Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HPB CTF Challenge

Options
  • 17-04-1998 8:52pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi ho,

Right well I decided that the best way to select a "Best of the Rest" Team
    is to do it by vote as everyone seems to have different opinions about each
    player, and besides it's fair that way. Anyone can vote but need not apply
    for the team itself, bare in mind while voting that certain ppl like Dupre
    will more than likely not play as he's studying, same goes for Claw. Also I
    haven't checked yet but BC and Slaan may not want to play as they hate CTF.
    You might also bare in mind that it's High Ping CTF we're talking about here
    not DM, some votes that have come in already have included certain ppl who
    are good DM'er but really can't play CTF to save their lives, no disrespect
    but you have to appreciate they are two different games.

What I'll end up doing is getting the 6 ppl with the most votes as the main
    team with the individual with the most votes as captain, then the person in
    7th place will be a sub.

Go to our web site for details...

BTW: CW lads yous can vote too

Regards,
    Blade

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Well I had to step in here. Enough is enough. It's been bugging me for too long. where the heell do ye play ctf. The quake.ie server is always empty,the indigo server is always empty. Do ye arrange these games between yourselves? If so how are you going to know who is any good bar who you meet regularly?
    I, like many others I'm sure, play on any server they can find and I have to say I enjoy and do quite well when playing (obviously without being an expert). So where do I and others stand?

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭FlavorFlav

They're all living in bog land playing ctf on reqular quake with the whole ice skating effect. I'm sure they'd whip our arses, playing on that sort of platform. I, like Mus, play plaenty of ctf, but only on QW.

: They're all living in bog land playing ctf on reqular quake with the whole ice skating effect. I'm sure they'd whip our arses, playing on that sort of platform. I, like Mus, play plaenty of ctf, but only on QW.

I have to agree. I like most ppl hated qw and still
    prefer ordiary lan quake. However, having got used to qw
    for the IQCL I cant see why the CTF lads cannot play qw ctf!
    I know they hate the grapple but cmon its ridiculous!

I think the grapple is no excuse, I grew up on CTF4 + bots and know those levels BETTER
    than the back of me...ermm feet. I only played CTF 3.5 because effictivly I was made...
    the rest of the country did !

Since then, I've gone back to DM and obviously use QW...

I tried srv2 a few days ago and litteraly felt like I couldn't run straight - even though my
    ping was fine.

I think the game should be :

voted by the teams...the lads elected get a vote and whoever on that team totally disagrees can
    sod off back to their prefered type of Quake !

Just a comment and I'm kinda acting wierd so don't mind me.

QameX updated btw !

: : They're all living in bog land playing ctf on reqular quake with the whole ice skating effect. I'm sure they'd whip our arses, playing on that sort of platform. I, like Mus, play plaenty of ctf, but only on QW.

: I have to agree. I like most ppl hated qw and still
    : prefer ordiary lan quake. However, having got used to qw
    : for the IQCL I cant see why the CTF lads cannot play qw ctf!
    : I know they hate the grapple but cmon its ridiculous!

: I think the grapple is no excuse,

The grapple is your friend, your lover, an extenstion of ur body. It is all you need in CTF. You should give ur grapple a girls name (help me lads, I can't remember Full metal Jacket :)

Afair the grapple is f'all use in QW, and any CTF player worth thier salt will want a fully working Grapple, otherwise they are just DM'ers in drag.

Hobblers.

• Advertisement

Wait a min, what is all this horse about the grapple not working????

I use it all the time in qw ctf.

Maybe you need to explain for us gobsh.tes that have moved on to qw so we dont have to ice skate and defend. By the way you do know how to use the pushlatency and rate commands in qw, dont you? They are the things that make it better.

FlavorFlav

: Wait a min, what is all this horse about the grapple not working????

Yea, yea I know that Pushrate and latency thingymabobs. It's been a long time since I've used QW (a looong time :) but as far as I remember the grapple never went where I wanted it to go, and it was rock hard to grapple people.

Hobbes

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

: : They're all living in bog land playing ctf on reqular quake with the whole ice skating effect. I'm sure they'd whip our arses, playing on that sort of platform. I, like Mus, play plaenty of ctf, but only on QW.

: I have to agree. I like most ppl hated qw and still
    : prefer ordiary lan quake. However, having got used to qw
    : for the IQCL I cant see why the CTF lads cannot play qw ctf!
    : I know they hate the grapple but cmon its ridiculous!

FFS look whos living in the boglands! if u can't even find a game on QW CTF
    what does that tell you? It tells you that for the past 18 months or so most
    Irish on line CTF'ers play on SRV2, this has always been the most popular
    server in Ireland for any form of quake! long before all the Tinet ones went
    up, even when iol dm was empty the Indigo SRV2 was full of CTF'ers how the
    hell can any of you stand there and tell us that we're the ones playing the
    wrong version? If 90% of the population was brought up playing vanilla CTF
    then it's only right we play the game on Vanilla. Even IOL had a CTF4 Vanilla
    server and that was ALWAYS empty. There was never a need to arrange a game on
    SRV2 FFS.

A note on the grapple in QW.... a real CTF'ers MAIN weapon is his grapple
    as Hobbes said, it would be like us asking you DM'ers to play us with a
    different RL. The grap in QW is totally f*cked up, it doesn't go where you
    send it half the time, it sometimes doesn't even stick! and theres no
    continuous firing when changing weapons. Also when u fire the damn thing
    u find yourself at the end of it without seeing half the frames u should
    have along the way. If you saw the type of monkey grappling and mid air
    sling shots we do you'd understand why it's f*ck all use to us in QW.

Anyway as regards the rest of QW CTF it's great in my opinion, it's much
    easier to rocket fight without that damn autoaim but still your asking us
    to loose our most powerful weapon.

And don't tell me about pushlatency's and rates, I've been tru all that
    they make not difference to the grap.

Blade

: Well I had to step in here. Enough is enough. It's been bugging me for too long. where the heell do ye play ctf.

quakesrv2.indigo.ie is packed most nights. I'm on there almost every night. quakesrv1.indigo.ie is open to the world, so sometimes there's some yanks on there.

: The quake.ie server is always empty,the indigo server is always empty. Do ye arrange these games between yourselves?

quake.indigo.ie is always empty which is kind of sad because it's a great server and we've been screaming at indigo to put up a ctf4 server.

: If so how are you going to know who is any good bar who you meet regularly?

What does this matter? But if you want to know, the only good ctf'ers around (in my opinion) are from CW, GLOW and CG

: I, like many others I'm sure, play on any server they can find and I have to say I enjoy and do quite well when playing (obviously without being an expert). So where do I and others stand?

: M

: They're all living in bog land playing ctf on reqular quake with the whole ice skating effect.

Gee, I always thought the ice skating effect was on QW! Last time I played QW CTF was on quakesrv3.indigo.ie and that was totally fuccked up. I was running as fast as the grapple ffs!!! When I have a stable connection with indigo vanilla CTF is a charm.

• Advertisement

Whoooooo..steady up Blade. Take a few deep breaths man
    Ok you really dont like the grapple.

Whats the story with boglands anyway?
    If your asking why nobody plays qw ctf in Ireland
    then its the same reason nobody played DM QW
    before quake.ie. Irish ppl are slow to change.
    And if your good at something it makes it all the
    harder to change.
    On the other hand everybody in europe playes qw ctf.
    You know this.

: And if your good at something it makes it all the
    : harder to change.

Ah but we're no good at ctf :) Zero said so.

: Gee, I always thought the ice skating effect was on QW! Last time I played QW CTF was on quakesrv3.indigo.ie and that was totally fuccked up. I was running as fast as the grapple ffs!!! When I have a stable connection with indigo vanilla CTF is a charm.

Catching up with the grapple (and other projectiles for that matter) is a well known bug in the QW server, which only happens if the server has been running a long time. The solution is to restart the server regularly. Ask Cloud.

FlavorFlav

ps. i must mention once again for the non-QW players, please check out the pushlatency and rate commands. Use the command "pushlatency -150" (or maybe more) and "rate 2500" if you're on modem.

: : ;

: Catching up with the grapple (and other projectiles for that matter) is a well known bug in the QW server, which only happens if the server has been running a long time. The solution is to restart the server regularly. Ask Cloud.

I guess then the only way to see if QW CTF is any good is to reset quakesrv3.indigo.ie and see what it's like. Perhaps this is something for the IQC to take on board???

But I still have my doubts about how playable it is.

: : Catching up with the grapple (and other projectiles for that matter) is a well known bug in the QW server, which only happens if the server has been running a long time. The solution is to restart the server regularly. Ask Cloud.

: I guess then the only way to see if QW CTF is any good is to reset quakesrv3.indigo.ie and see what it's like. Perhaps this is something for the IQC to take on board???

: But I still have my doubts about how playable it is.

Sure Koloth theres a QW CTF server on quake.ie - ctf1.quake.ie
    Its class IMHO offers everything - Cloud can modify
    it if ppl want !
    But It's the grapple AND Tomb wont play it either

: Sure Koloth theres a QW CTF server on quake.ie - ctf1.quake.ie
    : Its class IMHO offers everything - Cloud can modify
    : it if ppl want !
    : But It's the grapple AND Tomb wont play it either

Shiite, I thought that was vanilla. Could have played on it yesterday from the cafe in Portland.

Advertisement