Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chip Fan

• 31-03-2003 6:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭

I have a Gigabyte GA 7dxr+ motherboard. When I turned my computer on today I noticed that there was a very loud humming noise, turns out it was the chip fan.

My question is: Is this fan necessary or is the heat sink sufficient enough cooling? If it is necessary where could i find a replacement?

The noise is really loud and annoying the hell out of me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

if it is 40mm*40mm u can get at komplett,this is the most common size

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

Try taking the sticker off the middle of the fan and put a bit of wd40 or the like in the hole under it . If that doesn't work you could buy a larger heatsink which won't need a fan maplins have one or buy a 40mm fan as kmb said.
    If you have good air flow in your case you would probably get away without the fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭Callan

I Peeled both the front and back stickers off but theres no hole.

couldn't find any 40mm*40mm fans on komplett.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

I had the same problem with the 40mm northbridge fan on my Abit KT7A mobo.I ended up getting the Zalman silent northbridge in maplin for E12 i think.Tiz just a aluminium Heatsink with no fan,Dimensions are 37(L)x37(w)x32(H) and claims it will fit any mobo,evan if it dosent have mounting holes ( Thermal Adhesive ).Was a bit trickey to install ( 10min ) but it looks really cool and does the job fine.btw the North Bridge heatsink temp on MY comp is 18-23C now,dunno wot it was b4 with the crappy 40mm fan, think it was low 30's.

COMBATCOW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

try blowing the dust out of the fan and HS, aslo clean the fan blades with a cloth if needed.

put a small drop of 3in1 oil in the hole where you took off the sticker and let it sink in. WD40's viscosity is a bit light IMHO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭Callan

Went for the ol 3 in 1 option, worked perfectly.
    Hopefully it will last a while

Thanks for all your help.

Advertisement