Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

INTEL is the best

• 30-03-2003 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

Washout and all the Lads

INTEL is the best man,.....

Performance wise i have never seen anyone talking abt AMD
    so go for INTEL....
    its same like going for a fresh goodlooking , reliable and go for ordinary whore (AMD)...
    so go for best
    do not compromise

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Who brought out the first 1GHz chip agan?

troll....

tribble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

Intel emulate some functions in software
    that are in hardware in AMD and PowerPC
    making Pentium 2.4MHZ slower than 1Ghz PowerPC and 1.4 AMD * :)

* In some tests/functions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by sisob
    Intel emulate some functions in software
    that are in hardware in AMD and PowerPC
    making Pentium 2.4MHZ slower than 1Ghz PowerPC and 1.4 AMD * :)

* In some tests/functions

Which tests and functions? Because my 2.4 P4 leaves my AMD 1.4 for dust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Fanboyism on Cpus.

hehhehe

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Roll on the selective benchmarks showing the weaknesses of the P4 - as slow clock-for-clock as a pre-MMX Pentium and well less than half the speed of certain other processors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

Flame alert! Take it to USENET! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

lol, I have never, ever heard anyone likening a CPU to a whore before :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Well a "Pentium 2.4MHZ" is always going to be slower than a 1GHZ Chip (of any manufacturer).

Go AMD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Blatant troll, and blatant victims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by Ryo Hazuki
    Well a "Pentium 2.4MHZ" is always going to be slower than a 1GHZ Chip (of any manufacturer).

Go AMD.

LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

God, I know this is turning into a trollfest, but I've been looking at motherboard/chip upgrades, and I must say that in terms of raw clock speed, Intel appear to be in the lead.

For example, the AMD XP3000+ runs at IIRC 2.167GHz, whereas a pentium running at a comparable clock speed would be less than half the price. Now I understand that raw clock speed alone does not determine the speed of a processor. Chip architecture, L1 and L2 cache, as well as various hardware and software functions all play a role, but given the sole benchmark of clock speed, the Intels appear to have the edge.

Can anyone give me solid advice as to which chip gives me the most bang for my buck. Any links to relevant benchmark results would also be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

INTELL IS STILL THE NUMBER ONE IN ALL ASPECTS...
    GO FOR INTEL...
    I HAD TO SELL MY AMD COS IT DOESN;T WORK LIKE A PROCESSOR...
    IT WORKS LIKE A BULLOCK CART

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

divyak you are full of **** one bad experience with a processor doesn't make a whole company crap, you'll find thousands if not millions of very happy amd users, only recently with the northwood core did intel finally manage to pull away slightly
    from amd, and amd still give the most bang for your buck

i will however admit that amd's usual cheapness in comparision too intel seems to be slipping away with the lastest xp 3000+ barton retailing for almost €700 comparable in price to intel's
    3.06Ghz which is at about €720

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030217/cpu_charts-27.html
    however looking at these sample benchmarks you can see that for the most part amd's chip naming policy is quite reasonable and and even with lower clock speed's they can equivalently or outperform intel's chip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Let's cut to the chase here people. x86 technology is clumsy and outdated. If it wasn't for the sheer number of x86 chips in use, and thus the need for backwards compatibility, we wouldn't be using them. A complete redesign should have been carried out before the Pentium was released...but anywho.....

I find no difference in AMD and intel chips. I go for AMD cos they're cheaper and I prefer to favour the market underdog when buying products (dunno why)

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Both companies make excellent CPU's.

Intel are just ahead at the moment, but not by much. I'm really looking forward to AMD's Opteron / Athlon 64. Hopefully they will introduce the heat spreader.

Competition is great for us (the consumer), AMD vs INTEL, ATI vs NVIDIA etc etc

Originally posted by seamus
    A complete redesign should have been carried out before the Pentium was released...but anywho.....
    I think it's fair to say AMD's x86-64 is the redesign you've been waiting for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Washout and all the Lads

INTEL is the best man,.....

Performance wise i have never seen anyone talking abt AMD
    so go for INTEL....
    its same like going for a fresh goodlooking , reliable and go for ordinary whore (AMD)...
    so go for best
    do not compromise

LOL! Dude, you're great!

prefer not to be biased, generally if your building a system and arent ripping people off by OCing, AMD would be the way to go.

both chips are great, but Intel do have a lawsuit against them for a number of performance reasons, mainly that the P4 does less work per clock cycle than the p3. Yes, a generalisation taken from the top of my head.

I agree its time for x86 to go, not looking 4wrd to 64bit prices though.

Wel guys
    i am not biased, i agree that both INTEL and AMD are good but u know like somelike FIAT, someone like TOYOTA,,its actually depends on your personal choice plus working smoothness...
    yes INTEL is a big brand and has been in the market for a long time, on the other hand AMD being a new brand , has advantage as a small company and this is all part of marketing, normally people wants change, everyone like change, so some are changing over to AMD, not just because AMD is best and intel is poor quality or vise versa, its just changing mood.........
    so both company looks best and INTEL on top...now there is not too much difference in price even, so just handy whatever u buy is grant,,,,

plus centirino is also available....

http://www.intel.com/english/products/mobiletechnology/index.htm
    at last my VOTE IS
    INTEL....
    carry on guys...........

DIVYA...

THE DON

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

erm AMD have been around since the early 70's AFAIK and making CPU's since 486's :)

not really new, not to mention some of their flash tecnology used in Cisco products.

centrino looks interesting, still a shame about the transmeta crusoe not taking off though :(

on price:

XP 1800: 56USD, P4 1800 104USD
    XP 2200: 86USD, P4 2200 150USD
    XP 2600: 189USD, P4 2600 225USD

id call that a big difference in price! Granted, the P4 offers a faster FSB, but that seems to be nothing more than cosmetic in comparision to the difference performance (is there one?).

OC'ing I guess the P4 is better (litterally guessing!) but thats not the way most people run or resell systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by longword
    I think it's fair to say AMD's x86-64 is the redesign you've been waiting for.

Well, x86-64, while cool, is still x86 with crap stuck on. The only actual redesign and revolutionary CPU from either of them is the Itanium...

Matt

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Matt Simis
    Well, x86-64, while cool, is still x86 with crap stuck on. The only actual redesign and revolutionary CPU from either of them is the Itanium...
    Itanium is an experiment. A seriously unproven experiment at this point. Whilst x86-64 chips do have all the old x86 bits in them, they don't waste too many transistors on it, and once you slip into Long Mode where you can actually start using the 64-bitness, most of the icky x86 features disappear. No more register starvation. No more madcap segmentation schemes. They even dumped Virtual x86 mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

I used to be a Pentium man but since my XP2600+ ill never go back.

the OEM one I recieved was defaulted at 2.16 Ghz, in college last year they had P4 machines round about the 2ghz mark.

The difference between those PC's and the AMD system I have atm is phenominal, my amd mops the floor the Pentium system.

My next ambition is to have everything including the ram at 400/200 mhz, getting there slowly but surely :)

Intel have taken a slight lead on in the market and mainly because Microsoft and Intel Scratch each others back imo.

But I suspect AMD will rise to the challenge once more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Performance wise it really depends on what you actually use the system for. Intels are great for encoding while amd are better at other stuff.

Intels got the hyper threading now tho which would put it a bit ahead imo with a lot of applications.
    www.anandtech.com did a good Hyperthread 3.06ghz intel vs non hyperthread 3.06ghz vs xp2800. (true it was one xp lower than intel's top). Had some interesting results :)

My next pc will prob be an intel (currently a very happy amd customer) tho that may change if i delay a bit and wait for the next gen.

Hi LADS

HERE IS THE RESULT OF THIS THREAD TILL DATE:

NO. OF PEOPLE SAYING :----

INTEL IS BEST :--- 13

AMD is GOOD :-- 6

CAN'T SAY :--- 2

BOTH ARE BEST, JUST THE NAME IS DIFFRENT : 1

so you see, intel is leading,
    If anyone want to add , just put a mark in respective (i.e. +1 in front of intel if she/he favours INTEL )

ALSO PLEASE RATE THE THREAD....

SUPERCOMPUTER !!! what is your true opinion????

See u guys....
    come on time is ticking on

REGARDS

Divya.. The Don
    INTEL IS BEST :--- 13 :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Ok I saw my nick been specifically mentioned in the opening post
    Washout and all the Lads

I would like to dissassociate myself from this thread and say I have nothing to do with the publishing ofit whatsoever.

I asked a question in another thread about building a machine from scratch. I have no prior experience to comparing amd chips to intel chips. as my current PC is an amd athlon 1.8 and my one prior to that was a P2. thats no comparasion.
    All i want to do is build the ULTIMATE gaming machine.

Anyways Carry on with yer debate :)

:D

J

Washout
    then go for intel as i am a game frick and my last pc got crashed 2 times and then i had to sell it,
    now i am on P4 and its been more then a year with almost all the game and doing perfactly fine

Regards

DIVYA

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Originally posted by divyaksharma
    Wel guys
    i am not biased, i agree that both INTEL and AMD are good but u know like somelike FIAT, someone like TOYOTA,,its actually depends on your personal choice plus working smoothness...

Excuse me.... You work for Intel.

DeV.

Originally posted by divyaksharma
    HERE IS THE RESULT OF THIS THREAD TILL DATE:

NO. OF PEOPLE SAYING :----

INTEL IS BEST :--- 13

AMD is GOOD :-- 6

CAN'T SAY :--- 2

BOTH ARE BEST, JUST THE NAME IS DIFFRENT : 1
    Is this a Pentium math bug I see before me?
    21 different opinions from 18 different nicks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

haha, I haven't been looking at this board much lately, but this is classic stuff. divyaksharma, if you want to enthuse about intel, you could at least be a little more subtle about it. I don't think intel need your cack handed attempts at PR to sell their chips :) You could at least do some research on amd. I don't think you ever had an amd system, sure an alarm would have gone off in your boss's office!
    Apart from the troll, this thread is pretty interesting. People still have plenty of misconceptions about the p4.

Samba: Intel have taken a slight lead on in the market and mainly because Microsoft and Intel Scratch each others back imo.

What do you mean by this? Perhaps microsoft help intel in the marketplace, but microsoft don't make intels chips run any faster. I thought this thread was about the performance of the chips, not the market share.

SouperComputer: id call that a big difference in price! Granted, the P4 offers a faster FSB, but that seems to be nothing more than cosmetic in comparision to the difference performance (is
    there one?).

The FSB speed makes a massive difference to the p4, because it needs so much memory bandwidth. The new 800mhz fsb offers significant performance gains over the 533mhz. The increases in fsb have allowed the p4 to scale in a pretty much linear fashion. If you do not increase the fsb, you worsen the bottleneck between cpu and memory. The athlon does not need such high memory bandwidth, but the 266mhz fsb was starving it. Hence the large performance gains when amd moved to a 333mhz fsb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Have a look at this months issue ( May) of PC Pro.
    They reviewed 29 processors from both INTEL and AMD .
    To summarise the findings ,
    AMD chips are better value up to XP2500 and aa XP1800 is just as powerful as a 2.2Ghz Pentium in 2D and 3D tests.
    Above 2.5Ghz ,Intel has more muscle.
    Hopefully AMD's financial situation will improve or else Intel may have a monopoly and that could be a disaster.

Advertisement