Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Percent

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Lump wrote:
    I earn about £1300 Sterling a month after tax... £476 goes on rent... What's that in Percent?

John

approx 36.5%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭RedRules5

I was on 18% when living and working in central Dublin, I moved to London a few years ago and am now on 35%. God I'm depressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

18% rent - not bad, I thought it would be more. Hoping to buy a house soon (got sale agreed at the moment) and the repayments will be just under 25% of our joint net income. Any more than that and i wouldnt consider it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭mentalson

about 35% sharing a house. a one bed place of my own would work out at 80%

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭AOR

20.6% but im in a bit of a student gaff tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Working at a part-time job last year during the college year I was at 30%. Not too bad I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

12% Gross, 18% Net. Taxes are high here in Austria :(
    I need to get a new place nearer work and the city centre which could cost double what I pay now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭monkey24

I just got a place sorted. I am paying a fortune and was actually pretty down about it today ( the place is really lush though and in near town ). I am up to around 26% after tax.
    Are people including bills in those percentages because thats is going to drive mine up even more ( need broadband ).

I could of got a little cheaper but i am sick of looking at horrible 2 bedroom apartments so just snapped this place up ...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

am paying 15% after tax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

This poll would be more useful if mortgages/rentals were seperated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Rent is £600pm so % of net salary is about 37.5%.

Depressing :/

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

I'm paying around 18% after tax, but I split the rent of a double room with my boyfriend, and we share the flat with 2 others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

14% after tax

as far as im concerned we have a decent price and a % that im more than happy with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Aishling

Between my Fiancee and I we pay 19% of our joint salaries (after tax) on rent, and if we buy a place that we are interested in our mortgage would be 30% (after tax).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

13% now - but sharing a room in an appt with 2 others. When we move out to our own place, I'd expect our costs to double...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭JOJOC

Hi
    Id like to get some your opinions from you good people. I am currently waiting to move into an affordable apartment now i was meant to move into one last September, i wont bore u with the details but that fell through - through no fault of ours! Now its nearly a year later and we dont seem to be any closer to to moving into the apartment.
    Do u's think i should be entitle to some sort of compensation as we are waiting almost a year and the interest rates have gone up so much in that last year and also we would be one year into our clawback so instead of 20 years we would be into our 19th year.

Any opinions would be gratefully accepted.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Apologies if this seems a little harsh.. but you are looking for compo because you didn't get a hand-out???

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

JOJOC wrote:
    Hi
    Id like to get some your opinions from you good people. I am currently waiting to move into an affordable apartment now i was meant to move into one last September, i wont bore u with the details but that fell through - through no fault of ours! Now its nearly a year later and we dont seem to be any closer to to moving into the apartment.
    Do u's think i should be entitle to some sort of compensation as we are waiting almost a year and the interest rates have gone up so much in that last year and also we would be one year into our clawback so instead of 20 years we would be into our 19th year.

Any opinions would be gratefully accepted.

Cheers

If you were paying market value then yes you could get compo but becasue its affordable I'm not sure.

Apologies if this seems a little harsh.. but you are looking for compo because you didn't get a hand-out???

Maybe a bit harsh the way you put it but yeah I'd be thinking the same

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Affordable housing is a privelege, not a right. You are not entitled to compensation for the non-provision of something that you do not have an automatic right to. Sorry for sounding harsh- but interest rates are hurting everyone, not just you. Why do you feel that you should be entitled to some sort of compensation- and everyone else not? The fact that your house purchase fell through is neither here nor there. It happens. Move on.

No im not looking for compo cos i didnt get a hand out!!!! as u so kindly put it!
    I understand the interest rates are affecting everyone but my point is that if we had of fixed before the other apartment fell through then we would only be paying X amount now because of the time delay we will be paying much more!! Do you not think that with the clawback being 20 years i should be into my 19 year now ?
    I realise affordable housing is a privilege and not a right but in total im waiting nearly 2 years to move into an "affordable apartment".
    But considering we were taken out first in the draw and other people are that were lower down the list are in there apartments - i personally just feel a little hard done by!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

JOJOC wrote:
    No im not looking for compo cos i didnt get a hand out!!!! as u so kindly put it!
    I understand the interest rates are affecting everyone but my point is that if we had of fixed before the other apartment fell through then we would only be paying X amount now because of the time delay we will be paying much more!! Do you not think that with the clawback being 20 years i should be into my 19 year now ?
    I realise affordable housing is a privilege and not a right but in total im waiting nearly 2 years to move into an "affordable apartment".
    But considering we were taken out first in the draw and other people are that were lower down the list are in there apartments - i personally just feel a little hard done by!!

Your waiting to move in to a below market price aparment. How long would it be before you would be moving into your at market price aparment when you could afford one?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I'm sensing a lack of reality here. Whether the other one fell through or not is immaterial at this stage. You have a privilege. You signed up for the conditions that go with it of which one is clawback. You are not in the apartment yet, and clawback shouldn't start counting until you take up residency.

The point is you had a choice. Some people - myself included - elected not to go for affordable housing because:
    1) it meant buying off the plans which is not realistically a sensible way to handl the spending of a few hundred thousand euro.
    2) certain elements of the equation, namely location, fell outside my control
    3) clawback

You don't say why the original apartment fell through but that's probably central to the issue of compensation for that. In the absence of detail there, I say no, you're not entitled to compensation due to rising interest rates (just because you could have fixed doesn't mean you would have and fixed are slightly higher than variables anyway) or having to wait one year for your clawback period to start falling.

Short of knowing why the delay occurred no one can tell you you're entitled to any damages. I assume you want compensation from whoever admins your affordable scheme. I consider that having your cake and eating it. I'm of the opinion the scheme should be scrapped anyway and should never ever have been introduced. It is going to be the great get out clause for the residential construction industry when they start having to seriously dump property on the market.

You didn't have to do affordable. A lot of people can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 CelloPoint

JOJOC wrote:
    Hi
    i should be entitled to some sort of compensation

Modern Ireland in nine words...

Calina wrote:

I'm of the opinion the scheme should be scrapped anyway and should never ever have been introduced. It is going to be the great get out clause for the residential construction industry when they start having to seriously dump property on the market.

Why do you say that?

If this is to far off topic I'll start another thread

CelloPoint -
    I didnt phrase the sentence like that!

The reason the first property fell through was that the toilet exploded and the destroyed the whole apartment which was therefore unlivable and both the builder and the council were saying that it was each others fault!

Had you signed contracts or anything?

Surely what your entitled to would be covered in that?

No we havent signed them yet and i dont have any indication as to when i will be signing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

If you had signed contracts you'd have a chance but without one you've none.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Calina wrote:
    I
    The point is you had a choice. Some people - myself included - elected not to go for affordable housing because:
    1) it meant buying off the plans which is not realistically a sensible way to handl the spending of a few hundred thousand euro.
    I don't think any of them are sold off the plans. Everyone I've seen and on lists I've seen have all been completed.

• Advertisement

JOJOC wrote:
    No we havent signed them yet and i dont have any indication as to when i will be signing them.

So you looking for compenstation for something you dont own?

So your on the list waiting for an aparment? Seriously you dont ask for much do you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement