Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

liverpool won't win the league with houllier in charge

• 31-03-2003 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

liverpool will never challenge for the premiership or the european cup with gerard houllier in charge.

rivaldo stated this weekend that he would love to move to anfield, but houllier has responded by saying that high-profile players don't fit into his plans, that he is unwilling to take risks.

well, big clubs need big players to compete in the big-time, just look at real. in order to stay in touch with the euro elite, and arsenal and man u, liverpool need to buy the right kind of players.

but houllier appears unwilling to do that. he had the chance to buy duff last summer, but was unwilling to meet blackburn's price. i'm sure he didn't think it was worth the risk. of course, the lessons of leeds' overspending must be learnt, but playing it safe will leave liverpool a mediocre team.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

I agree that Liverpool probably wont win the league while Houllier is manager, but I think he is right in not buying players like Rivaldo. Houllier has a responsibility to the club not to put them in trouble financially. Buying players like Rivaldo and paying them God knows how much is very dangerous at the moment. You only have to look at the situation at Leeds if you are thinking of going down that road!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Leeds are an example of the extreme spending but a few really big name players wouldnt do liverpool any harm. I'm not sure l'pool will never win the league under Houllier, remember they were top and unbeaten for a while when it all kind of collapsed.

I agree that it is very unlikely tho and that your unbeaten run was probably a hiccup :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

I just read about that earlier this mornign as well. GH is a tool of the highest order. He said and I quote "Big name players like Rivaldo are not the way to go" WTF is talking about? I suppose he reckons Heskey is the way to go.

He also said that there will be no huge signings this summer. According to the Liverpool web site, maybe two signings at most. He'l probably ring in a few youngsters from some Eircom League first division side for back up to the mighty Traore and Biscan.

He's really pi$$ing me off ATM with his deluded and altogether sh1t management. Maybe Rick Parry should take on board what the majority of fans think and get rid of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Nemici

yeah Jonno nail on the head there,

parry should wake up, houlier brought the club 4th 3rd 2nd in the premiership but then after the heart attack (bad blow) he seemed to lose the plot and the will to motivate his players.

He needs to step aside and see what is good for the club and not his personal feelings about his impending unemployment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Its not his heart thats the problem, its his "tactics". A shambles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I got to agree, turning ones nose up at Rivaldo
    or a similair high-profile talent smakes of willful stupidity.
    Sure he'll cost a few bob to run but I'd sooner spend
    money on a Jaguar over the Ladas of Biscan, Traore etc.

Also his high profile would be good business for Liverpool as a commerical entity - think of all those
    shirts you could shift in Latin America!

On a related note, is it any accident, given his "defence
    first" approach to football that Houlliers best signings have been at the back?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Best signings? Hyypia is average, and over-rated. The rest are crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Best signings? Hyypia is average, and over-rated. The rest are crap.

Well I won't say you have surprised me with that nugget
    of wisdom...

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

He may be slightly overrated but he's far from average.

To be fair on Houllier, Rivaldo's done f*ck all for Milan this season and his work rate has never been the best. I hope that's what Houllier meant by not wanting players like him, rather than not wanting players with flair and creativity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Rivaldo never said he wanted to join an English club it was all bull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Houllier needs to get a link man if his tactics are ever going to work. He needs a Keane or Vieira type figure - one who can boss the midfield but also, crucially, link defence and attack. Liverpool absorb pressure and then counter - the long ball is only a by product of this, because THEY HAVE NO-ONE THAT LINKS! How Houllier cannot see this I don't know...

But yeah - he should go... Martin O'Neill anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Rivaldo never said he wanted to join an English club it was all bull.
    Skysports have him explicitly quoted:
    "It would be an honour for me to wear their red shirt and I would regard it as a dream to play alongside Michael Owen up front.

"The other day I was watching them play Chelsea and I could not stop watching their midfield. I have a few ideas about how I could fit in.

"I have decided that I want one or two seasons in England before the end of my career and I want it to be at Liverpool."
    I read that and went ecstatic. The very next day:
    Gerard Houllier has said he will never try to sign Rivaldo.
    Unforgivable. The team completely lacks flair and creativity. The heavens open and a player with both of these in abundance declares his will to play for Liverpool, and the manager says no. How does he expect to move forward in the League? The club is only ever going to second/third best under him. He's not nearly adventurous enough....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

The Guardian is reporting today that Utrd seem to have almost certainly signed Damien Duff for 10million at the end of the season. Which in turn has re-ignited the rumours that Harry Kewell will leave Leeds for Liverpool.

I'd love to see Duff at Anfield but it doesn't look like it'll happen. GH is too weak on the transfer market to get players like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

I really hope Duff doesnt go to Utd. What with all his injury troubles, Ferguson will never let him play for Ireland! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Artol

i don't mind the rivaldo rebuff, but if the rumours about houll turning down kewell at 9 mil are true then he is a grade A idiot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Originally posted by ciano
    I really hope Duff doesnt go to Utd. What with all his injury troubles, Ferguson will never let him play for Ireland! :(

As I liverpool supporter...
    I dont want him to go to liverpool.. Houllier WILL wreck his style of play...

Advertisement