Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much video card will €250 buy me?

• 30-03-2003 1:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Ill soon be spending a similar ammount (maybe a bit less). I too would appricate opinions/Ideas.

Is it easy do mod the 9500 into a 9700?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I'd hang on a few weeks as the Radeon 9800's are just out so hopefully the 9700's will drop a little. They are an excellent card and soon hope to get one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Also, bear in mind that AGPx8 doesn not provide a major performance gain on current cards and motherboards. Paying a premium purely for AGPx8 cards or motherboards could be considered an unnecessary expenditure.

Notice that all the major graphics card manufacturers placed their emphasis on porting their "mass market" cards to AGPx8 rather than the expensive ultra-high-performance cards that existed at the time. Benchmarks on the AGPx8 cards didn't yield any major attributable gain either.

That said if you plan to buy a new high performance AGPx8 card then matching up the motherboard might be the right idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Bosco

Originally posted by leeroybrown
    Paying a premium purely for AGPx8 cards or motherboards could be considered an unnecessary expenditure.

That said if you plan to buy a new high performance AGPx8 card then matching up the motherboard might be the right idea.

Does the 128mb 9500 Pro qualify as a 'new high performance card'? I don't want to waste my money, but as I need a new mainboard anyway I want to get one that best suits my video card (whichever one I pick). I have seen benchmarks published where the 64mb version of a given card often outperformed the 128mb version. I was under the assumtion that AGPx8 would solve this problem. Am I right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

the other thing to look out for is that a lot of manufacturers are using slower RAM on the 128Mb's to save money. So really you loose performance. This is what is reflected in the reviews you have read I would say.

Who would agree that AGP 8x is a gimmic for the moment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

the rad 9500 pro is a faster card than the g4 ti4600 especially with aa or af enabled.

however for e285 u can get the rad 9700 non pro, the same card as the 9700 pro with lower clock speeds, until the 9800 comes out (which is in reality an overclocked 9700 with some extra instructions) this is the best card imo on the market and for e285 its a steal

Advertisement