Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Logo Day - April 10

Options
  • 31-03-2003 10:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭

Interesting initiative by the Greens to question the origin and pricing and ethics of branded clothing. They're asking students to cover up brand names on April 10th with "No Logo Day" stickers on April 10th.

Personally, I never buy any article of clothing or footwear with prominent branding. My wardrobe is a bit threadbare at the mo ...

Check out their web site at www.nologoday.com ... excellent resources in the links page.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭James_M

I'm confused.

Design a logo to cover logos on no logo day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Well you gotta take the fight to the enemy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

well, i'm with you brian, i have no logo's at all. so you could say that for me...

every day is "no logo" day!

oh wait i have "pop" flares on..... does that count?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

I think this is a fairly cool idea, when people start covering up the logo's on their clothing they may realise that we are in fact walking billboards and we pay for the privilege to be so.

I’ll give it a go for the day anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭spoiltbrat

Originally posted by The FANJ

I’ll give it a go for the day anyway.

Jesus, that will be one whole top you can't wear! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

i try to buy no brand names too... ah who am i kidding i'm a corporate whore, i'm sorry

no but seriously i like this idea, and us students will do anything
    anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Hip

I'm reading "No Logo" by Naomi Klein at the mo, bit OTT at times but very interesting reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Did any one else find it funny that the logo for the book No Logo is a registered trade mark?

Obviously Naomi has been corrupted by the dark side and wants to cash in some more on her book.

Also Paddy I’ve been shopping since we last talked and I think I have two tops and a pair of jeans that can be defaced for the day. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭stez

I'm all for supporting no logo day and I would like to think of myself as anti-capitalist but you have to think. Fair enough, people look ridiculous with sweatshirts and the like with N**E and R****k, etc. emblazoned across them and also the idea of people allegedly being exploited by these companies to make their wares is terrible. However, these are big companies that are very accountable nowadays. I do believe there is more likelihood that the cheap hoody or jocks that you buy are made in a sweaty factory in Pakistan or Taiwan, where you have kids slaving for pittens, that is why they are so cheap. So, maybe when you buy your next pair of runners or jeans, check were they are made and think.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

thinking is for quitters!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭eddiesheridan

The greens are organising this no logo day and to be fair the cause is a good one especially after i read no logo but i am fed up with all this no shopping day no pub day no car day no yawn yawn yawn. We have these things coz we want them. A million people marched to stop the war and did it make any difference? did it ****.
    I want a no more no more day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

what a load of crap. as has been said, i don't wear anything with a prominent logo-cos "prominent"clothes manafacturers clothes bore the **** out of me,

its a load of crap having one day of no logos.jesus its gay.
    and a real poser thing.
    angst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

Ok NOLOGO has to be one of the most eye opening books realting to corparate branding and the struggle for equality in the economic zones scattered across the world.

IT therefore can be totally misinterpreted.

I feel that the green party are scrambling for votes left right and center. I don't think a nologo day will convince people to stop wearing branded clothes.

Despite the fact your converse are made in taiwan and indonesia.
    Most jumpers which don't diplay massive ads on their jumpers, like NIKE and REEBOK are still made in the exact same places as the others.

What about gap? surely you won't get a sticker big enough for that.

The only thing that would stop branding would be the dissillusionment with "image". Sure some companies even engage in "anti logo branding". Sprite with their image is nothing idiocy.

I guess you can wear what you want and that war will continue yadda yadda. Just make your own minds up. Remember Tommy Hilfiger sold check shirts with the slogan "as worn by nirvana" i'm informed. (in their catalogues).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭sanvean

Originally posted by Raggamuffin
    I feel that the green party are scrambling for votes left right and center.
    Funny that, what with them being a political party and all.

i like the way people are now talking about not wearing 'prominent' logos anymore, which is therefore simply a fashion statement, similar to the people who wear NIKE and REEBOK clothes. the fact is is that your shoes/runners/etc are most definately made in some sweat shop. but apparently converse aren't as bad as the others, so that's ok then.

it's good that no logo is so widely read, but iit still makes for frightening reading. as is fast food nation. same basic story: big companies will screw you over (and put faeces in your mcdonalds burger).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

This doesnt make a whole lotta sense if ya ask me... if you have a lot of brand name clothes then youre not bothered where they come from and therefore youre not gonna be compelled to protest against your own clothes.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

lamda i think it's about awareness...

thats is the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

I thinks its a great initiative! I'm delighted that for one day I can cover over the stigma of St. Bernard on my jeans and be hip with da kidz!

Righteous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭stez

Right on Thomas, I'm gonna stop re-using my Dunnes Stores bags, they're so naff and embarrassing. F**k St Bernard, not the real St Bernard now.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Shorty

http://www.vegetarian-shoes.co.uk/

There yas go!

And don't Road jeans carry a tag saying how everyone involved in the making of this garment was paid a decent living wage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Pearl

I think it's a brilliant idea, it's about raising awareness that we've become walking billboards. I definitely won't be wearing my Andrea Botcelli shirt that day (and yes, I really do own one, but that's another story...)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 the happy hobo

AAAAAAH!
    Confusion

Do band's names count as logos.

Is my beloved Sex Pistols t-shirt made by underfed 9 year olds in Thailand.

Anybody gotany ideas for spmething to do with a plain white t shirt?

Advertisement