Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone Tried Doom III Beta

Options
  • 31-03-2003 4:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

i have it, but im on a PIII 450 for 2 weeks.

Anyone topyed with it yet? The screenshots look mega!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

doom 3 demo is warez ,theres a massive 100 reply thread here from when it was released(or not released).

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

whoops :) sry

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Its news to me that theres a Doom3 Beta out, the 100 page one was the Alpha i believe from E3.

If theres a beta out then ill be looking forward to it. (Or is this the E3 doom3 demo which is infact the alpha?)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's basically a very very bog standard fps wrapped up in absolutely amazing visuals. Hopefully ID will try to make a decent game out of it. And I also hope that Metroid Prime makes bog standard fps such as SOF2 JK2 and Unreal 2 obsolete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Its more a licence than a game ,i reckon as normal ID are more interested in selling the licence than the game itself but Carmack says its game 1st.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

From what I've played it seems that it is going to be different from what people think. It's less action and more creepiness and athmosphere, also the story is supposed to be good, kinda like the old final doom story from the manuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

i reckon as normal ID are more interested in selling the licence than the game itself

As normal? ...I'm sure making a good engine that's capable of being sold on is important, but what makes you think there not going to make a fantastic game out of it at the same time?

...was it doom? or quake? ...quake2 maybe? even quake3 kicked serious a$$.

I think they can pull it out of the bag one more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Retro was taking about the single player gameplay which q3 didn't even bother to persent (I don't believe putting bots into a mp map is a single player game). As far as I can remember doom, q1 and q2 was pretty much just find the red key open the red door, push the blue button open the blue door. These games have all done well because they've either done something completely new with their engine or they've had very good multiplayer games but as for their single player gameplay they've been fairly below par. One of the reasons halflife did so well and the SiN bombed out was halflife got the basics right and put in a good story while SiN put in a load of fancy graphics and sorta forgot that people don't like 3 minute load times and annoying "hacker" kids whining at them.

You have to think of the time when these games came out though. Doom came out in 93/94, one of the first FPS games to appeal to the mass market.
    The story was sh*t and no-one cared.
    This time they hired someone to write the story for them, and you know they have one if you have seen any of the cut scenes.
    They are redesigning the whole game model rather than just giving it an overhaul. So while it is Doom in name, it is not in anything else.

For me, the appeal of ID's previous games has been the atmosphere and level design. It's true they're all basically "get guns, get keys, kill everything and move on", but it's in an environment that seems to make sense at the time.

A lot of games that use the same ID engines tend to add too many gimmicks to get your attention, with less thought put into the environment and what have you (Duke Nukem comes to mind).

Quake 3 was good for what it was. No one ever said it was a single player game.

Anyway, a bit more on topic, I hear Doom3 will have the same basic game play concepts as their previous titles (eg. no 'use' or 'pick up' button). Back to basics. I can't bloody wait :) .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Dukem Nukem had comedy value though, with it's shrink rays and pipe bombs. Especially in a lan enviroment. The graphics weren't great, but if I had to choose between Doom 2 and Dukem I'd have to hail the king baby.

Ah Duke3d was great, and it had a brilliant psuedi 3d engine, Build.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Giblet
    Ah Duke3d was great, and it had a brilliant psuedi 3d engine, Build.
    :D twas the mutts wotsists back in the day (iirc it was roadtested on rott before duke), back when sprites were still cool...

never really got into multiplayer duke, blood was one of my faves. (along with quake)

anyone know of a patch\utility that will run Duke under 2K\XP?

thats my sole migration regret from 98se :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

blood was a great game :) "fresh victims for my ever growing army of the undead"..
    such a fun, playable game :)

pity it doesn't run in 2k :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Myg

Shadow Warrior was the king!!!!! tactical nukes+ heat seaking missles+ caltrops + samurai sword + ninja stars + the almighty sticky bombs not to mention that you could control (in a very loose sence of the term) turrets and vehicles and the like.

Meh.

Doom clones the lot of 'em :p

which was 1st doom or wolf3d? I dont remember

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

wolf was first !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Anyone remember abyss? That game was fun as well, undead popping out form under the ground hehe. Scared **** outta me at the time :p

Think that was a few months before wolf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭drjolt

Anybody remember the original promised quake? I vaguely recall it was a sort of RPG or something, with quite free form gameplay. A Deus Ex type game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It seems the lack of imagination in ID churns out rubbish single player games again and again. Have to cover myself by saying that coop doom is still a far better experience than most new fps.

Advertisement