Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planetside

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Thakns for the info guys. One more question, is there any anti griefing procedure in the game? Like whats to stop someone from killing their own troops or blowing up their own bases?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

If anything the grief system is TOO harsh. :) If you hurt another team mate or piece of your empire's equipment you get given grief points, which mount up very rapidly if you reoffend and tick away very slowly.

I think if you get to up 1000 points your account is locked so you can't make any more characters, and the characters you already have are unable to move or fire. Grief points are shared across the whole account, so you can't make multiple characters and expect to get away with multiples of grief.

Stay away from the TR Pounder MAX. The grenade spam it puts out is a total grief magnet.

Teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Been playing it all day,and im badly hooked.
    Emerald server here, TR.
    also, those tree's are death traps.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

I need some tips, been playing for a few days and still quite confused... I used my 5 or 6 BP to upgrade to medium armour and buy the gun that fires bullets and that green stuff. I find it hard to know how hard I'm hitting an enemy, even up close, there doesn't seem to be any indication of a hit being scored as far as I can see.

So how do you know if you may win or if you should leggit? I respawned in an enemy base after logging there when it was friendly and went on walkies till I found a guy in one of those heavy suits. I pumped him full of most of my ammo before he wasted me and I never had a clue if he was damaged at all...

Spose I just have to learn the guns and what works vs what?
    I used 2 points on the Harasser buggy - quite fun. Any general tips on what to spend points on or whats the fastest way to get more?

edit ooh I'm on Emerald too tellox...

You'll know you're hitting someone when you see little orange circles drawn over them in your reticle. As for the heavy armour guys, the only way you're going to do appreciable damage to them is with the Striker, the AV guided rocket launcher.

Play with it on the firing range, you guide the rockets to their target by first locking on (reticle goes red) and then keeping the reticle on the target as the rocket flys at it. 4 will kill a VS MAX, dunno how many for an NC one, it depends on if he has his shield charged or not.

If you want to use the Striker though, you'll need Reinforced armour, so that you can carry an assault rifle along with it and have room for its bulky ammo.

Teeth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

How do you change the ammo type a weapon uses?

Regarding how to spend points, I reckon you have to get the essentials first:

1. Medium assault
    2. Reinforced Armour
    3. Either Special Assault, or Anti-Vehicle

With them you can be a pretty good soldier, able to take out MAXes with the Decimator or Striker and have a Cycler for attacking infantry. Always join a big squad if you can. 10 people means you're 10 times more likely to get xp. After you have the above skills, you can decide where to go from there.

I have gone for Engineering (very handy for being self-sufficient and all the MAXes will love you) and two vehicle certs, the Galaxy and the Lightning. I have experimented with the MAX armours, but none of them really suited my style of play.

As for implants, get Darklight at level 6. At level 12, I'd recommend either Advanced Targetting or Advanced Regeneration. I use the regeneration as targetting was bugged until the current patch.

Oh, and..

<fight club>
    Use Healthpacks!
    </fight club>

Teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

and any advice on how to get into sniper style?

I got the infiltration suit, but it can't carry anything bigger than jockey's pee shooter. :confused:

Change ammunition type is 'x'.

You can't cloak and snipe, what do you think this is, the first 6 months of Camelot?! Ye gods. :) Grab some reinforced armour so you can carry the sniper rifle for sniping and a standard assault rifle for up-close work. Plus it has room for enough ammo and health packs to last you.

Teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Originally posted by flav0rflav

I got the infiltration suit, but it can't carry anything bigger than jockey's pee shooter. :confused:
    thank god, that would be the height of lameness :)

I certified in the scattergun MAX 2 nights ago, and I love it. It has a 4x zoom which makes the shotgun spread ridiculously tight. So up close I use the 2x zoom, harder to aim but you cream them, and the 4x zoom is good to daft ranges.

And I've 650 armour and a force shield. Makes me feel strangely invulnerable. And the run mode is fast enough to keep up with vehicles.

Sweet

Greg
    PS Daire's right. The one thing I fear is the 'Warning - Missile Lock' message in large open spaces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

TBH most vehicals can out run a max, most will run over a max...the only vehicals that wont kill a max the first time is the wraith and the balisk...Even the ANT's can flatten a max, forcefield or not.

And yet again TR wiped the floor with NC last night on johari, they were kicked off searhus and cyssor, and NC reavers and Mosq's now run from my galaxy, took out 8 reavers and 7 mosq's through ramming them, squished about 16 infantry with ground skimming tactics...NC galaxies are not very happy to be in the air with me either, forced 2 to crashland, one into a clifface on searhus and another into a forest on cyssor...

Most NC players see galaxies as easy safe targets, now they know that they can be quite lethal when used to thier fullest extent.

Originally posted by Monty - the one and only
    TBH most vehicals can out run a max, most will run over a max...

heh, I mean for convoy purposes. I'm not going to be trying to catch an enemy wraith :)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

Good advice there lads. While I haven't flown any planes yet I did spend over half an hour in a wall turret last night during a heavy attack, I took out loads of enemies including a couple of pesky invisible guys who tried to sneak up on me and plant bombs. I also got my revenge on those heavy armour blokes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

yea, it's a pretty cool game!

The just need to get a euro server and reduce the ram usage. You guys all on 512Meg? I've gone and ordered 256 meg to bring me to 512, hoping the hard drive will stop chugging when i turn.

It is nice to sit in the wall turret and watch choppers fly over head.

i'm on 768 and it's great. No noticable swapping.
    And the euro servers are (apparently) going to be up for the european release (23rd)
    Greg

Originally posted by Spunj
    Good advice there lads. While I haven't flown any planes yet I did spend over half an hour in a wall turret last night during a heavy attack, I took out loads of enemies including a couple of pesky invisible guys who tried to sneak up on me and plant bombs. I also got my revenge on those heavy armour blokes :)

Make a visit to the training center and you get to fly all the ships and drive all the cars and you get xp for it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

is anyone willing to post the Planetside Installation files to me since i can't download every beta game that comes out this month. from what i've read som far here, it's quite interesting to play, not to mention commentary on PA about the game.

adnans

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

There isnt a whole lot of point getting the beta now, itll be over on Sunday/Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭El Marco

I really want to get planetside, and even though I haven't played it yet I really liked bf1942 and *cough* tribes 2 *cough* so it's a good sign.

But my question is, is it *really* playable on ISDN because I don't know whether to get ISDN for gaming, or would I be better off getting ADSL (although the price is a little high for a jobless bum like me).

Also I think you have to dl directly from fileplanet(bastards) as you're given a cd_key after you've dled sucessfully and you can't install without this.

• Advertisement

I wouldnt bother, Sony are not accepting anymore beta testers...a mate tried to signup last night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

ok, then is it going to be worth the silver pennies Sony wants to charge us per month? is it isdn playable on the euro server?

adnans

I've been playing using dual ISDN (128k) and it's been great, even on a server in california.

Teeth.

Most definatly worth it.

I wouldnt bother, Sony are not accepting anymore beta testers...a mate tried to signup last night

i signed another friend of mine up 3 hours ago. You just need to be a fileplanet member, not subscriber, and you enter the code they give you when you start the beta client. So you don't have to download it from fileplanet, you just need to register with them.

Greg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Seems a lot of the beta testers are really bitching about the latest exp slowdown patch. Most I know who were in beta have packed it in as " im not playing another EQ level fest again".

Alot are complaining about lack of content as well.

well 2 things...first of all the devs have stated that this is just a beta and that not every thing is in it...

but what will be in it soon:

May 14th - Aircraft, Vehicles, and More!
    PlanetSide will soon be released, but the development team isn't resting. Check out what's on the horizon for updates and additions to the game!

Here's a peek at what you can expect in the near future for PlanetSide:

New aircraft :
    Liberator - a brand new common pool bomber
    Lodestar -- a vehicle transport aircraft
    New vehicle:
    Skyguard -- an anti-aircraft buggy
    Platoons: Combine up to three squads to facilitate chat, share XP and organize and command large-scale missions with up to 30 people .
    Sanctuary Strikes: Strike at the heart of your enemy. By achieving a "lock" on the three continents connected to an enemy sanctuary, launch attacks via the opened warpgates.
    Quarterly Outfit Competitions: Conduct special events featuring structured competitions between outfits. Games like "Capture the Flag" and others can be played.
    PlanetSide is a persistent world, constantly changing. Updates like this are made on an ongoing basis.

Originally posted by quozl
    i signed another friend of mine up 3 hours ago. You just need to be a fileplanet member, not subscriber, and you enter the code they give you when you start the beta client. So you don't have to download it from fileplanet, you just need to register with them.

Greg

There was no problem with the file planet login, you can't actually set up a new acc with the game, it kept bringing up a page saying that the beta test is now closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭El Marco

Can someone also explain this switching I hear so much about?

And I'm guessing the bug by which too much buffer is given to 512mb ram pc's will be fixed in the new version?

• Advertisement

There was no problem with the file planet login, you can't actually set up a new acc with the game, it kept bringing up a page saying that the beta test is now closed.
    but like I said, that's exactly what I'd done 3 hours before my post. Created a new fileplanet account, installed the beta, got a key, and activated a new station account for the beta.

Maybe I was lucky.

Greg

Advertisement