Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

old car recommendations

Options
  • 31-03-2003 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭

ok heres the craic. Im starting a business and need something to get me around to do jobs. I have a 93 1.3 honda civic which i havent driven since getting a €4945 quote for my renewal in febuary and im gonna sell that. I had a crash last year but was just before my renewal so i have one years no claims. Im 21, had my full licence since i was 19 and live in laois. Dont want performance or looks just a car, saloon size if possible. Gonna get ridden on insurance anyway.

I want somethin for not more then two grand to get me around, dont give a **** what it looks like (my days of alloys and tinted windows are well over!) as long as its very reliable. I want to buy it and drive it for about a year till i can afford to buy a van for the business.

Have a few in mind that ive found on motorweb for under 2G. Im thinking something japenese for reliability.

1. 93 Nissan Sunny 1.3
    2. 94 Toyota Corolla 1.3
    3. 92 Renault Laguna 1.6
    4. Colt of some age
    5. Mazda 323F 1.5

I think any of the above would be a lot less then the civic to insure cos they seem to crap themselves when they hear the word honda.

Ideas/experiance of above cars/suggestions all welcome please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

1. Mazda 323F 1.5 dunno if u can afford it but I've driven it briefly, nice car visiblity not the best, I found it very responsive and eager to please...thy have some status also

2. The Corolla. You'll find it hard to beat for most stuff except that's it's iretrievebly boring. I like the saloon version with the big boot

3. The Colt. It's only here because I put number 3 down, I don't really rate them but I'm sure they're a lovely car, if a little girly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

1. 93 Nissan Sunny 1.3

Fine.

2. 94 Toyota Corolla 1.3

Solid as a rock, my dad had one as a taxi. Lasted for 300,000 miles before he retired it.

3. 92 Renault Laguna 1.6

Rubbish. Reasonable car, but the bits fall off. Electrics etc.... dodgy and sometimes expensive to repair. Had a 96 Megane for a while, same thing. It's a french thing.

4. Colt of some age

Fine but small.

5. Mazda 323F 1.5

Grand. Dated, but good car, nippy even in 1.5.

Maybe also look at a 93 Civic 1.3/1.5 saloon as well. Nice looking car and rock solid reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

With that selection I'd buy the Toyota

(Of course if I was buying an older car, I'd always buy a Toyota, reliabale as hell, and cheap to repair if anything does go wrong)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Abraxas

I own a '97 Corolla 1.3 (old '92 - '97 model) and a '90 Mazda 323F 1.6. Perhaps you're looking at the newer model, but of the two cars, the Mazda's better all round imo. The Mazda has double the mileage of the Corolla, is seven years older and hadn't been treated well by its previous owner of four years, but it'd still be my preference for a long journey. The old type 323F was marketed as a coupe so expect that to affect the insurance.

Btw, apart from a flat battery from leaving an interior light on, the Toyota's never failed us once in three years. If it's reliability you're looking for, you can't go wrong with either car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I agree with the others, the Corolla is the best bet of that lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I should add, Corolla, so long as its not an import.

Unless it's a new-ish car, don't go near any import - even then be wary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

my 93 civic was an import and i drove the balls out of it for two years without any hassle whatsoever. It flew the NCT, was cheap to service (though official honda dealers wouldnt touch it) and if it wasnt so hard to insure id still be driving it. Ive driven as far as Ennis, Donegal, Belfast, Cork and Tralee and every day around dublin and its factory installed battery was the only thing to fail which i dont think was bad after 10 years! It was fast, economical and good looking and I think they were fantastic cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

The corolla would be my choice, sturdy, good economy,
    Lots about so parts would be cheap (breakers)

Bit of a difference between a colt & a laguna:confused:

If you get the mazda 323F, price the pop-up headlights first....

Don't buy a renault that old

I dont like nissan (personal taste) even the skyline is bland to look at...weapon of a car though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Hey P Clancy,
    I'm selling my 1993 1.4 Golf if you're interested? Cheap, cheerful and very reliable in my experience! Feel free to make me an offer...

:)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/t89191.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

no sorry mate, i just could never get myself to like golfs. Great car, very solid, well built and reliable- I just dont like their shape and styling. Cheers anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,376 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i've got an 88 corolla passed it's nct last november again so i can't say a bad thing about them watch the derby built ones i think they lost their quality control setting up the new factory i think ll the carina e's (94-96) were made there and the early ones were unreliable later ones were better corrollas were made there from 96 on i think
    mind you i lived in derby when the factory was setup and the wages were crap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Corrolla or Primera would be my choice

Advertisement