Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cable VS DSL

Options
  • 30-03-2003 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

Which is better?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Personally, i use dsl, but from other various sources i've heard that cable is much more better. Don't know why but have just being told, i think it's much more stable or something. I'll leave it to the experts to tell ya :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

They're pretty much even, and the way the ISP chooses to dish it out is the all-important factor. My Cable connection (Holland) is significantly better than a mate's DSL conection (Germany), whereas two friends in France concur that one's DSL beats the other's cable.

Cable doesn't require any dialling up, so if all else is even, the 5up4r-l337 instantness of it gives it that wafer-thin edge. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I think the pings are better for cable modem also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Cian

The way eircom have implemented dsl, it is not the best choice for games. It uses interleaving which basically adds a lot to the first hop, resulting in a higher ping than esat. ibb seems for some people to have the lowest pings, but not as stable. I would say esat dsl seems to be the best all round gaming dsl.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

There is only one bad thing about cable..
    IF a lot of people get cable in your area off the same company, this will bring your cable speed down, becuase of all the cables being on a LAN type.. but it hasn't happened here, haven't hearfd anyone else on ntl complainin either :)

Advertisement