Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planetside

Options
  • 31-03-2003 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭

Heres some links to info about Planetside, the first MMOFPS (Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter - what a bloated acronym :)) ever.

Imagine a game with around 30,000 players per server, totally persistant, with really rather nice graphics and truely gigantic maps. Imagine gameplay that roughly equates to Tribes, with masses of weapons and vehicles to use and abuse, as well as all these features. Imagine a game full of depth.

As you can see, im really rather looking forward to this game and you should be too. Release date is tentativly set for May 19th. The offical forums are here, but theyre rather full of muppets so theyre only good for gathering the odd nugget of new information :)

<edit: Also, check out www.planetside-universe.com for some decent info and news>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Are they still allowing people into the beta testing? What do you think about setting up a boards clan/guild?

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Yep beta applications were reopened.

In planetside clans/guilds are called outfits, and if we do start one.......... I call galaxy pilot :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

A boards outfit sounds good to me :)

Im useless organising stuff, so somone else needs to do all that, but being a normal grunt has its appeals :)

Don't know if I'd be much good as a leader seeing as I'm in a different timezone but if noone is willing at the moment I'll run it till someone better shows up. What's the story with server locations? Are they doing something similar to daoc or running them all in America? Maybe I should go read the planetside faq :p.

WRT Server locations, there has been no definitive answer from the developers, but it has been suggested that there will be 3 US servers (west coast, central, east coast) 1/2 EU servers (london, perhaps amsterdam) and an asian server (most likely S. Korea).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

cant wait , a boards outfit would kick ass , though we'd have to do a vote as to which faction to go for...

Any ideas on a name for the outfit? Just boards.ie sounds alright to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

Hi,

seems to be a nice game.

I've just applied as a beta-tester.....

Wonder how high the chances are ;-)))

But the idea with the board is very good.

jow

the beta test is on a very small scale at the minute , the most amount of people who have been on has been just over 400 i think, im not even sure if theres a european beta test on/going to be on.

yeah boards.ie seems like a grand name for the Outfit

[plug] #planetside.ie [/plug]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

hey wow when did this board appear? :) I didn't see anything about it. Anyways, I too am a PS junkie. I can't wait for the open beta. This week is week 7 of the internal beta, I don't think it will go on much longer - perhaps another week or two before the open beta starts I hope!

I'm planning on playing for New Conglomerate on the US East Coast server or the Euro server, whichever is operational first.

Teeth.

• Advertisement

im most definitely going to play on a european server , one will be based in london so the ping would be alot nicer than a US server , plus leveling isnt much a handicap as this is more skillbased so your not really badly gimped moving server....

probably go for Vanu Sovereignity cause they seem the least popular at the moment and i like the underdogs

bah, big purple wussies. :) I wouldn't make any assumptions based on perceived popularity, the populations of the PS fanboy forums are pretty insignificant compared to the overall number of people who will be playing.

Teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Myg

Seems like an good game... of course it will suffer from lack of FPS/extreme lagg/Max players on screen,like the rest of the games do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Is Dave "I fcuked up Tribes2" Georgeson still the head producer?

Judging by his track record with closed betas, i dont see this coming any time soon :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Nerve-Hunter

A Boards outfit eh? hmmmm..... sounds good to me.
    Ill be the guy who you can all send into the fray with semtex celetaped from my eyes to my balls. I think just "Boards" will do fine, not much point in putting in ".ie" . & we have to make sure only we can join the out fit.....(obiviosly)

THIS IS MY RIFLE!
    THIS IS MY GUN!
    THIS IS FOR SHOOTING!
    THIS IS FOR FUN!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAW!!!!! WHERE CAN I SIGN UP TO GET ME SHOOTIN SOME DANG RUSKI CRITTERS!!!???

You can check out some really good screenies of action from the exclusive beta that's going on at the moment here:

http://www.planetside-universe.com/media/index.php?cat_id=59

Boards outfit? Nah, boards anythings never last. :) I'd be interested in setting up an outfit though, with some people from my clan EED (www.electricdeath.com) and anyone else what has teh skillz. :)

Teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

sounds good Daire, I'm in if that's ok, I've been waiting for this game for donkeys. Hopefully it won't disappoint, I'm worried that there'll be too much handicapping of people unless they live online

Nah it'll be just the opposite, as there is no phat lewt or level-related stats bonuses etc. A complete newbie can on the first evening of play wear the best armour and use the best gun available, just like a normal FPS.

Of course, a veteren player can play more than one role with the same character due to having more certifications, but that doesn't make him more powerful or harder to kill one-on-one.

I didn't get into the beta! Wahhh I'm crushed, this sucks.. like 30000 have gotten in and not me! Where's the justice!? :(

Teeth.

from what i've read, you need certifications to use the better armours, and some weapons such as the sniper rifle, and anti-vehiclular. And to drive! Not sure if this means you can't use them at all, or if they'll do something evil like mess up your accuracy if you dont have the certs

Yup, you do need certs to get the good stuff, but the cost model is very flat. Like it would cost about 6 points to get the best personal armour and weapons. After you finish the training missions on the very first evening of play, you would have that much.

The points go up to a max of 21, certs for driving the various vehicles, equiping implants etc cost roughly 1-2 points each. The points come quite quickly it appears, as a result of normal play.

Teeth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

From what I've read above this game seems addictive...but in a CS/quake addictive way.In other words ..Fun..!.
    So you could log on play an hour or 2 and not worry much about levelling etc.
    I'm interested in joining up with a few folks from Boards and playing on a European server.
    DemonBaby.

i think so Brian, the character customization is pretty basic, and levels are ment to be easily gained. And you start off with enough to be a footsoldier and start killing people.

I tried to pre-order the game today, but the site was acting up :(

Greg

i couldn't wait any longer. So I signed up to fileplanet for a month and am downloading the fileplanet beta :)

I'm not sure if the extra ram I ordered to be able to play it, or the end of the download will arrive first.

Greg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

From what ive heard from a few mates that are beta testing it, its not one to let let pass by, I'll hopefully be joining up :)

Any info on dates for european servers ?.
    And if I sign up for beta with fileplanet can I get the downloaded beta from you Greg?.:)
    DemonBaby.

The European server launch is on May 23rd. It will be situated in amsterdam. The Beta will be winding up in a little over a week, with it being released in shops on May 20th in the US and 21/22 in europe.

As an asida, PlanetSide is now in full open beta. Check out www.fileplanet.com where you can now download and install without having to pay any subscription etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

Meh, I downloaded, installed and its asking for : "Please enter account Key". I never got one of them yet and its been a couple of days. I got a key from fileplanet which allows me to install it but this other has to come from Sony. Anyone else have this trouble?

I think my problem may be because I used a Sony account on which I had already applied for beta when signing in first. I made a new one after but its still at the same point :(

I've got excellant pings to servers based in Holland over the years..thats great news that Euro server is there.
    I think I wont bother with the Beta and pre-order the game today.
    Too big a download!.
    Cant be worsethan some of the drivel I've bought recently.
    DemonBaby.

• Advertisement

I'm in the beta now, after much downloading and patching last night. It's fun. :) I'm going to give it a serious go this evening with my clan mates from the UK.

Teeth.

Advertisement