Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinions on what I paid for my new car

Options
  • 01-04-2003 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭

I've just bought myself a new car. It's a black VW Golf 1.6 Trendline (bucket seats, cd etc) '98. Milage is 50k and it's got a full service history and is still under warranty for another 4 months from when the last owner purchased it(I bought it privately). Hell it's even got the manual!!! The car is absolutely immaculate and to boot it's got some really nice 16" VW alloys. I paid exactly €10,000 ;) in cash for it! It was advertised it The Herald for €10,500.

I personally think I got a pretty good deal. The same model with less features seems to generally be going for between 10-13k, dealers and private sales.

What does everyone here think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

I've always stuck by the maxim that 'a car is worth only what you're willing to pay', you were willing to pay €10K hence that how much the car is worth.

PS: Good job it has those bucket seats, especially with that 1600cc engine ;)

Good luck with it G.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Thanks Dre! :)

I have to say it's quick nippy with that 1.6 engine - feels like a cruise missile compared to my last car, a 1.4 1993 Golf!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

a mate of mine has one of the 1.6 Golfs and swears by it, like you he had an old 1.4 golf and traded it in for a new one a whole ago.. there is a some kick out of it, especially when on the open road and you drop a gear to over take...

A good buy from what uve said.. especially with all the extras..

It's even nicer now imo!

I've just got some fancy lexus style rear lights and I've got some new plates - black background with silver letters. I got them from http://www.fancyplates.com/index.html very good site I have to say. You can design your own plates, pay for them and they'll arrive through your letterbox in two days! :D

I'm also gonna lower the car 40mm with some lowering springs that I got from Pro-Parts in Fairview. Should stick to the road like never before when I've got that done! :D

Btw also getting the windows tinted on Saturday for practical and aesthetic reasons!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

sucker you bought a new car - you just thrown away the first years depreciation - if it makes you happy though !!!!!

• Advertisement

Er, ednwireland what do you mean I'm a sucker? Coz of the price I paid or something else?
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

Ednwireland seems to think that you bought an '03 car instead of a '98

As for the price. Once you are happy it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

In fairness if I stuck an '03 reg on the car you would be pushed to find someone who didn't think it was new such is the condition of the car! Will post a pic up soon for you guys to check out...

Now.... Where did I put that darn digital camera! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Giles a word of advice for you if you want to lower the car you should really get different dampers as well as just using lowering springs normally leads to trouble...

I would recommend a set of Koni ride adjustable dampers and H&R springs the ride is not to rough and the car will stick to the road on any corner. Check out http://www.vage.ie and take a look at either the Golf or the Technical forums and you'll see some topics on this.

kayos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Thanks Kayos. I will check that site out when I get the chance...

I have actually already got Eibach 40mm lowering springs designed for the Golf Mk 4. Are they ok do you think?

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    How are there 4 months left on the warranty?

The guy I bought it off only bought it from Foster Motors 8 months ago and he got a 12 month warranty with it! :)

Handy for me if anyone goes wrong in the next four months methinks... Of course typically I'd imagine the engine will fall out or something a day after the warranty expires! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭BubbleBoy

I've got the Mark4 golf with a 1.4 engine, great car but you were wise to get the 1.6 as in the smaller version can be sluggist enough. The Mack5 is going to be release in June '04, I saw the V.W artist impression and I was very impressed!
    Best fo luck with your new car.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Giles - You seem to have a good buy alright, had a look at the autotrader and there was 99 for 12.599 yoyos so that fits in alright.
    Keep it between the auld whites lines and best of luck with it ;):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

I think he's just boasting so everyone will know what car he drives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭leonotron

What are the practical reasons for the tinted windows, they are a bítch at night time when driving.
    Originally posted by Giles
    It's even nicer now imo!

I've just got some fancy lexus style rear lights and I've got some new plates - black background with silver letters. I got them from http://www.fancyplates.com/index.html very good site I have to say. You can design your own plates, pay for them and they'll arrive through your letterbox in two days! :D

I'm also gonna lower the car 40mm with some lowering springs that I got from Pro-Parts in Fairview. Should stick to the road like never before when I've got that done! :D

Btw also getting the windows tinted on Saturday for practical and aesthetic reasons!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

The guy I bought it off only bought it from Foster Motors 8 months ago and he got a 12 month warranty with it! :)

Handy for me if anyone goes wrong in the next four months methinks... Of course typically I'd imagine the engine will fall out or something a day after the warranty expires! :eek:

LOL - I suggest you ring Foster Motors right now and confirm this you muppet. 3rd party warranties are rarely transferrable as they are a sales gimmick pure and simple.

Also, why do you want to lower this car? It is a family hatchback for Christ sake!! Oh Lordy... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

MojoMuffty, u seem a bit jealous there!! A bit eager to littlemake.

What do u drive, a lada.

Originally posted by MojoMaker
    LOL - I suggest you ring Foster Motors right now and confirm this you muppet. 3rd party warranties are rarely transferrable as they are a sales gimmick pure and simple.

Also, why do you want to lower this car? It is a family hatchback for Christ sake!! Oh Lordy... :D

Hmmm... You Mojomaker are in fact the muppet. If you knew anything about the handling physics of a car and actually enjoyed driving you would know why I got the car lowererd. Better handling, sharper steering and far less body roll are the main reasons without even mentioned the fact that it automatically improves the car imo :)

As for your know-it-all quip regarding the warranty of my car, I actually checked this all out before I bought the car!

Oh and Leonotron you were querying the benefits of having tinted windows? Well here they are as follows in no particular order of benefit:

1. Improved security(ie very difficult if not impossible to see into the car and see if anything's been left on any of the seats).

2. Improved looks imo, especially on black cars...

3.Improved daytime & nightime driving due to reduced glare from sun and idiots with their full-beam headlights on behind you.

4. Interior of car stays better for longer due to less fading of vinyl surfaces (dash etc) and fabrics...

5. Glass won't shatter when broken when glass has been tinted in the standard way using film, benefits of this are obvious!

Right I'm done now!

Never thought I'd be getting back to this post but there you have it!!! :D

/ edited to amend a mispelt word

• Advertisement

I'll admit it does look good on some cars. I'd be afraid that scum bags would break in as they would see it as you might be hiding something. I drove a VW with tinted windows for a while and found it a pain in the arse using the side mirrors. Just my opinion. And it attracts unwanted attention from Gardai aswell which can be a pain in the arse. How much did it cost to get done?
    Hmmm... You Mojomaker are in fact the muppet. If you knew anything about the handling physics of a car and actually enjoyed driving you would know why I got the car lowererd. Better handling, sharper steering and far less body roll are the main reasons without even mentioned the fact that it automatically improves the car imo :)

As for your know-it-all quip regarding the warranty of my car, I actually checked this all out before I bought the car!

Oh and Leonotron you were querying the benefits of having tinted windows? Well here they are as follows in no particular order of benefit:

1. Improved security(ie very difficult if not impossible to see into the car and see if anything's been left on any of the seats).

2. Improved looks imo, especially on black cars...

3.Improved daytime & nightime driving due to reduced glare from sun and idiots with their full-beam headlights on behind you.

4. Interior of car stays better for longer due to less fading of vinyl surfaces (dash etc) and fabrics...

5. Glass won't shatter when broken when glass has been tinted in the standard way using film, benefits of this are obvious!

Right I'm done now!

Never thought I'd be getting back to this post but there you have it!!! :D

/ edited to amend a mispelt word

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

Haha, Nice one Giles. I'm not particularly into the whole buy-racer, hot-hatch thing
    myself, but it really bugs me when people come into a discussion just to make some
    stupid comment like MojoMaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Au contraire. My comment was a bona fide question. Why would you want to lower a family hatchback like a Golf 1.6? It's not as if it's a GTi or anything, or has any performance worth speaking about. What is it with spotty early 20s buckos and modding up very boring cars? Why not wait until you can afford a decent motor? Who are ye trying to impress?

As for the old "improves handling" line...no doubt it does but it's hardly the reason yer man is doing it. Won't be a whole lot of use on the M50 on a Friday evening and anyway the engine won't have the puff to ever threaten the normal handling characteristics of the car. More like our friend Giles simply wants to appear cool, in some misguided way. You boy racers will never learn, actually should really make that boy poseurs because inevitably they drive very slow vehicles, such as lardy 1.6 Golfs. Gilesy would have gotten a lot more respect for simply leaving the discussion to the purchase of the car and accept it for what is. As soon as lowering springs were mentioned it screamed out twat.

As for window tinting - this will attract more attention than not doing it and could cost him in the long run. Then again who thinks about this when the motivation is to look cool.

Oh, and I have an RX7 which genuinely deserves any enchancements made. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

See, there you go, I personally think that the RX-7 is a girly looking car, but each to
    their own.I have full respect for the engine, bags of horsepower out of a 1.3 rotary
    engine, but personally I don't like the styling. Now if you would just respect that
    everyone has different ideas of what a nice car looks like, and if some boy-racer
    wants to lower the car or tint the windows just let it go, its not your taste but that
    dosent make him a muppet. Actually when I see someone driving those phallic
    Ferrari-wannabe budget sports cars I usually think muppet, go figure.

Advertisement