Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where can i get oak wood

Options
  • 31-03-2003 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭

i want to get a small piece of untreated oak wood. it is for flavouring wine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Try a timber mill (not your average local DIY / builder's type place), but I suspect the untreated stuff they have would be quite rough and high in moisture. While oak (a hardwood) doesn't receive as much treament as softwood, you just don't want to risk pesticide / whatever in your booze.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

thanks. it doesnt matter if its rough or wet. i'll look up the yellow pages. all the home brew shops have closed down near me. i tried to spot a oak tree but dont know what to look for especially as the trees are bare at the moment. i only need a few shavings

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

:D

Find a train track with the old Oak Sleepers and get hack some off hehehe...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Saruman
    Find a train track with the old Oak Sleepers and get hack some off hehehe...
    Not a good idea, they are preserved in creosote (a tar based poison) and have been subjected to years of diesel leaks and toilet flushing from trains. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 loveheartsandnicotine

just throwing this idea out..but how about finding whoever u know locally who restores old furniture?..u will get all the oak ya want..specially if its just shavings...............( i always imagined that to give an oak flavour to wine, u needed and oak cask, live and learn)........send me a bottle if it works:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement