Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is your favourite stadium ??

• 31-03-2003 12:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

What is your favourite stadium

But you cant vote for your own (*so we all get an idea of our grounds)

You can only pick one aswell !! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

they are all LOI grounds. seeing as i have never actually gone into or stood outside a LOI ground with the exception of the RSC in Waterford, Turners Cross and the place in Ballybofey(sp?) i am going to vote on my favourite stadium in the whole world.

the Stade de France. i stood outside this place and it blew me away. granted i never went in there but i have seen the inside plenty of times on the telly. i took the tour of Old Trafford aswell and that's an impressive stadium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Richmond park and a close 2nd in terms of capacity and atmosphere would be the Nou Camp :D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Make your own list. Put Landsdowne Road in it. I'll vote for that. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Croke Park with the Hill in Full voice. Next nicest stadium I was in is probably Ewood park, it was fairly soon after it was rebuilt.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I've been to Tolka Park, and Oriel Park... I think I'll go for Oriel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

I havent been in too many many stadiums in my life , Croke park was quite nice tho its GAA so that kinda turns me off it ;)

Probably the Amsterdam Arena, love the roof and felt weird having it closed during a footie match :)

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Nemici

yeah I would also have to say Amsterdam ArenA, shame about the quiet fans though... sort of takes the good out of such a great venue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭johnnyc

The Millenium Stadium has to be one of the best stadium in the world the atmosphere is electric. The fans are so close to the players. I find it a shame that ireland has the worst stadium in the world they should knock down lansdowne road,selll the land and build a stadium which could match the Millenium Stadium..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

millenium in cardiff, parkhead or st. james , drove past the san siro (?) once looked amazing but never seen a game there (yet)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

OK apart from LOI stadiums the best I've been to is Old Trafford. Excellent stadium. Goin there on Saturday too can't wait!! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Landsdowne is the best for atmosphere

Turner Field, is like a big version of Landsdowne, great atmosphere there too.

i have went to lansdowne road a few times the atmosphere is great...but the stadium is prehistoric i believe the stadium has to be rennovated for god sake<under new uefa safety directive the capacity will be scalled back to 29,000>for a country like ireland(5 million) thats a disgrace wales has a smaller population and have a stadium that can take 71,000 come on the irish goverment should forget the bertie bowl and buy the land on the irish glass site there they could build a(65,000-70,000) stadium..lansdowne road is prehistoric 19 th century yoke that should be sold and a proper stadium that we can a ntional stadium should be build. I would like to hear other peoples opinnions..

cardiff? where they had the worthless cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Old trafford is an excellent stadium but more suited to funerals than football been there a few times and OMG for 65,000 people you could hear people on the other side of the pitch talking on mobile phones.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

this during a match kdjac? :p

if it was i blame wannabe fans who dont really care about football.
    Ferguson once said he prefered European nights as the true fans turned up on a weeknight and therefore was more noise.

Landsdowne is known for being a very loud stadium (or so my dad tells me :p ). I always thought the atmosphere was great whenever i was there but i agree that a 29k capacity for a country like ireland is a bleedin disgrace. (if what was said is true under new safety regs)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Stand in the KOP when you'll never walk alone is being sung. Now that's atmosphere, and not this new Kop either, wanna go back to the old deathtrap Kop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Celtic Park is by FAR the best (esp for the old firm) atmosphere wise...

I've been there a few times and I'll never get sick of it. Croker is impressive, but I haven't been in the Hill. All of Celtic Park however is like that little hill, with seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Celtic Park and Anfield for atmosphere, facilities terrible though. Hampden great acoustics, but fans too far from the pitch. I notice its mostly people that have been to few or no grounds that rate Landsdowne. Its crap. The terraces have no roof, therefore the acoustics are crap. Not that that matters, because all the tossers that go to the internationals these days only have 1 or 2 songs, and rarely sing. And when they do sing, the stand's out of sinc with the terrace, and it sounds like a joke. All that said, it was alright for the Holland game, but still not a patch on when the terraces were open during the qualifying capmaignb for Italia 90, and there were 50,000 real fans there for games against Malta and Hungary.

The Traff sounds great for cup nights, and some European nights, but week in week out its full with Irish/Japanese/Cockneys, of which a fair proportion are making their first and last trip there. They know feck-all of the songs, and so its tourists with Man Utd megastore bags in one hand and prawn sandwiches in the other. If this is the cost of a league of Ireland team ever getting recognition from their own people, though, I've no problem!

In Ireland, it has to be Tolka or Dalymount for facilities, and acoustics. Dalymount has the potential to be turned into a 30,000 (although this would weaken the atmosphere for Bohs games) all seater stadium, with entrances on 3 sides, thats one more than Landsdowne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Haven't been to the Millennium Stadium but actually really liked the old Cardiff Arms Park. Very steep seating, so you felt very close to the players, even in the stands. And you haven't lived till you've heard the Welsh national anthem being sung there before a game.

Also liked Parc des Princes. Fabulous for atmosphere, especially when the French were running riot, as they tended to do there.

Any ground near a city centre basically. Death to the Bertie Bowl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Celtic park.

oh wait i cant vote for my own :o

err ill have to go with the nou camp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Parkhead .... (celtic park)
    and
    Croke Park...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Jake303

Paradise (celtic park) infact the whole area around the ground and down into the barras is fantastic.
    The south terrace at lansdowne road pre Italia 90, (before football became fashionable) use to be great craic, havnt been there for years though so cant comment on what its like now.......

>the whole area around the ground

The area around CP is a bit of a kip in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Jake303

Originally posted by Bateman
    >the whole area around the ground

The area around CP is a bit of a kip in fairness.

More like a complete kip, reminds me of an eastern european city during the cold war!
    :D
    As far as atmosphere goes though, cant be beat, no prawn sandwich brigade thats for sure
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

depends which way your coming in from really. Coming from the parkhead forge way is ok.

Coming from bellsgrove way is indeed a bit of a kip, very rough place at night to.

Most of the gallowgate is pretty much a dump though.

>no prawn sandwich brigade thats for sure

From talking to people who go to Celtic regularly, the atmosphere is poor these days week in week out. They sit down, and most don't sing. If its a "once in a lifetime" tourist type of exeprience youre after then fine, but for league games it doesn't seem the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by johnnyc
    lansdowne road is prehistoric 19 th century yoke that should be sold and a proper stadium that we can a ntional stadium should be build. I would like to hear other peoples opinnions..

Er... I don't think it should be sold... the IRFU and Landsdowne RFC are unlikely to want to sell it, and it's the oldest RUGBY stadium in the world.

The state should just build a national stadium regardless of Landsdowne Road.

If there was any honesty or intelligence in the FAI, they could have built a 30,000 allseater venue by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Originally posted by Bateman
    If there was any honesty or intelligence in the FAI, they could have built a 30,000 allseater venue by now.
    Could be worse. If it was up to some of the muppets at FAI headquarters we'd be playing our home games at The Point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭pendulum

Millenium stadium - opening ceremony/game of rugby world cup was amazing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Selhurst Park....

It's a craphole.....but it's home...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 not a sausage

semple stadium in thurles or pairc i gcuimh in cork, scenes of many a drunken stuffedness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Neu Camp, Barcelona.
    the 'real' stadium of light, Lisbon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

St James Park - went to see Newcastle vs Villa 4-0 to the Toon.

Millenium Stadium - Play offs The mighty Norwich City vs Birmingham. ( I never cried so much after a match. We were robbed.)

Anfield - Pool vs Boro. Good stadium

Villa Park - Villa vs QPR.

Carrow Road - My home from home. What a stadium. Especially when we play the scum of Ip****.

And many more................................. Nou Camp, San Siro, Bayern Stadium. ( The last 2 for Norwichs UEFA cup run)

BEAT THAT!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Wheeler

Celtic park.inside the stadium you would think your in a 5 star hotel.its hughe.its has a brill athmosphere and has many bars.

Goodison park is also good...its so compact that the crowd are on top of you...it makes you think your surrounded by hay barns or something whick is really cool now days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,297 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Amsterdam Arena is nice.

Bayern Satdium? Olympistadion or something I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭dsab

The Bayern are just building a new stadium for the world cup 2006, together with 1860 munich. I think it will be will be great. It will even be able to change the colour, depending of who plays there (Bayern Red and 1860 Blue).

http://www.allianz-arena.com/

But the actual best stadium has to be another german one...the Arena "Auf Schalke". There will be the CL final 2004. You can move the pitch outside, close the roof, it holds 65000, has a huge video cubic under the roof, they even piped the beer lines through the whole stadium... ..and they financed it on their own for around 150 million Euro, so why would the national stadium, which would probabaly not even have all the feautures cost so much more ?

http://www.schalke04.de/1655_360gradpanoramen/360gradpanoramen.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Croke Park and Goodison Park here in europe but nothing compares to the atmopshere inside the Eden Gardens in India for Cricket

Yeah, the Shalke ground is class, a fitting venue for next season's Cl final, but numbers-wise, its not really up there with the heavyweights like Barca, Milan...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I Thought you had to have attended the stadium you are voting for? We seem to have a very experienced and well travelled pool of people contributing to theses boards.

Advertisement