Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Broadband

Options
  • 01-04-2003 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭

Guys,

For those interested, the Minister launched the Limerick Metro yesterday. There is a website, it has only been designed and needs some work so please have some patience. Shannon Broadband.

thegills

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

eh,

don't suppose you are reselling backhaul to any wireless internet providers yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

MDR,
    Construction has yet to start. It should really only take 6 month's to build but the funding is spread over 2 years so target completion is May'04.
    When complete the Dept. driven MSE (Management Service Entity) will run, manage and market the network.
    For further information have a look at the Dept website.(http://www.dcmnr.gov.ie/display.asp/pg=865)
    thegills

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I might get excited if it was finished. Dermot Ahern crawling around the country launching services that have yet to start construction smacks of idiocy. I suppose he'll be around again when it's done & when they turn it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by sceptre
    I might get excited if it was finished. Dermot Ahern crawling around the country launching services that have yet to start construction smacks of idiocy. I suppose he'll be around again when it's done & when they turn it on.

Now Now Sceptre.

When Dermot launched the Galway fibre ring there was definitely a hole dug In The Ground near the Ballybrit Roundabout before he came down ...about 3-4 weeks ago or so.

They have gone at least 400 metress towards town since then and have made sh1te of the road outside Eircom HQ as well, fair play to ye lads .

I make completion date around 2007 or 2008 for the Galway Ring based on the 'progress' so far.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Sounds like a good idea to me, localising the push on roll-out.
    Originally posted by sceptre
    Dermot Ahern crawling around the country launching services that have yet to start construction smacks of idiocy. I suppose he'll be around again when it's done & when they turn it on.

I suppose he is just trying to get the ball rolling. Because after all, he may not be the minsiter in May '04. But what's started must be finished.

• Advertisement

Sceptre,
    I was not expecting you to get excited. I just posted some URL's that describe the Shannon Broadband project for people who may be interested.

To be more exact we have completed some peacemeal construction where synergies with other projects arose (about 3 km's to be precise)
    thegills

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

thegills

My cynicism wasn't directed at you:). And I forgot you're involved in this whole thing so you're far more aware of what's going on there than I. News of anything is always good (obviously) so keep it coming. And I'm pretty pleased that there's actually been some work done on this thing - kudos to all involved (I'm just getting pretty annoyed about the tendency of government ministers to go ribbon-searching at any opportunity)

No probs Sceptre.

In his speech the minister made no apologies for launching every MAN and theres more to come.
    At yesterdays launch Shannon Broadband also announced MoU's with ESBT and Aurora to deliver broadband to the entire Shannon Region.
    Shannon Broadband is also probing piggy-backing some fibre into the main drainage sewer running under the Shannon.
    thegills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Yay, my hometown gets BB two years after i move away from it. *sigh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 joec

I really have to say after reading the pdf brochure on the website pdf file that it makes for very interesting and positive reading for the future especially if u live in limerick city:D muck have u read it ?(i assume you have) what do u think ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Glebee

Sorry guys for bring up a very old thread. Trying to find out what ever happened to this project. I know a fortune was spent maybe 5 years ago and this stage on construction works and then it seemed to die a death. Any body any ideas? Again apologies for bring up an old thread..

Hi Glebee. The Limerick MAN was completed and has been operational for the last 6 years. e|net manage this MAN and the other 92 MAN's.

After the Cork MAN the Limerick is the most successful.

Advertisement