Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beam Solutions no more

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Sad :( but not entirely unexpected and they will hardly be the last satellite provider to go belly up.

Surely the government should be looking at sponsoring satellite internet access as Ireland has so many people living in rural areas who will never be able to get DSL. The British government subsidises BT's satellite in Scotland and Northern Ireland for businesses as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Originally posted by kevinmcc
    Check out this http://www.beamsolutions.com They have ceased trading.

Just noticed that according to their site they have actually Seized Trading. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Surely the government should be looking at sponsoring satellite internet access as Ireland has so many people living in rural areas who will never be able to get DSL.

They sponors alot of trials for Schools in rural areas,
    there is one particular project ...

Read about it here here

Might be worth your while badgering your td for tax breaks, I would be reluctant for the govt to give funding/tax breaks in an uncontroled manner, the telcos/satillete isps who are know for their creative bills might use it as an excuse to increase prices ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

oh yeah,

as for Beam Solution ... nuts to em ... bad expierence with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Beam were amongst the many resellers of the Gilat sat system which is an Israeli Military Sat with some spare capacity ...except when there is a war on of course :D

BT also resell the same Sat in rural areas in Scotland where they do not intend to provide LOS or NLOS Wireless or Mesh Wireless solutions as they will in England/Wales

The Gilat Sat has many detractors they appear to monitor traffic and to close ports arbitrarily , Google around to see what I mean.

Personally I would avoid it like the plague.

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Muck, what's the actual name of the satellite Gilat use for their European service?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Gilat dont use an Israeili satellite! They use Eurobird at 28E, the same place you get your sky digital from ;).

BT offer the service all over the UK.

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

http://www.beamsolutions.com/ i think the site is gone!! well its not working on my pc! .... is it just me??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

It isn't just you, their site is not coming up for me either.

Advertisement