Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOLFREE Email Dialup restriction

Options
  • 31-03-2003 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have an IOLFREE email address, which I would like to retain, just because it's registered with so many websites/mailing lists. The problem is that I cannot send email unless I'm connected using an iol/netsmart dialup connection. It won't work over a gprs connection.

Is there anyway to have this restriction lifted?

Thanks,

Ro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

I presume a gprs connection would be like a normal dialup in that you dial up to a certain isp/service - you could use the iol webmail - or you'll need use the outgoing mail server of whoever you're connecting with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by Ro-76
    Is there anyway to have this restriction lifted?

Probably not. There are valid reasons for that block (to prevent relaying) and also commercial reasons that you might or might not consider valid.

A workaround is for you to get a new e-mail addy elsewhere. Then set up forwarding on your IOLFREE account to forward and delete all mails. Used to work with the IOL service anyway, not sure about IOLFREE.

yeah of course a relay server will(should) only take mail destined for a customer on that server if you're connecting to it from an external address - however if you change the relay server over to your isps relay server(the isp you're actually diallingup/connected to) then you're no longer an external address and shoudl be able to relay to your hearts content.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

Thanks for all the help, guys.

I don't really understand the relay issue, though. I have seen relay server programs which will send the email directly, without going through the isp server, but this does not seem to be what you mean.

The smtp server program would work well, except that I really want to use it on my Sony Clie PDA, because this is the device which I most frequently use a GPRS connection with. I do sometimes connect my laptop via GPRS, but not as frequently.

Is there anyway that iol would allow me to connect using a GPRS connection?

Thanks again for all the suggestions to date.

Ro

is there not an entry in the software you use on the clie which asks you for an outgoing/smtp mail server? - that's what i mean by a relay server

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Ro - if you're dialling up through, say, o2's gprs, i'd imagine you need to change the smtp server to that of o2's. The smtp server has to be that of the ISP you're connected with.

BTW, can you pm me and tell me how you set up your clie for dial up? I have an NR70-V, can't figure out how to do it :)

Advertisement