Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need to send a 1-2Mbits signal 400Meters...

Options
  • 01-04-2003 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭

I have 2 office buildings and I need to connect the 2 LANS in these buildings. There is plenty of CAT3 cables running under the ground for the phone system.
    Is there a way that I can utilize a few of these pairs to allow me to get a 1-2Mbit connection between the buildings?
    The length of the cables is about 400 Meters.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

If you're lucky - really lucky - you can get 10BaseT over it. Failing that, a pair of stand-alone SDSL modems will sort you out. A bit of research and a hundred dollars on ebay should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭lynchie

If security is imperative then this may not be practical, but a 802.11g Access point with a 802.11g usb/pcmcia card would work over 400m providing there is some LOS between the buildings. You can use 128bit WEP over the link for security and if still paranoid, you should be able to run a vpn link through it again to keep the data secure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Ro

I'd go with the DSL route - two of these should work - they cost about €350 each:

http://www.zyxel.com/product/model.php?indexcate=1022048898&indexcate1=1022045510&indexFlagvalue=1021873638

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

While they should work, Bricks intends to use what is known as a dry pair.

A normal pair has electricity running through it from the Echange (the CO ) , therefore the Csustomer end (the CPE) does not need to power the line, mereley to transmit and receive data ver the line powered by the CO

In this case the CPE also needs to power the line. The CPE will be the same at both ends...maybe.

One or both of the CPE devices needs to be configured to power the line before they start to throw data at each other.

Here's a pointer or Two for ya. Also see This

Tell us how ya go.

M

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Just on the off chance you could use it to pull another cable through when taking it out - fibre would be then mutt's nutt -

Doubt you'd find that old thick ethernet - but if you could then you'd have 10Mb over the distance.

Since you could have multiple pairs you could set your routing so that one pair is used in each direction thus improving on half duplex - but that's only if you can get cheap gear..
    Depending on the traffic type check and see if the devices support compession ;)

----

Not sure if any of the 1Mb "home networks" stuff that works on phone lines would cover the distance..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

I use a HomeLink System from Linksys.

It runs on either an existing phone system or on a 'dry' link (non exchange wired ) over any cheap phone cables. It does not interfere with existing DSL/voice services.

I have it runing at 1Mbit but a 10mbit flavour is available.

www.linksys.com -

maplin have them (10mbit) or compustore sandyford have a few old 1 mbit's kicking around.

tribble

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Originally posted by tribble
    I use a HomeLink System from Linksys.

It runs on either an existing phone system or on a 'dry' link (non exchange wired ) over any cheap phone cables. It does not interfere with existing DSL/voice services.

I have it runing at 1Mbit but a 10mbit flavour is available.

www.linksys.com -

maplin have them (10mbit) or compustore sandyford have a few old 1 mbit's kicking around.

tribble

Looks like a nice piece of kit but according to the user manual its limited to 150Meters:(
    I'd be nice to be able to use these boxes alright.
    I'm also looking at the SDSL posibilities.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://users.erols.com/amccull/lanext.htm

Also have a look at serial port extenders / modem extenders as quick way to get something in place and can also use it as an admin backup in case you need to IP into a device on the other end of the cable or as an email / internet backup - some do up to 128Kb over the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    Just on the off chance you could use it to pull another cable through when taking it out - fibre would be then mutt's nutt

I'm with Capt'n Midnight, pull through a fibre cable - AFAIK it good for 1000baseT at distances up to 500 meters

Advertisement