Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My thread deleted on Politics

Options
  • 31-03-2003 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I posted a new thread entitled "IrelandAtWar.com" on Politics a few days ago. Moderators said it was "against the rules" and deleted it.

Firstly, this forum does not have rules. It has guidelines. Please use the correct term (your own, I might add).

Secondly, the guidelines are not numbered so I have no idea what "guideline" I broke.

But let me go through the "guidelines" to see if I am in breach. Since I was starting a new thread, only the section entitled "Starting Threads" could apply to my post.

So let's see what the guidelines for Starting Threads are:

"Topics should be relevant to the politics board."

My post concerns the War in Iraq and Ireland's involvement in it. Many other threads in Politics have this topic. Therefore I was not in breach of this guideline.

"Topics should not be verbatim quotes from some article sans comment. Either add a comment before or after the post, offering your opinion on the subject, or at the very least, your reason for adding the topic."

My post was not a verbatim quote from anything, therefore none of this applies and I was not in breach
    of this guideline.

"If a quoted article is available online, please supply a link to the article rather than quoting the entire article verbatim. "

My post was nothing to do with an article, therefore none of this applies and I was not in breach of this guideline.

"Make sure you prefix a Thread topic with [Article] to show it is based on a existing article from another source."

My thread was not based on an article therefore none of this applied and I was not in breach of this guideline.

Please explain what guideline I breached, or is there a secret Masonic set of guidelines that no-one knows about.

Or is the over-riding guideline "moderators can delete what they want" (including this criticism, no doubt)?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

It's in the recycle bin. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89206

I found your blahs very amusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 banjaxed

You haven't answered my question. What guideline did I breach?

I wasn't aware that causing amusement was a breach of the rules.

Sorry can't answer that mate, I'm only a mod of KittenCake.

Oh and PI also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

Originally posted by banjaxed

"Topics should not be verbatim quotes from some article sans comment. Either add a comment before or after the post, offering your opinion on the subject, or at the very least, your reason for adding the topic."

My post was not a verbatim quote from anything, therefore none of this applies and I was not in breach
    of this guideline.

"If a quoted article is available online, please supply a link to the article rather than quoting the entire article verbatim. "

My post was nothing to do with an article, therefore none of this applies and I was not in breach of this guideline.

Please explain what guideline I breached, or is there a secret Masonic set of guidelines that no-one knows about.

Or is the over-riding guideline "moderators can delete what they want" (including this criticism, no doubt)?

you posted a link and didn't comment
    QED?

you posted a link and didn't comment
    QED?

1. Such a guideline does not exist on Politics. At least it isn't written down, so how are people supposed to know it exists?

2. In a reply to my own original posting I DID comment on the link, and it still got labeled "as against the rules".

STILL waiting for an answer as to what guideline I breached.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Get over it, if you pm'd the mod it might help, but not here!
    Take a proper course of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

STILL waiting for an answer as to what guideline I breached.

****ing chill man. You only posted an hour ago. Moderators and admins have lives you know and don't go checking this board every 5 minutes.

The guidelines on politics are the way you must post. They're very simple, so it's very easy to stick within them.

I concur with Micro. You posted a link without a comment. If taht's not why it's deleted, then you were pimping another site without permission, which is against the rules of boards.ie. Check out the Newbie FAQ.

Oh, and moderators don't follow any strict guidelines. Your post may have been binned simply because the moderator though it had nothing to add to the board.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

this isn't windows
    you arn't going to get a specific error code
    look - listen - learn???

a reply of blah blah blah doesn't count either :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

I posted a new thread entitled "IrelandAtWar.com" on Politics a few days ago. Moderators said it was "against the rules" and deleted it.

Firstly, this forum does not have rules. It has guidelines. Please use the correct term (your own, I might add).

Secondly, the guidelines are not numbered so I have no idea what "guideline" I broke.

But let me go through the "guidelines" to see if I am in breach. Since I was starting a new thread, only the section entitled "Starting Threads" could apply to my post.

So let's see what the guidelines for Starting Threads are:

"Topics should be relevant to the politics board."

My post concerns the War in Iraq and Ireland's involvement in it. Many other threads in Politics have this topic. Therefore I was not in breach of this guideline.

of this guideline.

"Make sure you prefix a Thread topic with [Article] to show it is based on a existing article from another source."

My thread was not based on an article therefore none of this applied and I was not in breach of this guideline.

i think you should be banned from politics for being a cúnt.

that is all.

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    i think you should be banned from politics for being a cúnt.

that is all.

Nice way Boards.ie has of welcoming Newbies.

What is the point of having a bulletin board where an on-topic post like mine gets deleted, and an unprovoked and unwarranted personal attack on me like the above goes unchallenged. A funny kind of censorship indeed. I didn't stoop to insulting people, and I note that WhiteWashMan made no attempt to answer any of my questions or counter any of my arguments. Heard of "ad hominem" argument?

I think I'll stick to Usenet and indymedia for political conversations from now on. At least there there is no pretense of having a "just" system of rules or censorship. They allow anyone to post, no matter how small their contribution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i like his style go on the banjaxed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Hi,

I'm amp and as you can see because of all the posts that I have that I'm a BIG CHEESE around these parts.

Now, I have heard your plea and read some of the bits you posted (mostly the ones with !'s ) and have come to the conclusion that you've got a legal foothold here.

I believe that if we unite together and you give me 400 euro's in easy to install parts that we can right this wrong!

FIGHT THE POWER! SET MY PEOPLE FREE! ATARI JAGUAR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Ignore amp, he's one of the admins arse bandits....

Mail me banjaxed, borg@esatclear.ie and we can help sort things out for you, or at least get a bit of revenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

As you can clearly see, banjaxed, - as in real life, not everyone and everything on boards.ie should be taken seriously. :rolleyes:

I *do* recall them adding the rule of "dont just post a URL and say 'discuss' or 'what do you think?' without putting your own opinion up first"...

I'd be surprised if it wasn't in any of the charters though... *shrug*

Originally posted by amp
    I'm amp and as you can see because of all the posts that I have that I'm a BIG CHEESE around these parts.
    Amp is also a little dyslexic. He actually means that he is "a bit cheesy".

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

a. You pimped what I believe is your site without comment. In fact you arrived here SOLELY to do so. You havent contributed to the building of this community and in fact all you want to do is stand near us so that some people will go over to your site.
    Dont get on your high horse mate.

b. You posted a link without comment. Those get recycled. Its not about censorship (though I love the way you suggest that Whitewashman shouldn't be allowed express his view of you :) )
    In fact I think you'll find that the Mods of Politics (who you should have addressed this problem to in the first place) generally share your opinion on the war. Its standard practise and its in the guidelines sticky.

c. If you find Usenet and Indy more to your tastes then thats ok, Boards is not for everyone... its a community, it has a modus operandi thats not written in stone because a living thing like the "spirit of a community" is not possible to be carved in stone.
    Some people find the modus operandi acceptible, others dont. You'll find each board has its own particular flavour and reflects the community in each one and the moderator thereof...

d. You're just pissed cos we canned your pimpage.

e. Blah blah blah.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

What is the point of having a bulletin board where an on-topic post like mine gets deleted, and an unprovoked and unwarranted personal attack on me like the above goes unchallenged.

Think of it as a right of passage, just like going to Secondary school, you get bet by the sixth years... and if you squeal... you get bet worse......

continue though, I've been going through one of those umm, times of my life where my misanthropic tendancies have been curtailed by a woman.....

yet still the urge remains... and after all... there is a war on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I think I'll stick to Usenet and indymedia for political conversations from now on. At least there there is no pretense of having a "just" system of rules or censorship. They allow anyone to post, no matter how small their contribution.
    You posted a link to a Web site. You made no attempt at discussion or comment. Neither did you solicit discussion on the issue. You just posted a naked link. Frankly it was nothing more than than advertisment for another Web site. Spam.

You're better off going off to some site where ppl are likely to agree with you in the first place. Discussion and debate is not your aim.

We send ppl back to Stormfront.org on a regular basis too, for the same reasons, btw.

Hope this answers your query.

Originally posted by DeVore
    a. In fact you arrived here SOLELY to do so.
    You havent contributed to the building of this community and in fact all you want to do is stand near us so that some people will go over to your site.

Incorrect, I have posted to Boards.ie before, and on non-political issues/forums. Not as much as the god-like mods of course, but then I mostly use Usenet and other discussion forums. And are you trying to tell me that Boards users NEVER post links to their own sites? I find that VERY hard to believe.

In fact I can provide a counter-example of the "youth for war" thread on Politics Forum (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/t85841.html). True, this guy comments on his site and I didn't, but then how was I supposed to know that comments were mandatory and verbosity was preferred over brevity? After all, as my mantra goes, "it isn't written down anywhere obvious for a newbie to see".
    b. You posted a link without comment. Those get recycled.

If this is the case I was unaware. I am not psychic. Stick it in the guidelines. Then if I break the rules, people will have a case for insulting and ridiculing me.
    Its not about censorship (though I love the way you suggest that Whitewashman shouldn't be allowed express his view of you :) )

Never suggested any such thing, don't put words in my mouth. I was comparing my non-insulting post which WAS censored, with his insulting post which WASN'T censored. All I'm asking for is consistency. Either censor nothing a la Usenet and indymedia or have a clear set of rules setting out why a post will be censored. Make the rules so clear that even a "c*nt" moron like me can understand them.

I'm hardly pro-censorship if I admit to using UseNet and cite a "youth for war" site. The fact is even though I've used email discussion lists and Usenet for years I've never been insulted as I was by WhiteWashMan, even though those media are uncensored. Even in real life I have yet to meet someone whose level of political discourse is along the lines of "you are a c*nt".
    In fact I think you'll find that the Mods of Politics (who you should have addressed this problem to in the first place) generally share your opinion on the war. Its standard practise and its in the guidelines sticky.

I have no interest in whether mods share my opinion.
    "It" may be standard practise but if "it" is removing uncommented links, then "it" should be mentioned in politics guidelines. "It" isn't. As a Usenet user how am I supposed to know that this practise is banned on boards.ie. Write it down. Or don't, but if you don't, don't have the mods crucify the infringers.
    c. If you find Usenet and Indy more to your tastes then thats ok, Boards is not for everyone... its a community, it has a modus operandi thats not written in stone

Fair enough. Maybe a new "rule" should be don't bite the heads off guests to your community who break rules than aren't written in stone, that aren't, in fact, written anywhere (obvious).
    d. You're just pissed cos we canned your pimpage.

First you tell me uncommented links are banned, but I find that such a rule is not written down somewhere obvious. Now you tell me that people cannot "pimp".

I take "pimp" to mean either:
    A. promote commercial sites that the poster is linked to
    B. promote any site that the poster is linked to

I can find no mention of a ban on the practise of A or B in the Newbie FAQ, which as a UseNet user I turned to first. If promotion of WWW sites is so abhorrent to this Community should it not be mentioned prominently somewhere, to give fair warning to "c*nts" like me?

Funny, my disgusting pimpage did not get censored when I posted the link elsewhere on the WWW. I suppose I can take it as a characteristic of this Community.

Are you telling me that a simple pimped link will be removed, whereas a link accompanied by a 40-page essay "comment" on how great the site was would have been left on the Forum?

e. Blah blah blah.
    DeV. [/B]

I plead forgiveness for the use of these three heinous words. Next time I am frustrated at being censored for breaking unwritten and non-obvious rules I will hold back from such wilful aggression against this holy Community and simply flagellate myself liberally while intoning the words "I am a c*nt, I am a c*nt".

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Firstly, I dont condone WWman's language.

Frankly I dont see what the big deal is and YES we DO put the guidelines on the top of the forum. See the third thread from the top... the one that says:

"Sticky: Politics guidelines - read before posting"

You have a post count of 12. Including all of yours here. Yeah, you've really helped this community before using it for free advertising.

You know what, I just reread your original "complaint" and it sounds like a really prissy "I have my rights" post. So you know what I think... I think you are never going to be happy here mate.

You can ride off to Indymedia or usenet on your high horse...

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

banjaxed, why don't you head off to an Arab country and indulge in some pre-marital sex with some young ladies. See how they'll listen to you complain 'It wasn't written down anywhere' while they stone you to death.

This isn't USENET, and this isn't the rest of the web. In fact, I think the goal of the admins was to create a quiet little corner of the web for this community, which was very unlike the rest of the Internet. And they've succeeded to a certain extent.

How do you think the rest of us learned to 'fit in' with the community? You take part in discussions, live and learn. Everyone takes a few knocks in their first few posts, and almost everybody cringes when they take at look at their first few posts on the boards.

The fact that you're a USENET enthusiast is irrelevant. As I said, this isn't USENET. If you moved into a new community (like literally, moved house) tomorrow, and began to 'fight the establishment' and complain about what's wrong, you'll find yourself cut off and the rest of your community alienated pretty fast. It's no different.

Don't just post links on the Politics board. Fine, you didn't know then. Now you do. Get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Nice way Boards.ie has of welcoming Newbies.

you're welcome.
    and I note that WhiteWashMan made no attempt to answer any of my questions or counter any of my arguments. ?

im glad to see you read and thought about my reply, and you are bang on the money, i did indeed make absolutley no attempt to answer your questions or counter any of your arguments.
    of course, i thought oyu were generally whinging and complaining because your post was moved and you stomped in here and started shouting and screaming like a little kid who has just dropped his ice cream on the ground.
    as for your arguments that something isnt written down....
    its a pretty poor argument. in fact, its so poor, im going to call you gay because of it

you are gay.

Heard of "ad hominem" argument?

yes, but i didnt claim your argument was false, i just said you were a cúnt.
    please, if you are going to start spouting out latin phrases, make sure you use them at someone who is less intelligent than you. unfortunately, im not easily impressed, and unless you have mighty fine breasts, i cant imagine you impressing me inthe near future either....

sorry, i have had a look about (just as you did) and i couldnt find it written anywhere that there was a 'just' system of rules there?
    can you please show me where this is written. i dont want to post up something and then have to have a big tantrum over it being removed.

by the way, i notice on one of your other posts you have used the phrase 'cúnt moron'. i dont believe anyone said you were a moron. i will take it this is your own way to refer to yourself?

please, have a nice day, and call again.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

banjaxed / bubbles, I thought you were going to allow me in on this troll. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Right, I guess I'm one of these 'godlike' politics mods. (God, I feel so important saying that - *cough* anyway). I personally didn't get to snip your thread, by the looks of it gandalf got to it before me, but I support his actions.

Firstly, it's difficult to come up with a complete and comprehensive set of rules that encompasses every post that could be interpreted as a 'misdemeanor'. That's why we call them "guidelines". They are there to give people an impression of what sort of material is appropriate and what we don't consider acceptable. It's apparant you haven't been around boards much, but I can tell you that one thing pretty much everyone hates here is spam. And that's exactly what that post looked like. You might think you had been posting the most insightful, exciting link on the web in regards to the war, but all we saw was - "URL - blah blah blah (sic) ". We binned it. Get over it.

We mod's aren't psychic, nor are we here to babysit emotions. If you have genuine views about anything politically motivated, we won't snip them. However, we're also sick of propoganda and especially spam. If you have something relevant to add to the conversation, then please add it. If you feel you have a valid complaint about us (and believe me, you're not the first - anyone remember Kim-Tae-Woo - and I certainly don't believe you'll be the last) then it's your right to take it to admin. Genuine grievances are treated as such. However I find it incredible that you should expect sympathy from what is generally a pretty close knit community for something that is generally considered minor. I've had posts edited on me - god knows everyone here has. I don't complain on admin about it, and neither do most others.

As for your comment about welcoming newbies... well it is true that we usually show more deference to more established members (although they by no means have free reign). The reason for this is that we have a general impression of their character due to their other posts, and hence tend to give them the benefit of the doubt when they step out of line. For you, we have no such frame of reference, and given our previous trouble with newbies that seem to have a penchant for flaming it's entirely unsurprising that we're unsympathetic to your plight.

And yes. Amp is being sarcastic, WhiteWashMan is trolling. And people are laughing at you. Also if you think that boards.ie is chasing you away because we want to censor your opinions, think again. Just take a look at my very first post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Funny, my disgusting pimpage did not get censored when I posted the link elsewhere on the WWW. I suppose I can take it as a characteristic of this Community.

Oh look, a bug in the parser... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by swiss
    WhiteWashMan is trolling.

WWM? *TROLLING*? Surely you are mistaken!
    He must have just gotten out of the wrong side of the bed this morning :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    you're welcome.

in fact, its so poor, im going to call you gay because of it

you are gay.

by the way, i notice on one of your other posts you have used the phrase 'cúnt moron'. i dont believe anyone said you were a moron. i will take it this is your own way to refer to yourself?

please, have a nice day, and call again.

Rofl WWM, you are what the Spanish call 'el terrible...'

I would think this is a troll, but noone could put that much effort into one........or could they?

/me struts around with my 900+ posts

Each 100 posts allows me to chase away one newbie from boards.ie

/clears throat

*I mock your value system!*

Advertisement