Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USI conference/Mature student cutbacks

Options
  • 30-03-2003 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭

Noel Dempsey gave the most vague, boring speech which did not any answer questions at USI national congress last week.

The minister is not going to win with students like he did with teachers

I am incensed at the ministers attitude, he said that we should not berate him in any way, he glossed over extremely important qusestions and he showed a clear intention of introducing a system of 3rd level fees and loans which are going to financially cripple this country. He claimed that he wanted education to be more equitable and that he wanted to tackle disadvantage. What complete and utter trash.

Furthermore the Minister refused to answer questions on the Back to Education Allowance which was cutback by Minister Mary Coughlan. This cutback in particular is a disgrace. As a student union education officer I have been dealing with lots of mature students examples including One who was homeless a year ago and another who has a family of four.

If making cutbacks like this is tackling disadvantage then every citizen in this country has a lot to fear from this government

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement