Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Percent

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

There are certain exemptions from s&a housing.
    - Provision of housing by an approved body for social housing and/or affordable housing
    - Development of housing under a Part V agreement
    - The conversion of an existing building or the reconstruction of a building to create one or more dwellings provided that at least 50% of the external fabric is retained
    - Carrying out works to an existing house
    - If the development is for 4 houses or less or housing on land of 0.1 hectares or less
    - And if the site is in an area where there is already lots of social housing. There is no S&A obligation for when Mountjoy is redeveloped for example but they may put some in.
    - If the site had planning permission prior to the introduction of s&a

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Afuera

jdivision wrote:
    You can see it by comparing the price per acre for a site with social and affordable housing obligations compared to the price per acre that a site in the same area without s&a obligations sells for.
    Have you got any examples that we can see on daft/myhome? How do you know which land has a s&a housing obligation?
    jdivision wrote:
    - And if the site is in an area where there is already lots of social housing. There is no S&A obligation for when Mountjoy is redeveloped for example but they may put some in.
    I thought that if the council did not require more social housing in a particular area that the developer still had to pay a fee (equivalent to 20% of the scheme) to them so that they could provide social housing elsewhere. At least, I was under the impression that this happened in Ballsbridge. The council decided not to put social housing there (too expensive) but took the fee to use in other areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Afuera wrote:
    Have you got any examples that we can see on daft/myhome? How do you know which land has a s&a housing obligation?

I thought that if the council did not require more social housing in a particular area that the developer still had to pay a fee (equivalent to 20% of the scheme) to them so that they could provide social housing elsewhere. At least, I was under the impression that this happened in Ballsbridge. The council decided not to put social housing there (too expensive) but took the fee to use in other areas.

Land transactions wouldn't be advertised on myhome or daft TBH. Just to state I'm not making it up, I'm involved peripherally in this type of thing for my job.

As for Ballsbridge, if there's too much social housing already in an area they don't have to build it - that's based on the OPW submission to DCC about the proposal to restrict Z15 zoning to insitutional uses and social and affordable housing in the last development plan. It was shot down by councillors in the end.
    There isn't too much social housing in Ballsbridge, so they are paying the fee instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Afuera

jdivision wrote:
    Land transactions wouldn't be advertised on myhome or daft TBH. Just to state I'm not making it up, I'm involved peripherally in this type of thing for my job.
    Sure, I'm not saying you're wrong; it's just that I'd just like to see something that externally backs up your observations. For all I know, you could have noticed that land with planning permission is selling for more than land without planning permission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

jdivision wrote:
    There isn't too much social housing in Ballsbridge, so they are paying the fee instead.

What then happens to the fee Jdivision? I mean, where is that money directed? Is it channeled into building AH elsewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

JOJOC wrote:
    Hi
    Id like to get some your opinions from you good people. I am currently waiting to move into an affordable apartment now i was meant to move into one last September, i wont bore u with the details but that fell through - through no fault of ours! Now its nearly a year later and we dont seem to be any closer to to moving into the apartment.
    Do u's think i should be entitle to some sort of compensation as we are waiting almost a year and the interest rates have gone up so much in that last year and also we would be one year into our clawback so instead of 20 years we would be into our 19th year.

I would say not. When I bought off plans the closing on my apartment was delayed by 8 months by the builders who refused to fix severe defects in the apartment. It took the threat of court and me refusing to close to get them to fix it. I had made up my mind to walk away and was certain I would have to take them to court to get my deposit back. They suddenly fixed it within a week of my solicitor's letter with court date. Meantime I was paying rent and loosing out on cheaper mortgage rates. There are not adaquet laws in this country IMO to protect people waiting for building completions. If I had been the one delaying closing they could have imposed fines, but I was not entitled to anything when they were the ones who delayed closing by 8 months, and that 8 months on top of waiting 1 year for the apartment to be built.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

Mind block today - How do I get the percentage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

Never Mind - Im just an idiot today

Im paying 36%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Orual

I haven't been able to find anything livable for under 40%. I started renting at a very bad time of the year when there was a huge demand for accommodation. The first place I rented was 45% of my income and had a really bad damp problem and the landlord did nothing to treat it. I became really really ill from living there and my doctor told me to get out of the property asap.

If a place that costs 45% of my income is a health hazard then what would something that cost less be like?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Orual wrote: »
    If a place that costs 45% of my income is a health hazard then what would something that cost less be like?

There are minimum standards that must be adhered to in all rented accommodation. If the place really was a health hazard I would report it to the PRTB in the first instance, followed by the local environmental health officer- who have it in their power to compel the landlord to initiate remedial actions or remove the property from the market.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Orual

smccarrick wrote: »
    There are minimum standards that must be adhered to in all rented accommodation. If the place really was a health hazard I would report it to the PRTB in the first instance, followed by the local environmental health officer- who have it in their power to compel the landlord to initiate remedial actions or remove the property from the market.

I reported it to the Landlord a long time ago.

Eventually myself and my partner both became ill. It was only then that I found out that I could have rung an environmental health officer. I did ring them and they said the place wasn't registered. When I rang the landlord to explain the situation he said I could leave with 28 days notice (I gave more days notice than this but I could not live in the place for the last month for health reasons). During the last month the landlord breached a number of basic rules (That I will not go into here). We are having difficulty getting our deposit back. I has sought advice on this matter and hopefully we should get the deposit back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

Somewhere around 6 or 7 % at the moment! Nice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

15% of my take home pay.

The CSO had figures out last week concerning percentages of income on new mortgages. Apparently its fallen to 29.6% of gross income (+ TRS added onto this). This is approximately a 7% decrease on figures from this time last year.
    Note: this is for new mortgages. In light of this, 15% or less of net take home pay on rent seems really quite reasonable (of course you can't equate exactly the two- but its nice to have something to compare your % with.......)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭worded

boo4842 wrote: »
    About 25% of mine and 33% of my gfs pay goes on rent for our 1 bed appt in the liberties.

I don't know why I signed a 1 year lease, I'm getting the hell out of here when it runs out in Feb.

You can legally break the lease and get your deposit back. Speak to threshold.ie first ok. You give notice, advertise, and if the landlord declines your alt tenants, you tried, money back thanks.

worded wrote: »
    You can legally break the lease and get your deposit back. Speak to threshold.ie first ok. You give notice, advertise, and if the landlord declines your alt tenants, you tried, money back thanks.

The tenant you find has to be satisfactory to the landlord- i.e. you can't pull anyone at all into the place.

The tenant you find has to be satisfactory to the landlord- i.e. you can't pull anyone at all into the place.

True - but Threshold told me that if you advertise, find say two people and the landlord is being fussy by declining both (have references etc), you have tried and you have no more to do. Thats good enough for the law.

worded wrote: »
    True - but Threshold told me that if you advertise, find say two people and the landlord is being fussy by declining both (have references etc), you have tried and you have no more to do. Thats good enough for the law.

I have no idea where Threshold are quoting that from- but its certainly not in the Act. Did they state where it was from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

17% after tax of my income goes on rent.
    Wtf am I spending the rest of my wages on!

I have no idea where Threshold are quoting that from- but its certainly not in the Act. Did they state where it was from?

No, but I was told in person by a Threshold employee.

If a person simply has to break a lease (e.g. unemployment) then the scare is that they will be liable to pay the rest of the lease if sued and loose the deposit To make sure that doesnt happen I was told the place could be advertised and if say two potential were declined then an effort had been made, and thats all that was needed to legally get the deposit back.

I dont want to post incorrect advise (if that person was wrong) so if someone wants to double check please do but that was what I was told.
    Can someone double check?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭rosiec

over 40% of my (pitiful small) postgrad salary goes on my rent. If the landlord puts it up in 2009 i'll be moving back home :( I just cant afford anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

23% of my Nett pay goes for Rent. What the hell is taking the rest of my money.

Col_Loki wrote: »
    23% of my Nett pay goes for Rent. What the hell is taking the rest of my money.

That would be all the gadgets and computer hardware you keep buying :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

50% :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

As of this month....61% of my net pay.....

I'm dying financially doing this, but i got an AH call today and viewing a place on friday!!!! :D things might just work out....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

theTinker wrote: »
    As of this month....61% of my net pay.....

I'm dying financially doing this, but i got an AH call today and viewing a place on friday!!!! :D things might just work out....

Or things might get worse. The AH prices don't seem to reflect current market price properly once you factor in the clawback.

I looked at an AH apartment in Northwood Santry a few months back and since then the market ASKING price is lower than the AH price.

I would be very careful if you are considering AH. Do your research.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement