Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble with a network card

Options
  • 31-03-2003 2:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

We've set up a lan over a d-link router DI-604. Two computers are working perfectly one's running windows xp and the other is running windows 2000. The problem is with a third computer that wont interact with the router at all. This one is running win 98 and the nic is a 3com 10/100 lan pc card model number: 3cxfe574bt and its a PCMCIA card. The card is working normally on device manager but when we plug it into the router we don't get a green light on it and we can't ping it from the other machines. Any suggestions on where we can go on the net to find a solution or any tests we can run to make sure the nic is working properly. I'm fairly sure the router is working perfectly as the lan on the other two computers is fine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

try the cable in another port in the router 1st. (assuming multiple ports!)

Also, are you using a crossover or patch cable? Dont be offended if you already know what I mean! If its to a hub, it MUST be a patch.

Other than that, I guess change the cable, try the cable elsehwere or try to swop out the NIC.

also, on the XP and 2K machines, you will need to create usernames for the W98 users if you want them to have access to the machines.

you may be able to run an internal loopback test on the NIC, but this wont test the "traffo" which is the last component before the resistors and then the pins for your connnector. You might be able to get diags from D-link's website.

Suspect the cable 1st though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Problem sorted we were using a crossover cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

cool

Advertisement