Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referencing Sources

Options
  • 01-04-2003 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm currently writing my report for my Final Year Project. The project that i am doing is on something that i have had no prior knowledge of, so i have done a lot of reading of books and web pages to find out all i know about the topic.

Now that i am writing the report i am basicly writing down what i have learned from all the reading, in my own words, since it applies to my project.

So every sentence that i write i have learned from some source or another.

Which brings me to my question: If i am writing a paragraph, surely i don't have to reference every sentence that i write although every sentence that i write is something that i have got from another source and put in my own words!

Thanks

Niall

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭arac

no you paraphrase what you have, but anything you do directly quote from has to be referenced, i.e. footnoted. Otherwise you could be accused of plagerism and the like

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭myhandle

Originally posted by arac
    no you paraphrase what you have, but anything you do directly quote from has to be referenced, i.e. footnoted. Otherwise you could be accused of plagerism and the like

Material paraphrased from another author should be acknowledged, however a page number wouldn't be necessary usually e.g. (Smith, 2000).

If the material is common knowledge, such the date of the JFK Assassination then acknowledgement of a source is unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

For our final project we were told that anything we sourced directly had to be put into italics and also identified using a footnote!

Advertisement