Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does rice make birds go *BANG*?

Options
  • 31-03-2003 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

Just curious someone was saying yesterday that if you feed rice to birds it makes em blow up. Is this true or another old wives tale? Also if it is true how large a blast radius are we talking about, up to a meter blast range for a falcon maybe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

http://birds.cornell.edu/cfw/feeding_birds/feeding_myths.html
    Bird Feeding Myths

Myth: If birds eat uncooked rice, it can swell up in their throats or stomachs and kill them.
    Fact: Plenty of birds eat uncooked rice in the wild. Bobolinks, sometimes called "rice birds," are a good example. While rice is okay for birds, many wedding parties now throw bird seed instead.

Various other pages also say it's grand to feed your bird rice too...

I hope I havent ruined a perfectly good night in infront of the birdcage ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

:D Singing high pitched like in Shrek might do it.. Rice.. i doubt it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

i just love the title of this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Carbiens

if your badly stuck just use c4 its a lot more common than that RICE stuff

think PRACTICAL..man

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

my grandfather told me something similar years ago (I was only about 7) that if you feed bread to the birds without wetting it first, they eat it and then take a drink causing the bread to swell up and the birds to choke. Ever since, I've been compelled to only put soggy bread out for the birds.......... Feck - another illusion shattered, next yez'll be telling me there's no santy..................... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭RED HORN

Ah Lisa Simpson what other myths must you create.

Advertisement