Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A lot of **** about drugs and mates

• 31-03-2003 1:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

A lot of oyu proberly know me from irc about eariler, but I need to save money and things are getting out of suitation..
    Right heres the story right, I am from a not so decent area. I do not know any fone numbers of any help lines or anything. but I have this problem, well its not reaslly a problem, but its developing. I have taken everything drug ecept for herione which my cousin died on(though this is the only reason holding me back), not using that as an exuce but mearly a reaon to be greatful.
    but you know those confidential numbers for the drug lines etc. are they really confidential or what? I really wantl this ****e I am on, it brings me on a downer every ****ing night of every ****ing dayof the night and I feel like ****e in college in the morning..
    I know that childlinelined dhite, but im wayy to oldd for that :P
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

The Samaritans? I dont know the number off hand, you can ring 11811 to ask for it though!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

really confidential or what?

yes they are, call them now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Originally posted by the Charter/Useful Links
    The Samaritans are a well trained group of volunteers available to talk to youabout any problems or life grievances you wish to talk about. www.samaritans.org or email jo@samaritans.org to get trained samaritan help via email. Alternatively dial 1850-609090 to speak in privacy and confidentiality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

awww man, you sound very troubled by this and perhaps I could make a few suggestions if you don't mind.

am I right in thinking that the abuse is of pills?

if so, may I suggest that you take a break from the people you hang around with and go out doing them with, it is a vicious circle and once you get in to it, it is very hard to get out, especially when all your friends are at it constantly.(yes this is a hard thing to do, but if you are constantly surrounded by people doing the same thing, it is only going to be tempting the devil if you like)

Life is all about equilibrium and finding balance between fun work and play, do too much of the one and you fall in to a trap, this applies to drugs as much as it does to anything else life.

I've seen one too many a friend end up in St. John of Gods from drug and alchohol related abuse.
    It sounds like you are tempted by thought of heroine and to this I would only suggest that before considering it any further, look further than tommorow but ten years down the line.

If you could compare yourself to a person who went on about their life and got out of drugs to a person who went on and abused drugs, I'm sure you would see a startling difference in contrast.

Your still in College and you have your whole life ahead of you the sooner you change your ways the better (I know easier said than done, but just thinking about it and getting yourself in to a frame of mind of quitting is a start).

Wish you the best of luck.

Samba

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Phone lines wont help if you stick to the "scene" it will only be inevitable you will them again.
    2 choices really one is to keep doing drugs and accept the possibility that you will move onto heroin or you can move back look at what your doing and say "NO".

Its really easy to say no and just not take anything but if your weakminded and its being forced onto you move away from the people who are forcing it onto you.

Gl

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Benbaz

Its really easy to say no and just not take anything but if your weakminded and its being forced onto you move away from the people who are forcing it onto you.

Just because you take drugs (drink included) does not mean that you are "weakminded" or that it is being "forced" onto you.

Alot of the time, when somebody decides to experiment with drugs or alcohol, it is just that, "experimentation"
    And this experimentation often leads to the conclusion "What was all the fuss about?"

Now don't get me wrong, I am not condoning the use of drugs nor am I condemning the use of them. The problem of drug abuse generally comes from misinformation, people "experimenting" and getting caught up in something without being aware of the consequences.

One thing I do agree with is that if you do get involved with drug/alcohol abuse and by abuse I mean that it has started to affect your daily life in a negative way, and you have also accepted this fact, the only way to break this cycle is to get away from the "scene" in which this happens, and that can mean breaking ties with close friends.

This is an extremely difficult thing to do, believe me it is, I've had to do it!! But looking back I'm glad I broke ties with certain friends from the past who have unfortunately landed themselves with a pretty bleak future...their choice though!

But I think the most important thing if you are having problems with substance abuse is to obtain proffessional advice, there are plenty of places that can offer help and as Gordon pointed out, a good starting point is the Smaritans who can point you in the right direction.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

It sounds like pills to me allthough could be an assortment of things....if u wanna pop onto irc and have a chat any time just pm me ;) I have experience in these maters from seeing it happen to it allmost happening to myself.

anywho GL with it.

Ben

Advertisement