Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTÉ stations to be dropped from Sky

• 01-04-2003 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Found this on radiowaves.fm .

NATIONAL: RTÉ stations to be dropped from Sky

RTÉ's radio stations RTÉ Radio 1 and 2FM are to be dropped from Sky's EPG following a row over coverage of the war in Iraq, Radiowaves News has learned. A source within RTÉ revealed that Sky had already protested to RTÉ about their anti-war coverage, believing it to be biased. RTÉ felt that their coverage should remain independent. However, the Scottish-based satellite provider are relying on a clause in the contract between the two companies to force the two stations off the EPG. Although they will be removed at midnight tonight, both RTÉ Radio 1 & 2FM will still be available via the 'Other Channels' menu.

Will anyone actually care if these are no longer on DSat?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Sniff Sniff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭muffinhead

i am so upset! radio1 and 2fm were the main reason I got sky!

APRIL FOOLS;) :D:D !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Ah, are you sure that article isn't in fact, an april fools?

We'll see tomorrow I suppose, but I'd say it's more than likly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

/me looks at calander, yup, it's that day of the year again!

Of course, we all know what News Corp. owned network is one of the most biased in the west..

F O X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Irulan

If anti war stations were to be taken off? Channel Four would be first on the list. This station shoulld be renamed Channela Foura, for the duration of the war. I have never seen such open, blatant hostility towards anyone in favour of the war, as is carried out by Channel Four newsreaders. I think this might just be April fool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

When was Ch 4 added to the Irish EPG then?

First I heard about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭timpat

Did these radio stations disappear as claimed by that Radio waves forum?

If not, I am beginning to suspect that between this story and the one about UTV and ITV" coming on 1 June, the radiowaves forum deserves to be blacklisted as a source of misinformation to be treated with extreme caution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Three to go

People have a terrible habit of slagging things off without reading things carefully. in this story it was mentioned that a clause in the contract between Sky and RTÉ was the reason that Sky could remove the stations. So whatever other stations were getting up to had no bearing on this story.

timpat, the story posted on this thread was on the news section of the Radiowaves site. It was not on the forum. And before you slagged it off, if you checked the page, this has since been added:
    This story was, of course, an April Fool's spoof. Well done to those who spotted it - although there were a few people, some of whom i once respected fell for it!!!

When I read this from timpat
    and the one about UTV and ITV" coming on 1 June, the radiowaves forum deserves to be blacklisted as a source of misinformation to be treated with extreme caution
    I must admit to having a good chuckle. Hasn't he read some of the other threads in this very forum particularly the ITV & Ch4 coming soon miscarriage of information? This was the very reason why I posted the information to the Radiowaves forum!

This board has been very good at not slagging off other sites. Please don't go down that road or you will alienate people.

• Advertisement

And as a n00b with 3 posts today, we (ICDG and me) call the shots here, we mod with authority and the upmost clarity.

Thank you for your concern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Three to go

I must say that you've charmed the pants off me!
    Do you always give this sort of welcome to newcomers?
    I don't think anybody was questioning anybody's authority!
    My reply was a direct response to your member's claim that another site was carrying false information. I was pointing out that it was a bit of a silly thing to do - considering.
    There was no intent to knock the site, which I mentioned elsewhere I've enjoyed for many months. Sorry for upsetting the clique that appears to exist here.

Originally posted by Three to go
    I must say that you've charmed the pants off me!

Well, I'm flattered. :o

Do you always give this sort of welcome to newcomers?

No, I welcome them, one and all, if you see any post here from a newbie, I always tend to getting around to give them a warm welcome. A lot of people here can be intimidated, as they might not know the subject too well and a wee welcome along breaks the ice. Unless you are wearing thigh length waders.

I don't think anybody was questioning anybody's authority!
    My reply was a direct response to your member's claim that another site was carrying false information. I was pointing out that it was a bit of a silly thing to do considering, there was no intent to knock the site, which I mentioned elsewhere I've enjoyed for many months. Sorry for upsetting the clique that so obviously exists here.

I enjoy the radiowaves site. I love the Anorak Hour on it. Maybe timpat has not seen the site before that, and his first impression is not to his liking. I'm only guessing. But I am not going to defend him, they are his views. If he wishes to apologise, he can, he knows where the post reply button is. Radiowaves, as much as ICDG, boards.ie, DigitalSpy, MHP and and all the other media forums know that members views may not be representative of what the owners or moderators think.

Sorry for upsetting the clique that so obviously exists here.

No clique, just here longer and seen things come full circle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I always don my asbestos overcoat before approaching the internet.

If you really fealling cold go to a really cliquish linux / unix newsgroups in alt.os.gibberish something and "top-post" in HTML with an MS Office attachment from Outlook. You'll halve your heating bill :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Other obvious April fools I got that day were:
    The NT Bugtraq mailing list "evil bit" Internet RFC (malicious packes should have the evil bit set..)

The All known vunriblities patch for Outlook/ Internet explorer with lots of links to Microsoft. Microsoft NEVER EVER email an "exe" so the patch.exe might have been a joke or virus, not likely a patch. Hitting "show all headers" revealed the email came from a lorna.woods@ntl.com which doesn't sound like my good buddies in Seattle :D

And good ole Rob Rosenburger's Symantec Virus purchase Warrenty registration card.

Read the bold again... Go to www.vmyths.com for a heavy dose of anti hysteria sarcasm, irony and humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭timpat

I would just like to apologise to Three to Go for any offence caused. Nothing personal.

But to hear 2 pretty outrageous pieces of news from a site I personally never visited before yesterday, I have to say may have led me to judge that site unfavourably - is that not understandable?

The RTE story has turned out to be an April Fools caper so I take everything back about that AND about the Radiowaves forum.

But the information posted in relation to UTV and ITV2 is a different matter. Any seasoned observer and participant on this site knows the frustration of hearing rumour after rumour about UTV's supposed imminent arrival. There is an unofficial code in place on this issue, which I fully agree with, that rumours shouldn't be posted and that any information should be backed up by named sources. That just saves us all a lot of time and makes perfect sense. That way we can separate the wood from the trees.

On the UTV/C4 thread yesterday I made a number of points about the post you made on Radiowaves which I felt were valid criticisms, based on what I know (which is by no means a whole lot!) and I came to the conclusion that it wasn't true. That's my opinion and if you read the previous 19 pages of that thread you will come across various other claims on this issue, NONE of which have transpired.

So please pardon my scepticism. Its well founded.

In your latest reply though you state that issues have yet to be ironed out with Carlton/Granada. Does this not conflict with the original post which says negotiations are complete???

I'm sorry - I would love to believe this story and I hope that events on 1 June will prove me wrong but there are just too many things that don't stand up.

By all means please prove me wrong - if you can clarify any of the points I have raised that would be great.

That is what this forum is all about - getting answers and debating things. The fact that your post has received such a reaction is actually a good thing. Its given us something to think about, to discuss and to question. No bad thing!!!

So again, apologies and welcome!

(PS I'm copying this post to the ITV/C4 thread as it concerns both!)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Alright ... enough now.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement