Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

fate & destiny? love at 1st sight?

• 30-03-2003 3:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭

are certain people just meant to be together?

can you meet a person who you are 'meant to be with' and fall in love with them in a matter of days?
    even hours?

don't think i named this thread too well!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

love at frist sight real love ? nah dont beleive it.

But I do believe in a connetion with some one a stranger and not knowing why.

When i was in college i meet a guy that I didnt particaularlly fancy at the time. he was a year ahead of me in the same corse.
    kept bumbing into him and by that xmas i just knew that he was to be mine. Not then as he had a GF but later on I just knew.
    He failed that semitser and i did not see him for nearly 2 years. but When i had to repeat that section of the corse he walked in on the first day sat beside me and Said HI what you doin here. and the rest as they say is history. We now have
    a morgage, 2 kids , a cat and a gold fish :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

Originally posted by karma kabbage
    can you meet a person who you are 'meant to be with' and fall in love with them in a matter of days?
    even hours?

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

and a gold fish ...

hehehe, thats commitment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭SHAMAN

Helpless romantic and probably living in the past, I'm the kinda guy who'll give choclates and roses and really mean it. I believe that love at first sight is possible, but that doesn't necessarily mean you should wait around for prince charming/a damsel to rescue(save the sexist comments for later). If you want love, go out and find it, and even if you don't, it might just find you.
    Sigh I sound like a romantic comedy advertisement.
    Aw, a goldfish how cute!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 angeljulie

definitely believe in fate, there is one person out there somewhere for everybody, in my case myself & bf got together after 2 years of pussy footing around, we live about 35 miles away from each other but it turns out when we were younger we used to go to the same places probably even met! i knew i loved him on our first date, after our first kiss, there was a spark (yeah, i know it sounds corny) and it will never disappear. he is my soul mate, he knows everything i am thinking and i know him inside out. so if you think you have met someone and fallen in love after a few hours, then go with you instinct, we did and we are going very strong 3 years later!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i'd like to believe it but it has yet to come my way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 angeljulie

ferdi, it will come your way and when you least expecting it, i waited years and it was worth it:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

What if you have found that person but that person doesn't love you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭karma kabbage

Originally posted by Webmonkey
    What if you have found that person but that person doesn't love you?

well by definition they ain't exaclty ideal then huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭DriftingRain

Wishful thinking? My mother always told me that when you find the right one it will feel like a ton of bricks has hit you in the heart and that your stomach will be doing flips. I am not too sure if that really happens, but I know I have gotten the jitters with a couple of guys but for me it has all turned to mush...I envy those that have found their soul mates :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

i'd say you couldn't really love someone just form looking at them, you need to be attracted to them first, then i think after some fun-filled conversation and the such people can fall in love very easily. in conclusion the "love at first sight" theory is for lonely people with bad social skills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Originally posted by DriftingRain
    it will feel like a ton of bricks has hit you in the heart and that your stomach will be doing flips.
    I had that once, turned out I actually hated her! Although I wouldn't say flips - more churning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Samara

I believe in lust at first sight, you can't love someone on sight, how do you know they're not a complete A-hole from one glance. I personally think the lust is the factor which leads to the whole getting to know each other thing which may or may not develop into love. For the immediate connection to be love is basically impossible to my reasoning, love is something that develops and grows. You have to make a connection on a level that isn't simply physical. The heady heights of lust in that first few weeks in which you're swept off your feet can only continue if you do make that connection and it develops constantly as you each grow and mature!! Sometimes you just click, your personalities compliment each other and you go from there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

not entirely, but i do believe in soul-mates, or at least people you should be with.

whether you end up with them now is another thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭karma kabbage

ok well love at first sight is one i don't go for either. i don't see how you can love someone after only visual impact....

but as tyrrial said
    i'd say you couldn't really love someone just form looking at them, you need to be attracted to them first, then i think after some fun-filled conversation and the such people can fall in love very easily.

is that logically visable???

does logic even enter into it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

not entirely, but i do believe in soul-mates, or at least people you should be with.

yes

"Pure intention juxtaposed will set two lovers souls in motion" - Tool

sih on dah an spin on id!

yes logic and reason and compassion and patience and self esteem and blah and blahs friend............im serious fuk u

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Ixidor

if i didn't have love at first sight i would never have met looper, ever since i first saw her i knew that no other dog would do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

I got that love at first sight thing before.

When I met her first I honstly couldn't see. Saw nothing but that starry stuff like before you faint. Can't remember what exactly happened cause I was in a daze. Don't really know why but I knew straight away that she was to be mine. Was with her for 5 years. Until I finally broke it off with her. I was only 16 when we met and I didn't want to be tied down. I also fncked it up big time so that we will never be back together.

I'm still unsure as to whether I was right to break up because we suited each other perfectly. I honestly believe I could have spent the rest of my life deleriously happy with her. But I needed to be single for a while. Maybe I was wrong but it's done and dusted now.

So I can only hope I get that again with someone else.

So anyone reckon that there's not just one out there for you, but a few? Cause I'm fncked otherwise. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Shilo

I do believe that there's such a thing as love at first sight and I also believe that there are some people you are meant to be with or to know. In my experience, though for what it's worth, it doesn't necessarily mean that it'll always work out.

There are people that I've felt especially drawn to, platonically and romantically. People that fit into your life just right at a certain time. Usually, you find you fulfill a need in one another and soemtimes, when that's complete, you move on. Doesn't mean it's less important a relationship to you. Just means that life keeps going and you keep learning - hopefully, at any rate!

If you believe in reincarnation, it fits that if you have unfinished business with them, you'll meet up again sometime. If not, you just have to make the best of it that you can. Most people manage to be a blessing in disguise in some way or another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭aine

i believe that while there are several people that we could potentially be happy with even to the point of marriage and the rest of our lives, there is only ONE true soulmate type person. So ya I reckon you could meet this person and know within days or hours that they are the right person for you. the other possible candidates for life long partnership? they are a result of social conditioning...they are employed in a similar sector, have similar interests etc and of course there is a physical attraction there. However apart from possibly your children, I believe there is only one person that you could ever truly love unconditionally!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Ms Taken

Of course theres love at first sight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

i dont think so, life is short* i dont think anyone should have to spend their life runin around tryin to find the one and only person that they can be happy with, people should be able to find happiness in a whole load of different people. I dont see how people can spend most of their lives obsessing or worring about who their true love might be or wheither they've already missed them....life is there to be enjoyed not suffered......thats just my opinion........

* "life being the longest thing that anyone really has"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Ms Taken

how can finding love be suffering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

not what i ment, although i know it looks that way......the time in between "finding love" or "the one" is suffering of some kind for some people afaik.........does that clear things up.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

love is something that has to be worked on, an attraction can be instanteous, and i've experienced not knowig someone and feeling really comfortable in thier presence immediately-i'll let you know how that one finishes cos it could be a while...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Chucky

Originally posted by uberwolf
    love is something that has to be worked on,

definately true. love at first sight does not exist. I thought it did over the xmas holidays. I met a girl one night while just out walkin with one of my female friends. I walked this new girl home. we exchanged numbers and then ended up talking for 6 hours on the fone right through till 7am the next morning. Then we spent the whole day in her apartment just talking again, and not having slept for 2 days.....However that was swiftly over in 2 months time!!!

C'est la vie!

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I've been debating whether or not to get involved in this one, but what the hell...
    Originally posted by Chucky
    love at first sight does not exist.
    This is going to sound cocky and corny, but you're wrong and it does. And sure, you have to work at a relationship, but you never, ever have to work at love. If you have to work at love, you don't love the person involved, you just like them quite a lot.

adam

Originally posted by dahamsta
    If you have to work at love, you don't love the person involved, you just like them quite a lot.

adam

very good point and i stand corrected. But surely once you meet the person you love you dont actually realise it at first? It comes gradually, because you enjoy their company so much...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

its strange though i know when i saw this person I really really liked her.. I mean loved her I suppose.. and the looks back from her mad me feel so happy.. But im not sure if she loves me to this date still.. cus heh we have never talked.. yup after 3 years of just eye contact that penatrates deap into my heart.. thats all its been.. never talked.. I just dont know.. I know I really could die for her in the the first year.. but know i know i still like her, but as much as I did? I dont think soo.. im not sure..

hmmm?

Makes me think that even if it was love at first site.. its like fading.. away.. so it cant mean that we were ment to be.. or else the fealing wouldnt die.. would it?

• Advertisement

Did you ever go out anywhere with her? What is she doing now? I mean, do you just see her out in a club sumtimes and just make eye contact? Did you not try talking to her?

oh shes gone now for 5 months.. so this is the real tester.. if we come back together in next term.. Ill measure my feelings for here.. my love.. is it still as strong as the 1st year.. or is completly gone.. if its still there and the looks are still being exchange.. Ill go to her.. but its a test.. experiment thing i suppose.. The way my heart is now, i really would love for it to continue.. But we'll see in 5 months.. Ill tell u the results ;)

Are you honestly prepared to wait 5 months? its a helluva long time mate.

I remember this girl I went out with once; just before the summer break she kept calling me and eventually she came out with it that she really liked me and said she couldnt deal with a whole summer without seeing me. So we went out for 9 months after that :)

Are you planning on just dossing around for the summer...i mean, seeing what else is on offer on the menu, if ya get me ;)

Heh not sure.. I dont plan to, but maybe something will just fall infront of me.. An Unexpected twist in an Experiment on Love, never know. I might write her someting.. or something.. ahh jezz i dunno.. heh. <- I dunno? .. heh .. deja vu ?

Hmmm..

nn.

Advertisement