Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing redhat on a laptop

• 31-03-2003 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for general info / experiences more than actual nity gritty stuff. I tried installing redhat 7.1 on my laptop (Dell Inspiron4000) and had a lo of trouble. It was about a year ago if not more.

I would get to stage x of the installation, and everything would just hang. On each retry I got to stage x +1, x+1+1 etc. But the guy helping me said the Redhat was notoriously hard to install on laptops so I installed Linux Mandrake instead.

An-ee-waaeeeeyy... does anyone know if the situation has improved with more recent releases?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

i installed red hat 7 on dell insp 3800, without too many problems, just had to make sure that the drive was partitioned correctly and that any pcmcia cards
    were removed. have a look here or here, hope it helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

I installed red hat 8 on my friends dell inspiron 8000 and on my own (my one had windows NT so I had to customise the bootloader settings). No problems, it set up all the laptop stuff automatically, like battery meter, sound card, geforce2 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

Cool, thanks. I'll give it another shot after the exams so :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

RH7.1 gave me an amount of trouble when I was installing it on an Inspiron 7500. Like you I installed Mandrake instead. RH8 on the other hand installed without a quibble. Quad booting it at the moment and I'm a happy boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by daveirl
    Quad booting? Jeez, i thought my triple boot was bad. Whatcha need 4 for?
    Only temporary - usually just 98/XP/RH8. Added in the latest Longhorn build for a wee while. May drop XP and go back to 2000.

I know that hardly any games work on W2K. That's why a lot of people have a windows98 partition. I don't know if this is the case with XP though as I plan on avoiding it completely.

Why bother with 98 & XP. What do you run on 98 that won't work on XP?

A few games. XP will run most of them though, some in ye olde compatibility mode (not all though).

• Advertisement

Why? Don't knock it unless you've tried it. I think it's an absolutely fantastic OS.
    A few guys in my class in college have it by default on their laptops and we had a rough time trying to get software to work on it (albeit fairly off the beaten path software).

I don't like the licence and the hardware restrictions. Another friend of mine has to contact Microsoft if he wants to install Studio Max 3D as XP believes it may be pirated.

One person in my class formatted his harddrive and put on W2K wit service pack 3, and it's running very well for him. I jknow it's a new OS and it will take time to iron out all the bugs, but I get the impression it's a bit of a restrictive OS.

Advertisement