Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recomended RTS games?

Options
  • 01-04-2003 12:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Guys im looking for a really good RTS.
    ive played Age of empires,sudden strike,all CandC disapointed with generals BTW,Warcraft[which was great except i didnt like having to seek out creatures so as to improve your Heroes skill],Total War.
    Unfortunately got bored with all the above in a few days.
    Ive been thinking about Empire Earth and Age of Mythology or upcoming releases Blitxkreig and WW2 RTS from Bitmap bros [unsure of full title]
    Any ideas guys?
    Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Hmmm .. for something a little *different* check out "Space Hulk" (the win95 version, not the realllllllly old version)

It's basically fps meets strategy (once you get past the first campaign and get promoted to sergeant)

Granted .. not quite a RTS per-se

Also take a look at Panzer General II (although it's a turn-based strategy) and it may be a bit dated now but it is bloody good. You can rewrite the entire history of ww2 ;)

Perhaps not the post you were looking for, but certainly something a bit different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Empire Earth is not as different as you would be led to believe. Good though.

Look out for Cossacks (far superior to the age of series, my favorite RTS), also warrior kings is fantastic and battle realms too.

Age of Mythology is good, more of the same really, but definitely the best in the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Total Annihalation, the true classic.
    StarCraft.
    Chaos Gate, a warhammer turn based smal scale combat which is based on a small squad where you level them up etc, great SP.
    Final Liberation, another warhammer RTS, also turn based but this time with huge titans and huge scale wars, great MP.
    Warzone 2100, to get all the tech in a skirmish game on this with al 4 research centres it takes about 4hours........ (never ending tech)
    Earth2150, pretty good RTS, you can design your own viechles warzone style and has 3 very diffrent armies.
    Red Alert2 : eagle Red mod, adds alot to the game and can keep you playing for ages (need yuri's revenge for the latest versions of it tho).

That shuld be enough to keep you going :)

(ps: Age of Empires 2: Conquerers beats AoM in every way :cool:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

I still prefere Tib Sun over all the others, TA is pretty cool but have never played a multi player against people on it. Have a look under the strategy thread for it, there was loads posted about it.

Red-Alert2 is fun but seriously flawed, force shoot in shroud and the fact it shows and tells everyone you've a super weapon, that sux. Put me right off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Try out Rise of Nations when it comes out. I've been playing a beta release, for Gamire.com and I think it's pretty damn good. I believe it's out in April. It has some nice touches which make it stand out from the crowd, very like Empire Earth in scope but more playable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Oh .. and how could I forget ....

"StarWars: Rebellion" gives you the chance to fight the fight with either the rebellion or the empire.

It's an RTS, but not in the conventional sense of the word. This is more of a strategy game that happens to occur in real time, than an "RTS" game if you follow me.

It can be a little hard to take in everything that's going on sometimes given that you have an entire galaxy of star-systems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

Most of the best RTS have already been covered but-
    Here are some more good RTS variants

Ground Zero,<<<Edit OOPS Gound Control>>> Great RTS without all that unrealistic resource gathering that plagues the genre.

Shadow Of The Horned Rat, Games Workshop total war

Icewindale & Dungeon Siege,Slicy RPG action

Mechcommander,Tiny Weeny Giant Stompy Robots

Freedom Force. Superhero chop socky with an outstanding Mod communit(jik,beyonder,interceptor,griffon ect)

Homeworld,Space combat

Original War,off the wall rts with a wierd manga style and a few novel elements.Let down by Poor enemy AI and Over use of script triggers.

Also try Theme Hospital,Roller coaster tycoon,Startopia and Tropico for real time base management sims.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Starcraft & Mechcommander (not sure about MC 2 but the first one is amazing)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

If you have an old computer handy, try and find Terranova. A sort of FPS where you have up to 4-5 squad members that you can order about and get them to flank, scout, wait for a signal, lay charges etc. Lots of strategy, and a great game to boot.

Nobody mentioned Ground Control. Granted the story's a bit clichéd, but it looks nice, there's no mucking about with building crap, and tactics are essential, such as using shadows, high ground, flanking/crossfires, scouting, suppressive fire, and so on. Plus lots of big guns...

Any of Black Isle's Baldur's Gate or Planescape: Torment style games are excellent too, although there's plenty of just wandering about and talking to people too...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

For me starcraft is the best rts game. It still gets played on lan far more than Warcraft 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

i'd rather play warcraft 3 these days , but i can definitely see why people would still prefer Starcraft , amazing game imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Total Annihalation,
    Star Craft,
    Dark Omen,
    Age of Mythology,
    Warrior King Battles,
    Metal Fatigue,

Thats my lot on this one, hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Ground Control is one of the best examples of the genre, and is almost certainly available on budget too.

Bloody hard towards the last few missions though, I'm stuck on the
    joint assault on a base a mission or two after Major Parker and Deacon Stone team up, I think it's the second base they have to take, tonnes of artillery...

Oooh, oooh, and Homeworld is brilliant. Like C&C- In Space! some really cool looking dogfights and stuff, nice story to it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Warzone 2100, mentioned above, was good yeah. I think the vehicle customisations were great.. Got a bit annoying that every time you researched a new technology, you had to re-design your whole army.

Homeworld, and its followup Homeworld Cataclysm, were great games.
    The original was much better for MP and sneaky MP tactics.. Having said that though the second was much prettier.

And Starcraft.. Well if you havnt played this, then the question is why the hell not...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Zukustious

Get Homeworld. What's different about it is that you keep what you have as the levels progress. So if you've built a huge army of ion cannons, you'll keep 'em for the next level. However, if you lose all your ships, you're screwed and it gets quite hard.

Cataclysm is O.K, but I prefered the original. Alternatively you could wait for Homeworls 2 to come out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭EdBanger

geting twitchy just thinking about homeworld 2.

One of the best things about homeworld had to be the athmospheric music, oh yeah and the way it made you think 3D for once,

Cataclysm wasn't as mind blowing as Home world, but probably only because we knew what to expect. It did have better AI and easier controle of your squadrons. Which was nice.

There is no finer RTS Series than Homeworld.:ninja:

I'm playin, at the moment. U might enjoy them:

Settlers 4
    Galactic Civilisations
    Warzone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Zukustious

I've started playing Homeworld again. When's Homeworld 2 coming out? Anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭cr1spy

Medieval or Shogun Total War

both excellent, but Medieval is slightly more accessible.

they work both as turn based and RTS games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭EdBanger

I.m playing MOO3 atm, (Dam you Jaggeh!!) Its not a RTS more of a Turn Based Looooooooooooooong Term Stratagy Game, Bit like the Staw Wars Supremicy and Rebillion Titles. But its Guuud, reall Guud.

Just saw a preview in a mag for HW2, looking fairly complete, so hopefully soon. It look the business, the visuals are really well polished, and the mothership is bigger (there are even BIGGER ships there too!) and you can customise it a lot more, as well as most of the big ships too...Yum, can't wait.

Advertisement