Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying Ps2 Problems!

Options
  • 29-03-2003 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭

when i first got my ps2 if worked like a charm but lately it has been giving me problems on and off.
    i play fifa 2003 a lot and lately when i put the disc in i can hear a loud sound kinda like its skipping or something.
    if i`m lucky it will read that there is a disc and i have to select the disc from the select memory card or disc screen then it will takes ages to read the disc and sometimes it will not be able to read the disc.
    i wont even try to open the ps2,the discs are clean and scratch free,i thought that there might be some dust r something in the ps2 so i blew into it but no joy still the same.
    its not like this all the time it could load up perfect sometimes without a bother.
    is there any else that has had similar problems with the ps2??
    those anyone have any hints or advice that they could give me,it annoys me to think that i paid nearly £500 for it when it came out and im having problems,simple ones at that all ready,VERY FRUSTATING!!:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

is it only with fifa ? have u been having problems only since u got fifa...or ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

What series ps2 do you have for a start. As some of the older series machines, with V3 boards and similar in them, were also packaged with nicely dodgy lasers.
    Its quite a large problem, theres even a few sites dedicated to the "disc read error" that comes up when the disc won't read at all. Blowing into the machine won't help. Its more than likely a combination of dust on the lens and a crappy old series ps2. You'll have to open the upper case of the ps2 and then the lid from the dvd drive to clean the lens..., its actually pretty simple, all it needs is a small philips screwdriver for the drive and ripping off your warrantee sticker.

Mines a jap 10000 series so i have this issue from time to time, giving the lens a clean with an alcohol based cleaner (isopropanol) always keeps it running nicely for another few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

many fifa but a lot with rental dvd`s,does it matter what way i should have me ps2?up or down?as for what kinda ps2 i got i dunno i got it not long after it came out maybe a few months after.
    but with the other games i got b4 fifa they worked perfect no pros at all,i popped in an audio cd and it played ok i went to the next track and i got stuck or sumthing so i think the lens might have sumthing on it but i have`nt got a clue as to go about cleanin it,i know you told me how but if i wreck it,i aint payin another couple 100 euro 4 a new one ya know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

unless your ps2 is a v6 or higher never ever put it on its side. the lense will eventually move out of line and not read any discs at all. always keep every vent and other hole leading into the ps2 clear of dust(stick a hover into it ever week) and alway treat your games very carefully. the ps2 is very sensitive to scratches. treat it with respect and it will most likely function fine for a very long time.
    its not like the indestructabel playstation, you have to be nice it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i put in sword fish ( dvd) once and then i started watching the tv , soon i started hearing this weird noise ( disc was spinning like mad) it was about to explode or something , had to turn it off and on again .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Dunno, theres a mixed opinion on what way you should stand the ps2. Alot of ppl with dust problems, tend to stand it on its side as it won't allow dust to drop onto the lens nearly as much as its sideways (obviously :) )

Mines been on its side almost the entire time i've had it, also helps in that you're fan is no longer sitting beside a dusty surface and it can't suck in dust directly from the carpet/desk.

As far as cleaning the lens, you should be able to pick up a lens cleaner disc, i've never used one but i'm assuming they do a decent job. Means you don't need to go opening anything up if that helps.

Advertisement