Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vaticans View on Homosexuality

• 01-04-2003 4:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭

Just read this on Unison
    http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=27&si=945476&issue_id=8970

(Pasted the text in for those of you who do not have a sub)

A CONTROVERSIAL new Vatican glossary of sexual terms says homosexuals are not normal and that countries which allow gay marriages are inhabited by people with "profoundly disordered minds". Italy's gay community immediately condemned the glossary of nearly 900 pages, which hit the bookstores yesterday, as part of what they called a new anti-homosexual crusade.The glossary, prepared by the Vatican's Pontifical Council for the Family, covers themes such as sexuality, condoms, abortion, birth control and genetic manipulation. A section on 'homosexuality and homophobia' says homosexuality stems from an "unresolved psychological conflict." It says that those who want to give homosexuals the same legal rights in society "deny a psychological problem which makes homosexuality against the social fabric". The glossary says that heterosexuals in society have been made to feel guilty for even questioning homosexuality. "Every criticism, every reflection on homosexuality is seen almost as blasphemy, compared to a crime: the crime of homophobia," it said. Although the stand against homosexuality and gay marriages was not new, observers found the tone more severe. Italy's gay community was outraged by the glossary, called 'Lexicon On Ambiguous and Colloquial Terms about Family Life and Ethical Questions'. "The Vatican has gone from invective to insults," said Franco Grillini, an MP for the largest opposition party, the Democrats of the Left.

Philip Pullella in Vatican City

Cannot believe that these guys have the 'balls' to call ordinary Joes (and I presume Joettes) not normal and that they also have disordered minds? Is this not incitement to hate?

On another point are Lesbians Homosexual or does the word just apply to males?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

well that is the catholic churchs standpoint on homosexuality...

it was on the irish indo this morning too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭HerrLipp

I have to go read the bible fully sometime. Read the book of Ruth which a lesbian pointed out to me and that doesn't condone lesbianism contrary to popular gay belief. The bit about David & Jonathan in the book of samuel is a lot more promising though.
    Have to go hire a crack-*** defence lawyer to take on the Vatican :)

Heard this good quote the other day actually "there are 5 references condemning homosexuality in the bible, but 500 condemning heterosexuality which goes to show that God doesn't hate heterosexuals he just thinks they need supervision"

I hope boards doesn't make any unfortunate accidental censorships in my carefully worded reply :p - "god thinks they need s*******"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Not an April fools joke, unfortunately.

Other references can be found here and here The original slim little pamphlet (weighing in at something just less than 1000 pages) was only published this week and won’t be translated into English for a little while.

That outfit who cobbled it together can be found here. JPII promoted this lot from being a relatively unimportant department to a “pontifical council“ ( the equivalent of a Government Department) early in his reign and gave it the job of stamping on all that dangerous liberal agenda stuff. The head Nazi is one Cardinal Alfonso Lopez Trujillo, a favourite of the current papa, and considered to be one of the serious contenders when JPII croaks his last croak. Despite the campy name, Alfonso’s views on stuff would be slightly to the right of Attila the Hun, which largely accounts for him being popular with JPII.

A sconse through the various utterings on their website, searching each page for any of the nasties (divorce, homosexuality, contraception {/ot:amazing the way that word has fallen from view} etc) will reveal the direction of their thoughts. Of course these published documents have had the benefit of layers of PR speak, strip away the subtle language and there is some real nasty sh1te underneath.

I’m tempted to list a string of examples, but those who are interested would gain a deeper insight reading the stuff for themselves. And anyway I couldn’t be ars3d.

Funny thing, these pontifical councils. Was reading the other day about a former member of the “Pontifical Council for Pastoral Care of Migrants and Itinerant Peoples”, one Archbishop Emmanuel Milingo from Zambia. He is another JPII creation. Raised a few eyebrows over the years with his miracle cures, exorcisms and other voodoo stuff, so they moved him back to Rome where he put on shows on a regular basis. Anyway he hit the headlines in 2001 when he shacked up with a Korean bint and took himself off to be married by the Rev. Sun Myung Moon (yes, him who founded the Moonies). Anyway good old Emanuel was less than popular with the peeps in the Vatican, who kinda laid it on the line to him that he wasn’t getting a pension if he kept up this nonsense, not to mention other more serious long term consequences. Well it appears that this brought the 71 year old to his senses, so 2 months after tying the knot he “ditched the b1tch” and rejoined the fold. Mention of offering up his enforced chastity and all that. Good Christian that he is, he managed to cope with her hunger strike in protest too. And they allowed him back in!!

And we are expected to treat them seriously???

The one part of that article that strikes a chord is the “countries which allow gay marriages are inhabited by people with "profoundly disordered minds” line. Back at you guys, cause I happen to think that a little state called the Vatican is “inhabited by people with "profoundly disordered minds”

On a very serious note, one of the articles I linked to above makes the statement “The real danger here is that, since the Catholic Church is one of the biggest providers of health and education in the world, right-wing elements within the church will use this document aggressively to obstruct government aid programs and to bully Catholic health professionals and teachers to impose the Vatican's view of sexual and human health”. These ba3tards do an awful lot of damage to young gays, robbing them of their self esteem, forcing them to suppress their sexuality and storing up all kinds of problems for the future. Alright I can't resist a few snippets "A particular problem that can appear during the process of sexual maturation is homosexuality" and "Especially when the practice of homosexual acts has not become a habit, many cases can benefit from appropriate therapy" and "In any case, persons in this situation must be accepted with respect, dignity and delicacy, and all forms of unjust discrimination must be avoided" and "If parents notice the appearance of this tendency or of related behaviour in their children, during childhood or adolescence, they should seek help" The Catholic Church isn’t all bad, no more than Gay Activists are all good, but they really really need to learn from the lessons of the past and form the words of the Gospels, and the more of this subtly worded propaganda that emerges the more I doubt that they have any real understanding of what makes people tick or the extent of the damage they have done to vunerable poeple in the past.

I’m not a gay crusader and I’m certainly not anti-religion, but we do need to be vigilant. Our current freedom’s were hard won, and I wouldn’t take much for these intellectual panzers and their dangerous bile to start rolling back the tide.

/end of rant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I'd probably care a lot more if the Catholic Church had any relevance whatsoever to public opinion and the lives of ordinary people in the western world.

Since it doesn't, they can say what they like. It's irrelevant, just like the rest of the Church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭HerrLipp

That's not strictly true. There are people who take the word of the Church seriously and are hurt by it. Case in point a gay religious man who killed himself by setting himself on fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

This sort of hypocracy from the Vatican wouldn't be so laughable, if the clerics hadn't covered up the fact it has legions of gay priests in it's ranks, consistantly.

An institution that hid and vindicated paedophilia whithin it's own ranks, has no place lecturing the rest of the world on sexual 'morality', frankly, the chruch should stick to what it does best, prolefeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

There are people who take the word of the Church seriously and are hurt by it.

I'm sorry, but that sounds like natural selection in action to me. If some old geezer in a dress told you to walk off a cliff, would you? Quite. And if you DID do as he said, you'd deserve everything that came to you (which would mostly be rocks and sand, at high speed).

Advertisement