Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have anything to lose?

Options
  • 30-03-2003 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hey ,
    Im just wonderin do u have anything to lose if i do french ... i havnt done french since 3rd year , but i might take it so that i have a chance of gettin into UCD. Im also doin hons geography on top of that ... apparantly its an easy paper , i might score higher in that than in maths. But anyhow .... anything to lose?? Will it be frownd upon or whatever by the colleges?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't see why not. French is probably the most popular language for LC. If you did it up to Third Year level, then you should be fine. I assume you're in 4th/5th year and not doing your leaving this year!!

Why would colleges frown upon French?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭DSMe

u see thats the thing... i am doin french this year .. and if i do it then my oral is on tuesday! Im wonderin if the colleges will frown upon my bad grade if i fail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

dude, you will fail.

I dunno , i can construct sentances and the rest of that ****e .... i might just have a little chance ... im learnin off this big speil of ****e at the moment , might get me a few marks. But thats what im wondering if i do fail will it really matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

an F never looks good,

dont know if it will have any real effect if you get your points but their over all impression of you will go down

and if there is only 1 place on the course left and its between you and another person with the same points and they didnt have any "f's", i think you'd loose out.

• Advertisement

I would honestly hardly think i would fail it ... i did honours up till JC and got a C .. i might not be excellent at the subjust but i think i might get an D and that is all i need ... and think about this ... and as unlikly as that senario is fredie I dont think i would have a chance of getting into that course in the first place if i didnt do french.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Unless you dont have another modern language, colleges wont care if you failed aslong as you get the points.
    If two people have the same points, the person if picked randomly with a number they received. It has nothing to do with the rest of their results.

The college will probably never even know you're results, just you're points. They'll probably have it on record though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What I suggest is to work your ass off!!

Check out the sticky at the top of the board and don't study anything from now til your French Oral....except French.

Damage limitation is the key here.

If you're trying to get into one of the larger, general faculties in UCD (Arts, Science, etc) then it shouldn't really come down to choosing between you and someone else.

No matter what tho, you'll have to work your ass off in French. Try at least get a D.

Yeah , i looked at that shticky at the top of the page , it gave me a lot of help ... but now i gotta come up with a photo that i can talk about ... i think i might take in a picture of witness or something and talk about that , what do u think?

Witness would be a nice general one. The examiner could , and probably will, ask you if you are interested in music. Then you go "yes I am" and show the examiner the picture and WAFFLE WAFFLE WAFFLE!

• Advertisement
Advertisement