Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Percent

Options
  • 30-03-2003 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭

Just curious as to the percentage of rent to income you guys have. I get the feeling either I should be getting paid more or I should move to a cheaper place.

Is 35% too much percentage of rent do you think? Or maybe some pay more per income?

From your income (after tax) how much goes to your rent/mortgage? 416 votes

<10% (or if not paying at all)
    0% 0 votes
    11%-25%
    8% 37 votes
    26%-40%
    44% 185 votes
    41%-55%
    30% 125 votes
    56%-70%
    13% 55 votes
    >70%
    3% 14 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Part-time work is pretty nasty when it comes to the bills of the gaff....

40 - 45%

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Yeah, I'm on 37% and I'm thinking of moving to a cheaper place. Can't save any money. I heard you should be paying about 1/3 of your income on your rent/mortgage, so I suppose I'm not to far over. But I'm always skint at the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

I pay about 20% of my income after tax to rent. I have a fairly small one bed near the city centre but i pay a fairly decent price for it as i work with the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

My traditional logic had been 25% of gross which equates to about 33% of nett, but I am paying quite a bit more at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

about 25%, give or take, and I wouldn't want to commit more than that really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭MAC_E

Id say about 33% of after tax. Not a pleasant expense at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

35% :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Just over 39 per cent if you include UK council tax (which is really just an extra charge on rent every month, so I am including that). Too bloody much - I'm going to have to seriously reconsider my living arrangements...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

When I was living in Dublin I was paying about 35% of my nett on rent. It was collossal money but as it was for only 6 months I managed it... but just about!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I know I didn't start this thread but thanks for the replies. I will be looking for a place soon but not really sure what % of wage should be my budget. Great to hear some opinions:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

Jeez these all sound real expensive i am paying 19% of income after tax 17% before for a large double room in raheny right beside the dart station................4 stops from town

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Eppie

I always considered my wages low and my rent high but i came out with 28% after tax for a large room in a brand new apartment. things are lookin' up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

19 % of our total salaries before tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Cosworth

25% of my net wage goes to paying the mortgage,That doesn't include my fiance's wage so it's not so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

just under 14% after tax for a double room but its in limerick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

28% before tax, 33% after. Frustrating as a mortgage at the same level would pay for a €100,000 mortgage, but no bank would lend me that as i'm only on 24.5k per year

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MoSeS_.

<10% after tax
    €50 a week, the joys of living in Galway,
    OK the place is no palace but with the money I'm saving I can afford Broadband...

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

Rent is:
    8.25% before tax
    11.22% after tax

---
    Edit
    ---
    BTW: I'm in Stoneybatter, Dublin 7

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm looking for a place now. Got a job just off Stephen's Green, and looking for a place somewhere in Rathmines. Seen some decent ads @ €600 per month, which works out at between 34-35% of net salary.

Anyone think that's a bit much? The only thing is if I go any further (i.e. cheaper) than Rathmines, I'll have to hold onto my primary mode of transport, which removes another €200 out of my pocket every month in insurance (:mad:). And decent places for < €350/month aren't easy to come by.

:dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by seamus
    I'm looking for a place now. Got a job just off Stephen's Green, and looking for a place somewhere in Rathmines. Seen some decent ads @ €600 per month, which works out at between 34-35% of net salary.
    €600 is a fair whack, even if you won't have much in the line of tranport costs. Have you considered sharing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, sharing seems like a good plan, but I'd prefer to share with a mate, and the only mate of mine who'll move out would be a nightmare to live with. Catch-22 :D

As well as that, even sharing, it would cost me €400 ish for a decent room even in Dublin 16 for example, which would necessitate keeping my transport...

I'll keep looking. Tbh, I'd be happy with a tiny flat for €500 so long as I had a double bed, a tv, a shower and a cooker. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I've always had my rent at about 30% of my disposably income, it's 34% at the moment, because Dublin's that little bit more expensive.....

Some day it'll be smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

im at 31% after tax at the moment, which isnt too bad... im getting good bang for my buck...

dublin city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

around 10-15% i think

sharing with 4 others in 3 bedroom house in Dundalk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

About 18% after tax for a large double room in Ranelagh albeit sharing the house with 5 others.

I dread the day I have to pay over E500/month for a place to lay my head it is a fuppin disgrace.

Would I be mistaken in thinking that rents as pointed out earlier are cheaper in Galway et al. but mortgages for their landlords are not much lower than Dublin?

Is it simply down to demand?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Would I be mistaken in thinking that rents as pointed out earlier are cheaper in Galway et al. but mortgages for their landlords are not much lower than Dublin?

Depends on the landlord. Almost every landlord I've ever had has owned their property for at least 5-10 years and owns at least 2-3 properties. Many of them neglected for years and practically falling down which they bought very cheaply, and the rent was almost always about 5 times what their mortgage (if they have one) would be. Your typical amateur landlord in Ireland usually uses the profits from one house to buy another, and then another, which means they use the profits from older properties to subsidise another. This is part of the reason rents are so high, and don't vary according to condition - the amateur landlord has to keep prices high in order to subsidise lower equity on more recently purchased property.

Though I've just moved to a 650 a month 3 bed duplex in east Cork that I'd say was sold for at least 200,000 - I'd say either the landlord is making a loss or has high equity in the place and is hoping that the value will eventually exceed the mortgage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭boo4842

About 25% of mine and 33% of my gfs pay goes on rent for our 1 bed appt in the liberties.

I don't know why I signed a 1 year lease, I'm getting the hell out of here when it runs out in Feb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

I'm renting a 3 bed roomed period house in Co. Laois and that is 15% of my income, that at least lets me save for my own place.
    Until recently I was paying almost 40% out for a house in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I earn about £1300 Sterling a month after tax... £476 goes on rent... What's that in Percent?

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

27% after tax. But I am living in a 2 bedroom place on my own so could half that if I wanted. But I dont.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement