Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A reason we Irish are so complacent?

• 30-03-2003 4:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭

I was at Burger King in O'Connell Street last week. Interestingly, the receipt shows that the till was programmed for the euro changeover. However, it says:

Total due EURO 5.95
    Euro Equivalent is 5.95.
    Amount Tendered 20.00
    Change Due EURO 14.05

Apart from the irritating CAPITALIZATION of euro, there's one very interesting difference between this and what I noticed in France.

In bookstores and supermarkets I noticed that almost everything was still dual-priced, and the receipts showed dual pricing as well. Surely this price-transparency helped keep inflation from reigning in France.

Surely our own Euro Changeover Board seriously messed up by encouraging a total obliteration of IEP as soon as possible.

(This in addition to their incompetence with regard to understanding the correct Europea rules regarding the plurals "euros" and "cents".)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Ixidor

doesn't get much worse then our government,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Complacency seems to be a general Irish attitude. When presented with an unfair deal or the feeling of being ripped off, your average Irish person simply doesnt go back to said establishment rather than complain his ass off. Worse case scenario, they'll get ripped off and still go back mumbling about it the whole time.

In order to stop the tide of growing prices, some of which I am shocked and stunned at (a friend was in a bar last week and Guinness was €4.20), we all have to refuse to pay for the product or service and leave the place.

Me telling a barman to fúck off when he asked for more than £10 punts for a double JD & Coke and a pint THREE YEARS AGO doesn't cut much mustard in the grander scale of things when the next person is willing to pay it. Everyone needs to say, and to the bar trade in particular "Fúck right off".

Newspapers are telling us daily that we are likely on the brink of negative equity with the housing situation and yet pubs etc are nearly daily increasing the price of your tipple, increasing inflation and helping the economy flush itself down the jaxxy.

K-

Advertisement