Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Film4 drops Extreme and World

• 31-03-2003 10:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭

Film Four is dropping arthouse channels Extreme and World for a new service that will show regular repeats of more mainstream movies such as The Usual Suspects, Taxi Driver and Withnail and I.
    Channel 4 is launching the channel after audience research revealed 70% of subscribers wanted popular films to be repeated more often.

"We have been listening carefully to what our subscribers are telling us and the message is loud and clear - viewers want greater frequency of great films they know and ultra simple, consistent scheduling," said Tom Sykes, the Film Four general manager.

Film Four Weekly will go live on May 5, broadcasting three films a week at 8pm, 10pm and midnight each day.

Film Four Weekly's launch week line-up will be romantic comedy My Best Friend's Wedding, critically acclaimed film noir The Usual Suspects and Taxi Driver, one of the defining movies of the 70s.

In its first month the channel will also screen East is East, Fargo, Monsoon Wedding, Withnail and I and Cruel Intentions among others.

Film Four Weekly will replace Film Four World and Film Four Extreme, which shared a digital channel.

The type of movies that appeared on these channels will now be broadcast on the main Film Four channel - an Extreme Zone slot will launch at midnight next month featuring movies such as Natural Born Killers, Straw Dogs and Chopper.

Upcoming world cinema titles include the UK TV premieres of Amelie and The Piano Teacher, the Roman Polanski holocaust movie that picked up several Oscars last week.

Film Four launched in late 1998 to take advantage of the extra channel space opened up by the arrival of BSkyB's digital satellite service.

The Channel 4 premium pay-TV service - subscribers must pay an additional fee on top of their basic monthly payment to BSkyB to receive Film Four - is also available on NTL and Telewest's digital cable systems.

Channel 4 expanded its film channel portfolio in April last year, when it launched World, Extreme and Film Four Plus (which broadcasts the Film Four schedule delayed by one hour).

However, it apparently over-estimated viewers' appetite for arthouse films and will now compete more closely with BSkyB's movie channels.

Whatever individuality Film4 had will now be taken away.
    They may as well call it "Sky Cinema 3,4 and 5".

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thats terrible news. I was tempted to drop Sky Movies for Film 4, but not any more.

4 channels down to 3 (assuming they keep +1), whats the bet the price stays the same??

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Film Four Weekly will go live on May 5, broadcasting three films a week at 8pm, 10pm and midnight each day

what is that all about. this is a shocking decision. 3 films a week, FFS :mad: it is good the way World and Extreme are now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Originally posted by TmB
    Thats terrible news. I was tempted to drop Sky Movies for Film 4, but not any more.

4 channels down to 3 (assuming they keep +1), whats the bet the price stays the same??

- Dave.

ho hum, opinion taken from a person that doesnt currently subscribe...bet they are quaking in their boots. i heartily endorse this product/service, those other two channels were useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

You know, I'm having trouble believing anything today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

You know, I'm having trouble believing anything today.
    Yeah, maybe I put my clock forward a day rather than an hour.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement