Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swap Application Code

Options
  • 31-03-2003 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to open a small program in say Notepad and copy the code it shows as another .exe program ??
    For example :
    open Calc.exe in notepad, also open clock.exe in another Notepad. Replace the Code from calc.exe with clock.exe, save both, double click calc.exe and have it actually run Calc.exe.
    Now i have tried it (i hear the laughing already) and it doesnt work. but if i can get it to work then it could prove very useful to me. So why doesnt it work, is it to do with the ascii character set or the way notepad Displays the code.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

delete calc.exe
    copy clock.exe and call the copy calc.exe

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

And if it was a semi disabled system that say for example didnt allow full explorer priviledges such as copy and paste and rename. ???

You see i know how to do all that stuff, but if there is a way to trick the OS into thinking one Prog is actually another allowed Prog. See what i mean DBC ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Nope it doesn't work.

Most likely because what is read directly out of the executable into notepad is not what gets written back.

You could try writing an actual program to read (n) bytes of information from file1 (which could be an executable) and write (n) bytes to file2, without interfering with the acutal information conatined within....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

An EXE is a binary rather than a text file and Windoze (unlike *nix) differenciates between the two. As such Notepad would not properly save your file as it only really handles the latter.

You could do it, however, but would have to use a so-called hex-editor for Windoze, of which there are plenty available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

What program do you want to use?
    Open up excel and go to the macro editor..

and put together the simplest of macros in the Workbook object...

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    Shell("C:\winnt\notepad.exe")
    End Sub

Since macros rarely run as a user you should be able to bypass the crappy protection that poledit and the like provide.

Discovered the above when I worked in a bank (who completly lock down their PCs).. tis handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

And if it was a semi disabled system that say for example didnt allow full explorer priviledges such as copy and paste and rename. ???

sounds like you are trying to do something that you have not been granted access rights for so you shouldn't really be doing it

Originally posted by amen
    sounds like you are trying to do something that you have not been granted access rights for so you shouldn't really be doing it
    Amen amen :)

Yea its a work pc running a stripped down windows which allows nothing to run except what is allowed via shortcuts contained in an explorer like program.
    Tis ok i found another way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

what was the other way around ?

PM me if you want to know, we are being watched ;)

Advertisement