Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum spec. for i-stream

Options
  • 01-04-2003 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭

Just decided to check my computer to see if it met the eircom minimum requirements for i-stream (using the standalone test) as I had nothing better to do while waiting for April 11th.

I've got an athlon XP 1700+, 512 MB DDR RAM so I didn't expect any problems. Of course as it ran through the checks it told me my processor failed. I assume that this is just because it's not a standard Intel chip and that everything will run fine. Does anybody know of some other reason why it might fail (apart from poor Eircom software)?

Then I was told my browser failed and that I needed to run at least IE5, despite running IE 6.X.

Last thing I want is to be told that I can't have i-stream because I've failed the minimum specs. acording to their test, all because I wanted to have an alternative processor to Intel. I don't see why my system should fail, or am I missing something?

The online line test passed fine and I'm only 500m from the local enabled exchange.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Ignore it. There are no real minimum requirements at all. Given an ethernet modem, you could very easily use a 386SX to access I-Stream. And whatever you do, don't install any of Eircom's software. There lies trouble and strife of the highest order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Nitrox

When Eircom made this test program they expected everyone to be on the same technical level as they was and still is which is where the rest of the developed world was 3 years ago at least.
    With this kind of view on the world it is no wonder why Eircon see no reason to offer this "Amacing new technolegy" to users who would never actually be able to use more speed than a good old analog modem will provide.
    I say put Eircon where they belong, in a museum!

Advertisement