" It is hard to post on a board which has so many arts students on it!

Ouch! :D Not sure if there are very many arts students
    (aka wasters!) here though...as for Sadders-baby
    it really could be any of those outlined but I'll go for a
    "glorious" maryter style exit as it would appeal to his ego.

Mike.

Well I am an arts student and am far from a waster. I chose arts as a route into politics - the board u happen to be posting on so often being politics; infer what you like from that one but no more insulting comments please.

As to the real issue, I think Saddam will go out with a bang - ironic that the only comparison I can think of is General Custer.
    That is what I would do at least - take as many of the enemy down with me as possible, maybe giving my surviving supporters a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

As to wondering how Saddam will remove himself or be removed from Iraq, do you really think that that is important? Surely, my right wing friend, even you are more concerned with the death of innocent iraqis?

Yes, I'd imagine the innocent Iraqis whose families have been murdered over the past few decades probably aren't too pushed whether he jumps or is pushed. In a morbidly humerous note, I'd like to see a Mussolini job but I doubt it will happen.

Is there a need to bash arts students? Well, it's inherently an engineer's responsibility to bash the arts student, much as it might be the responsibility of a southsider to bash northsiders (as opposed to the sort of bashing that northsiders dish out to southsiders you understand), or a Trinity student to denigrate... well.. just about any of the polytechnics that pass for univiersities in the country. The Internet is an engineer's world. So I say, take it arts students. It's all part of the socio-political struggle of the worker (the engineer) versus the bourgoisie (the idle arts student). I would have thought that you would support such a struggle Eomer. Fie, for shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Come on lads....can we drop the slagging before someone takes it personally and it all gets out of hand....cause if that happens, "Exeunt" will be an apt and accurate title for what happens :)

jc

I did indeed take this quite personally. Of course, your little diatribe on arts/bourgeois and science/proletariat is entirely farcical and irrelevent. Laughed my ass off at Bonkey though - what a wit!

Eomer I dispair! I'm a "failed" arts student how bad is that?! Luckily the fact my photography and music have been acclaimed by those who have seen/heard it keeps me from being bitter and humourless....

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Originally posted by Slutmonkey57b
    Is there a need to bash arts students? Well, it's inherently an engineer's responsibility to bash the arts student, much as it might be the responsibility of a southsider to bash northsiders (as opposed to the sort of bashing that northsiders dish out to southsiders you understand), or a Trinity student to denigrate... well.. just about any of the polytechnics that pass for univiersities in the country. The Internet is an engineer's world. So I say, take it arts students. It's all part of the socio-political struggle of the worker (the engineer) versus the bourgoisie (the idle arts student). I would have thought that you would support such a struggle Eomer. Fie, for shame.
    I'm white so I guess it's my sworn duty to bash blacks. I'm glad that my right arm may be broken because it keeps me from contributing to two of the most pathetic arguments of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Slutmonkey57b
    In a morbidly humerous note, I'd like to see a Mussolini job but I doubt it will happen.

So you'd like to see Saddam Hussein publicly hung with piano wire and his corpse left to dangle in a city centre market square for all to see?

Did'nt Mussolinis wife get strung up with him and get rather multilated afterwards....? (Saddams married)

Mike.

saddam will probably disappear, just to give the allies justification for the invasion of other countries. That was they can say that Iran, is hiding Saddam, and then invade.

Other than that, saddam might disappear, and we'll find his biography published in a years time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

Into the Osama bin Laden abyss probably.....

not to worry. They'll probably produce Osama bin Laden as being in Iran aswell. That way they can have two reasons for an invasion.

Originally posted by Bard
    So you'd like to see Saddam Hussein publicly hung with piano wire and his corpse left to dangle in a city centre market square for all to see?

I did say morbid.

I am against the death penalty but certainly not for humane reasons - I think it is far too good for some of those sent there. The Soviets had the right idea - pack the convicted criminals (though not the political differentiations IMO, I am in favour of free speech after all) of to the Gulag and make them work for the rest of their lives - and off to that camp for war crimes would be Georgie W. , Dick 'Head' Cheney, Rumsfeld, Powell, Condo Rice et al. As a little bonus, I might place them in ther same camp as Saddam, Milosevic and Mugabe should occupy.

• Advertisement

What pray tell have "Georgie W. , Dick 'Head' Cheney, Rumsfeld, Powell, Condo Rice" been convicted of?

Terminal stupidity lol?? They breached the UN charter and I think that should be grounds to impeach every one of them, but then there is not an proper international criminal court where such a thing would be viable since the US point-blank refuse to ratify the Rome statute without exemption from the very point of the damn thing.
    And further more would you apply this convicted thing regardless of the severity of the crime?

Personally and not from a political point of view;
    Paedophiles / Child Abducters
    Murderers
    Rapists

The rest should undergo a rehab process and then reintroduced to society under the watchful eyes of a socially concerned government.

Advertisement