Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KFC genetically engineering chicken to be more tasty?

• 31-03-2003 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭

I mean holy sh*t their food is so tasty. There has to be something going on.(the Zinger Tower has to be the greatest thing in fast food technology today) If there was more of them around they'd put McDonalds and BK out business i reckon.

Best foast fod place? 34 votes

KFC
    0% 0 votes
    McDonalds
    44% 15 votes
    Burger King
    2% 1 vote
    SuperMacs
    14% 5 votes
    Your local chipper
    0% 0 votes
    Spud-u-like (hehe)
    38% 13 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

You cant beat a BK bacon double cheesburger with onionrings and barbecue sauce,now thats some good $hit.:D

COMBATCOW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I'm inclined to agree, the Zinger Tower is the greatest thing ever.
    The XL Bacon Double Cheeseburger has its moments too though.

Macdonalds = muck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭ondafly

KFC is the best - but I only know of 3 of them ? Blanch/Liffey Valley and Jervis Street - are there any others ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

The zinger tower is the thing with the hashbrown in isn't it?
    I saw how many calories and grammes of fat that thing has at the weekend...:680 calories and 41g fat!
    Wouldn't want to eat too many of those things. Although probably healthier than Big Mac's.
    Heh, it says on their press pack two companies make the special batter/coating for the chicken but as each make half the formulation, neither knows the full recipe! Talk about secretive :)

It'd be ace if Taco Bell opened in Ireland. They're a sister company of KFC, and their bean burritos...mmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Chicken "Mc"sandwich. What's the deal with that? Ok it's "chicken" but it seems to have the consistency of chicken too :confused:. I'm confused because I know it's not real chicken, it can't be - that wouldn't be economically viable - they must process it and mix in some sawdust and slap it into a patty.

Does anyone know? And that goes for "Fish" McMaccymacmacwiches too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Gordon
    Chicken "Mc"sandwich. What's the deal with that? Ok it's "chicken" but it seems to have the consistency of chicken too :confused:.

Are you serious? I think mc chicken sandwiches are VILE, you just know the meat in it is mechanically recovered mankiness!
    BK Chicken Whopper is waaaay nicer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Originally posted by eth0_
    Are you serious? I think mc chicken sandwiches are VILE, you just know the meat in it is mechanically recovered mankiness!
    That's what I mean tho. The consistency is similar to real chicken as it has the threads, you knoe what I mean? Just like the fish macpoodles have the slicy consistency of real fish. But we all know it's not real fish or chicken. What I'm asking is - how do they do that?

Actually I kinda like 'Chicken' sandwiches, though they hide the flavour with all that mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

Originally posted by Combatcow
    You cant beat a BK bacon double cheesburger with onionrings and barbecue sauce,now thats some good $hit.:D

COMBATCOW
    Why thats exactly what i thought - UNTIL I TRIED THE TOWER!
    I've invented my own meal there. I call it the 'Twin Tower Meal' Its two Zinger towers and a coke with optional portion of crispy strips and no chips (coz there mingin lets face it).

To be fair to McDonalds they have brought out the McChicken Premier which is a big step up from the McChicken sandwich and has some tasty sauces. But i reckon it was brought out to directly compete with the zinger tower for the chicken-end of the market. Its still a lot smaller and not quite as good but it's probably the second best of the fast food chicken....things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭dsab

Zinger tastes great...only problem in Ireland is, that the value is crap. Not enough chicken for too many euros. I am just back from Thailand, and the zinger there costs about 49 Baht (approx. 1.03), and has about double the chicken. That's value... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Reality check.

Do I need to eat a pig that has had tomatoe genes spliced into it, so that it produces 100% more poly-unsaturated fat?

On the balance of things, I'd have to give that one a miss.

Genetically modified organisms. Hmm, in the words of Kenneth Brannagh in Frankenstein "Liiivveee"

I'll stick to my non GMO diet of coffee and umm... whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Benbaz

KFC food rules!! Mind you I wouldn't want to think too much about how the treat the chickens!!!..Arrrgggghh Thinking of it now!!!!

Burger King comes a close second though!

But McMinimum Wage and their ISO Burgers.....nah!! I think I'll pass!!!

Originally posted by Typedef

Do I need to eat a pig that has had tomatoe genes spliced into it, so that it produces 100% more poly-unsaturated fat?

You may be interested to know that kfc's food only contains chicken. So i guess you've got no reason now not to go there;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Originally posted by Benbaz
    KFC food rules!! Mind you I wouldn't want to think too much about how the treat the chickens!!!
    Wasn't Kentuckey Fried Chicken renamed to KFC because they weren't legally allowed to call it chicken??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by woolymammoth
    Wasn't Kentuckey Fried Chicken renamed to KFC because they weren't legally allowed to call it chicken??
    Urban myth. Go look for it on snopes.com
    Originally posted by Horsefumbler
    KFC genetically engineering chicken?
    <anip>I mean holy sh*t their food is so tasty. There has to be something going on.
    I don't go into KFC much as the nearest one is three miles away. last time I was in one (Victoria train station) there was a nice little sign on the wall explaining they weren't using GM food and wouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i used to work in a restaurant called texas fried chicken a few years back they where around when kfc had pulled out of ireland and before they came back, when you work there you can get the best of stuff and hence i prefare it to kfc especially when you know you have cooked it yourself or you have just changed the oil in one of the machines. also the gravy i made was much nicer then the stuff from kfc :)

by the way can we include eddie rockets in this coz i think its quality, double cheeseburger, 1/2 onion rings 1/2 fries, buffalo wings and a malt/coke please thank you

Originally posted by sceptre

last time I was in one (Victoria train station) there was a nice little sign on the wall explaining they weren't using GM food and wouldn't.
    tbh sceptre i was only jokin about the genetically engineering chickens thing, this is really just a thread about fast food places.I just said it coz, well basically their food tastes so damn good compared with other places.:)

I was gona put Eddie rockets on the list but i think Spud-U-dislike is just a little bit more important:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i beg to differ, show me the eddie rockets, with the succulent succulent chicken fillets and chicken tenders

oh and has anyone ever been to di fontaines attached to eamon doran's probably some of the best pizza in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Hmmmm

I *tried* to vote for Supermacs....

has anyone tasted the new improved zinger towers? Oh baby!!
    They've started putting the hash brown directly on top of the chicken so when u get to the final corner your not left with a bit that contains only chicken or only hash-brown. The bun has also been improved

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Gotta say KFC are the masters... it's the only place I'd trust to get chicken.

Eddie Rockets???! €20 for a cheeseburger and chips!! Alright, exaggeration... It is lovely though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

If i had to go fast food then KFC is the one!! Though to be fair, the Dunnes stores in the Pavillin swords does some mean chicken too.
    If there was more of them around they'd put McDonalds and BK out business i reckon.

There WAS in Ireland years ago and McD's survived and there are loads of em worldwide and McD's survives... dont be silly.. plenty of room for everyone.

As for GM chicken? Not likely though its not organic either.. its NOT the chicken that tastes good, its the coating they put on it.. the chicken itself tastes like any other chicken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Gaffo

I'm with our Data loving friend. Di Fontaines beside Doran's do amazing pizza slices and the portions are huge.

KFC is great but until they get proper fries they'll never live up to BK or McD plus they're quite over priced for what looks like small portions. I'm a big guy, I need something that looks like it will fill me up.

And if anyone reckons they use real chicken you're gravely mistaken. I think 10% of it has to contain chicken content to call it chicken but do you really think that 10% comes from breast of chicken. Same with McD's and BK. They stuff their patties with fat and soya(that stuff that's used to make fries). BK use a slightly higher percentage of 'beef'.

Their fries taste so good cos they use chicken salt on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

KFC's chips just are not up to scratch. They try to be proper chips, as opposed to fries in McD/BK, but just end up undercooked. Sauce range goes some way towards making up for it though.

Voted for my local chipper, best in Ireland. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

Did KFC in the republic change the flavour in the chicken fillets like they did recently in the UK?Hope not.I mainly eat in KFC in Norn Iron when I am up but they changed the mayo and the way they cook the chicken and it is not nearly as juicy and tasty as it was.The mayo just tastes too....healthy!You know,more like something you would eat if you gave a sh1t about how much cholesterol you have and so forth.Diet takeaway,if you will.Have they changed it down here or is it as good as it always was?I cant really be all that arsed eating in KFC anymore if they dont change back to the old recipe.
    KFC is coming to Cavan apparently.....

Jebus McDonalds has not got a single vote:eek: Well Im giving them mine.I think what alot of people do not like about Mc Donalds is the effort it can take to go.In the old days it was fast food-nowadays you can sometimes wait 10 minutes in some branches,and in the overcrowded town centre restaurents the food is sometimes a little cold because of lack of staff etc.I personally find nowadays that less rushed cDonalds in the country and in the suburbs taste better because they have more time to cook it properly.
    And if you ask for a specified thing(e.g Big mac no onions)you get it cooked fresh,rather than something where the bread is turning toastish from being in a heater for a half hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

If they are genetically engineering their chicken, good on them. Keep it up. Perhaps a bit of Monosodium Glutamate in the works too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Houston Griffin

LOL! No, Kentucky Fried Chicken renamed themselves during the health craze in the US when Americans thought fatty foods made one fat (now we know it's excess carbohydrates, which would explain why Americans are fatter then ever), and the company thought the word "fried" would turn consumers away. Which is totally ridiculous, considering the term "Kentucky Fried Chicken" is so deeply ingrained in the American consciousness that most aren't even aware it is officially called "KFC" now (it took this thread to remind me; I've never heard anyone say "KFC" that I can remember). Anyway, it wouldn't make sense to try a chicken substitute; chicken and beef are now the cheapest they've ever been in history (relative to wages).

Advertisement