Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EWJ: Cable modems, you were thinking of

Options
  • 21-04-1998 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

You mentioned below the American internetting using his TV, I presume he/you meant a cable modem.

You use the tv cable, it can have a couple of megabits per sec downstream towards you and then a lower upstream rate of 256/512 kilobits per sec.

This of course is f'ing miles faster than a regular modem and would be brilliant for internet/quake/downloading. Trouble is is that it does need special equipment and the tv cable needs to be suitable.

Situation in Ireland as I read it:
    Who owns tinet - Telecom Eireann
    Who owns cablelink - Telecom Eireann 51% or 49%)
    (oh by the way who owns indigo - Telecom Eireann)

Who makes money out of phone calls - Telecom Eireann.

Why should cablelink try and set up dirt cheap internet to compete with tinet and not use phone lines?

I like to refer to this as
    "The quake, the Telecom, his tinet and her cablelink" by Pretty_Green-Away.

FlavorFlav

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

: You mentioned below the American internetting using his TV, I presume he/you meant a cable modem.

: You use the tv cable, it can have a couple of megabits per sec downstream towards you and then a lower upstream rate of 256/512 kilobits per sec.

: This of course is f'ing miles faster than a regular modem and would be brilliant for internet/quake/downloading. Trouble is is that it does need special equipment and the tv cable needs to be suitable.

: Situation in Ireland as I read it:
    : Who owns tinet - Telecom Eireann
    : Who owns cablelink - Telecom Eireann 51% or 49%)
    : (oh by the way who owns indigo - Telecom Eireann)

: Who makes money out of phone calls - Telecom Eireann.

: Why should cablelink try and set up dirt cheap internet to compete with tinet and not use phone lines?

: I like to refer to this as
    : "The quake, the Telecom, his tinet and her cablelink" by Pretty_Green-Away.

: FlavorFlav

Well hope for the future is that Telecom has been told to sell Cablelink but I'd imagine the state they leave it in will require huge investment to get it up to spec.

Still where's there's hope.... or I could get a 10 mile extention cord and try BT ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Boba Fett

: : You mentioned below the American internetting using his TV, I presume he/you meant a cable modem.

: : You use the tv cable, it can have a couple of megabits per sec downstream towards you and then a lower upstream rate of 256/512 kilobits per sec.

: : This of course is f'ing miles faster than a regular modem and would be brilliant for internet/quake/downloading. Trouble is is that it does need special equipment and the tv cable needs to be suitable.

: : Situation in Ireland as I read it:
    : : Who owns tinet - Telecom Eireann
    : : Who owns cablelink - Telecom Eireann 51% or 49%)
    : : (oh by the way who owns indigo - Telecom Eireann)

: : Who makes money out of phone calls - Telecom Eireann.

: : Why should cablelink try and set up dirt cheap internet to compete with tinet and not use phone lines?

: : I like to refer to this as
    : : "The quake, the Telecom, his tinet and her cablelink" by Pretty_Green-Away.

: : FlavorFlav

: Well hope for the future is that Telecom has been told to sell Cablelink but I'd imagine the state they leave it in will require huge investment to get it up to spec.

: Still where's there's hope.... or I could get a 10 mile extention cord and try BT ...

When the phone system is denationalised in about 2 years(hopefully), you'll have all sorts of ISP's and Telco's in here, providing a faster,cheaper service. TI'll have to start competing then. All the better for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭FlavorFlav

: When the phone system is denationalised in about 2 years(hopefully), you'll have all sorts of ISP's and Telco's in here, providing a faster,cheaper service. TI'll have to start competing then. All the better for us.

Having to wait 2 years makes you happy?

Everything needs to be done yesterday.

FlavorFlav

Advertisement