Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Noel Dempsey at the USI conference/Mature student cutbacks

• 30-03-2003 1:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,113 ✭✭✭✭

Noel Dempsey gave the most vague, boring speech which did not any answer questions at USI national congress last week.

The minister is not going to win with students like he did with teachers

I am incensed at the ministers attitude, he said that we should not berate him in any way, he glossed over extremely important qusestions and he showed a clear intention of introducing a system of 3rd level fees and loans which are going to financially cripple this country. He claimed that he wanted education to be more equitable and that he wanted to tackle disadvantage. What complete and utter trash.

Furthermore the Minister refused to answer questions on the Back to Education Allowance which was cutback by Minister Mary Coughlan. This cutback in particular is a disgrace. As a student union education officer I have been dealing with lots of mature students who will be affected by this, examples including One who was homeless a year ago and another has a family of four.

If making cutbacks like this is tackling disadvantage then every citizen in this country has a lot to fear from this government

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,113 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

well we won't win if people clearly believe this
    Students have no power.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Students have no power. We don't pay taxes etc. Most don't vote of course they don't care about us.

I read somewhere that students grow up to be actual people, with jobs and families....

I know *I* won't forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

Originally posted by daveirl
    and how do you suggest stopping him. Students have no power. We don't pay taxes etc. Most don't vote of course they don't care about us.
    thats the problem. This country sux. The goverment get a country with **** all depts, who has not borrwed in years and who has a surplus of money and they run it into the ground in what? 2/3 years??? why is there a vote of no confidence when most people in this country have no confidence in the goverment?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Headcase

it was a joke that USI had him in congress in the first place.
    we had him in a meeting in Carlow and he agreed with everything we said and just does the opposite.

cut the back to education fund, got rid of the student summer scheme.
    does he not realise that we are people too and we do vote, i do anyway. we do have a say.
    invest in education and it will pay back in taxes of people with good high paid, high taxed jobs, who went to college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

i think that someone should catch that f***** and hang him by the balls. he is ruining the future of this country by not allowing students with potential not get a third level education. i belive we witnessed the celtic tiger because of what fine gael done and cut out fees. This is meant to be the isle of saints and scholars, that b*****d is no way a saint and by the outlook because of him there wont be many scholars

Advertisement